2011 RPF Halloween Photo Gallerie

simul8r

Thought I’d start a thread on a more positive and creative note surrounding our last RPF Halloween contest.

Frankly, I think the best photo I had submitted of my beloved Xeno wasn’t portrayed well enough so I thought I’d give it another shot, call it practice for next year's contest...maybe. After seeing the photos entered by others I thought the collage approach was the most brilliant way to show the costume off and I wished I had done something similar. Well, here it is. I included the before photo for comparison, man that sucked!

I invite others here to do the same. Just cause Halloween's over doesn't mean we still can't have some fun with this.

Remember, keep it to 800 pixels on any side as stated by the rules.

2011-rpf-halloween-photo-gallerie-aliencoulage2.jpg-75451d1321946413

Last edited:
I just watched the remastered version of Aliens last week. That movie was way ahead of its time. Hudson had me LMAO. "Game over man, game over!!"

You did an amazing job on that costume. You replicated it with such fidelity. Bravo!!
I love the contrast in textures that you used. It really brings alot of life to it.

Glad you liked my collage idea Sim. :) I kinda started that on accident here. It's something I've always done with our finished costumes, to make a collage to show different poses or action shots or front and back and usually a reference with it of the actual cartoon character or whatever that I made it from too, just to show the completed work.

This is my son's Bumblebee from Transformers Animated that he wore for Halloween this year:

BIGBeepicture.jpg

@ Pokeman: 'Oh, you want some of this?'...yeah, Hudson's a trip. Luv him. Appreciate the compliments on the costume :thumbsup

@ LadyMegatron: So you started the collage idea? Brilliant! I was like bummed when I saw some of the guys come up with theirs. This, definately, should be a big requirement for next year's event. BTW, very nice work on your son's suit.

Last edited:
@ Pokeman: 'Oh, you want some of this?'...yeah, Hudson's a trip. Luv him. Appreciate the compliments on the costume :thumbsup

@ LadyMegatron: So you started the collage idea? Brilliant! I was like bummed when I saw some of the guys come up with theirs. This, definately, should be big requirement for next year's event. BTW, very nice work on your son's suit.

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken as a man?
Vasquez: No have you?

Classic line!

Not sure if I commented in your other thread, but that's a great alien outfit. It sure beats the chestburster costume I made out of a sock when I was in high school.

My costume didn't really require a lot of different angles this year, certainly not a back view. That might have led to fewer votes :lol I guess I could have used one of the face closeups I got, just because I think it looked cool. But either of the ones I'm planning for next year might benefit from a collage. Could someone tell me how to do it?
I don't know if anyone noticed it, but I had made an avatar using a proof pic that didn't turn out right. Now that the contest is over, I'm looking for ideas on what next to write on the piece of paper. Any suggestions?

@ Doh2: Thanks Doh, hopefully I'll be using this next year at another event. I will be including my other half by dressing her to look like Ripley in Aliens with a modded nerf gun and me in a plastic chain leash...geez, the image with me in leather suit sounds erotic already :lol

@ kialna: The director's cut was my favorite. It included some parts that was mentioned on paperback that wasn't shown when it first came out in theaters. I'll be looking forward on seeing your collage, Kialna.

@ mothmonty: Hey thanks friend glad you liked it. There still room for improvements but honestly I didn't think I could pull it off at first. It was only until I started adding teeth to a foam block head I carved out :love

Last edited:
rpf-2nd-annual-halloween-contest-male-vote-now-49-scorpion.jpg-74066d1320648666

Here's me! The funny thing is I had a Batman costume at the ready as well that I thought turned out way better, but I didn't enter it because I feared there would be 100's of them. Turned out there were about as many Batmen as MK characters!

My costume didn't really require a lot of different angles this year, certainly not a back view. That might have led to fewer votes :lol I guess I could have used one of the face closeups I got, just because I think it looked cool. But either of the ones I'm planning for next year might benefit from a collage. Could someone tell me how to do it?
I don't know if anyone noticed it, but I had made an avatar using a proof pic that didn't turn out right. Now that the contest is over, I'm looking for ideas on what next to write on the piece of paper. Any suggestions?

Hi Lois, sure I'd luv to help. If your familiar with XP's MS paint then your half way there, this is what I used. I'm not very familiar with photoshop and I find paint kinda simple.

When you grab a picture you can go to the 'image' menu and toggle 'stretch/skew', you lower the 'stretch' part only using 'horizontal and vertical' (hv). I normally start down to 25% for both hv and work from there because now it becomes a guessing game. Copy and open up a new blank page and paste. From there, go back into 'image' and toggle 'attributes'. Toggle 'pixels' under 'units' this will show pixel size. Now, if your limited to 800 x 800 pixel sheet then basically you'll have to play with each picture your going to use for the collage in order to fit. Using the 'select' toggle helps as well if you want to frame out background or empty space around the image your zero'ing on after lowering your attributes. Takes a little practice and saving your work with each picture is the key.

Oh, this will also work if your wanting to change your avatar photo, just find out what size your limited to. Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Here's me! The funny thing is I had a Batman costume at the ready as well that I thought turned out way better, but I didn't enter it because I feared there would be 100's of them. Turned out there were about as many Batmen as MK characters!

Saw that to, but hey, everybody's got have a favorite I suppose. I'm digging the collage though brotha! Your pose next to the animated Scorpion looks strikingly spot on. Something about black and yellow that just draws you into it too.

BTW, how did get your collage to show as it did rather than in a thumbnail like mine turned out? That's what I want to learn.

Last edited:
We'll here is a collage of the costume I built. I was pretty bummed that they changed the rules after I had submitted and left town for the weekend. I think thay would have had less grief if they hadent changed the rules during the contest. But it mattered not as I didnt get one vote. But I built mine with a budget of $30.00 and stuff from the garage. With all the store bought costumes around here he really stood out. I was proud of my effort and the smile on my sons face was what really mattered.

attachment.php

We'll here is a collage of the costume I built. I was pretty bummed that they changed the rules after I had submitted and left town for the weekend. I think thay would have had less grief if they hadent changed the rules during the contest. But it mattered not as I didnt get one vote. But I built mine with a budget of $30.00 and stuff from the garage. With all the store bought costumes around here he really stood out. I was proud of my effort and the smile on my sons face was what really mattered.

Ok, a blow up and a thumbnail? How are you all doing this? Gotta look into this. :confused

You kidding me, just $30? I say right on! I surpassed my budget at the final moments of my build and I'm still in denial up to now. Your son looks proud, dad! Looks better than store bought in my books. Is it heavy cause it looks like it is. 'Who you gonna call?'

Last edited:
Ok, are you all inserting a URL image cause that's the only thing I'm not doing when posting pictures. :confused

Last edited:
@ Idaho Jones: AH HUH!...got it Mr Jones, appreciate the help(y)thumbsup

@ Master Dahark:Hmmm, confusing, gotta look into it more.

EDIT: Sorry got you 2 mixed up...hehe

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back