2012 Dredd 3D Printed Helmet Build

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Starting my first 3D helmet build of the 2012 Dredd helmet. As you can see, this portion barely fits on my build plate of the Ender 3 Pro. We'll see how it goes!

dredd1.jpg
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
So far so good. I’m extremely new to the 3D print world so this is all a learning experience as I go. Once this section is done I’ll tune the settings a little and go from there.

EB2211CD-38C0-4167-88BA-671BB791AA5B.jpeg
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Wow! I've been 3d printing for a few years but I'm just getting used to my new Ender 5. This is looking VERY tasty. :)
Thanks! So far I'm happy with the way the Endor prints. Had to switch to a clear/white PLA for the second print as I was running out of the black. Hopefully it's the same print quality since it's the same company.
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Ok thanks, because their were some bad reviews about it breaking down after it was built.
From what I’ve read before I bought it, the 3 Pro vs the 3 is a big improvement, especially the Y axis. The only issue I had was when I put it together and I had the Z motor rod too tight. Otherwise have had no issues at all.
 

funboy1013xx

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
curious, I thought the printer beds were better off "smooth as glass". your's look's textured? either way the helmet is looking great so far. (y)
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Thank you :). It’s a magnetic bed so I’m using a magnetic sheet the pulls off. Just a slight bend to the magnetic build sheet and everything pops off and no need to jab at the base of the build with the spatula.
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
The two top halves of the helmet line up perfectly and nothing is warped. Printed a bottom piece overnight and it's looking just fine as well. The top kind of looks like a Deathstroke/Dredd mashup :lol:. Filling the seams and sanding this should be a breeze.

1.jpg

2.jpg
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Think I’ll reprint the one half of the bottom of the helmet. I noticed that there was a very thin almost separation in it. I could easily repair it by reinforcing the inside and filling the line to make sure it doesn’t snap off the bottom portion but I’d rather find out why it did this and print a newer solid one.

58C521B5-FBA3-424C-ABEA-637151262A25.jpeg


I ended up lowering my extruder temp 5 degrees to see if that would help after noticing the separation happened at the transition from thick to thinner levels at the crossbar.

D5A70BAC-8CB3-4425-BC96-EDE51D4AEF6F.jpeg


I’ll find out in the morning how the other bottom portion looks with the changes I made to the settings. If all goes well then I’ll reprint this one.
 

DiggsBarklightr

Well-Known Member
Printed the other lower half with the setting changes and it looks like it printed very well with no split. With that, I can now reprint the other side and start gluing it together for sanding and fill etc.

3.jpg
 
Top