2001 Space Station docking bay WIP

Done in terms of construction: I have to wire the lights, build the light wells and supports to display the "Plug" + a base.
Lots of work to do still;)
1631889005751.jpeg

The posted screencaps seems to show parallel walls...or am I miss-seeing that? By contrast, the side walls of your extraordinary!!! recreation appear to slant inward toward the back of the bay. Is it everyone's take that the miniature's bay did indeed taper? If so

1)Is this to be interpreted as a forced perspective element?
2)If so (direct question to joberg here) can you provide the angle of taper, width of bay's greater and lesser widths, and the "full width" section's depth (in relation to hub diameter, of course)?

Finally, should we presume the film's hub miniature was meant for filming from both "outside" and from within? (which is to say: can this be confirmed by posted photos of the hub miniature?)

Personally, it's always seemed to me the "from interior" shot appeared to show a forced perspective miniature whose bay width tapered inward TOWARD the bay's opening. Or am I misreading that also?

(BTW, I'd be hot to trot to purchase a casting, too)

David Winfrey

David, thanks for the comments/questions.:)
The base of the side walls, that is from the floor, is 12"1/4. The top of the side wall, ceiling, is 11"3/4. Slight angle as we can see on the screen-used model.
One part of the back walls is parallel to the opening of the docking bay, then slants toward the "hangar" opening at the end of the bay (see post #78 and #95).

Lens distortion is always a problem when researching/looking at pics:(. Unless I had direct physical interaction with the original model, or the person who did the restoration, had given me the actual measurements, all I could do was to blow the image on my computer screen until it was 15" wide.
From there, I measured each and every details/panels/greeblies using that screen pic (the real measurements are in the wonderful book titled: "2001: The Lost Science" by Adam K. Johnson (a member here and creator of AjaModels) are from the original blueprints.

The pics/video of the model can be found on post #60.
Another model was build for the scene showing the Orion approaching the Space Station V. This model was built in a bigger scale than the one built for the Space Station model. No one has found info/measurement/additional pics on that model to date:(

Again, no forced perspective or tapering of the walls...optical distortion from lens used (my IPhone cam included).

Alas, no casting will be offered, too many greeblies/details have to be casted separately and this is not something that I want to do at the moment.;)

joeberg,
Many fond memories of working in hangars on aircraft earlier in life. Special spaces for flying machines. You have the perspective view perfect. Lighting especially magic at night when towing planes in and out.

joeberg,
Many fond memories of working in hangars on aircraft earlier in life. Special spaces for flying machines. You have the perspective view perfect. Lighting especially magic at night when towing planes in and out.
Thanks Searun...eager to get that Orion miniature sitting in situ in that docking bay;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back