2001 Space Station docking bay WIP

I'll tell the Wife;) I'm still trying to find a way on how to finish the paint job on that model. Seems to me that there wasn't a lot of "wear and tear" on that model. 2001 is odd in that dept.: Space Station V, Discovery, EVA Pods are pretty "clean". The ones with a lot of wear and tear are the Aries-1B and the Moonbus. Then, there's the other docking bay where you're seeing more of a paneling effect and some drips and stuff on the walls.
So, I'll experiment on pre-painted pieces to see what kind of wash I could use.

"The ones with a lot of wear and tear are the Aries-1B and the Moonbus. Then, there's the other docking bay where you're seeing more of a paneling effect and some drips and stuff on the walls."

Do you mean to say that both sides of the space station 5 docking bays were finished with an interior and this one is the one from the Russian side? And the completed side had the "paneling effect and some drips and stuff on the walls".

I never saw any up close images of the Russian side.

"The ones with a lot of wear and tear are the Aries-1B and the Moonbus. Then, there's the other docking bay where you're seeing more of a paneling effect and some drips and stuff on the walls."

Do you mean to say that both sides of the space station 5 docking bays were finished with an interior and this one is the one from the Russian side? And the completed side had the "paneling effect and some drips and stuff on the walls".

I never saw any up close images of the Russian side.
The docking bay is this one:
1630535214747.png

This one was a big set and, as you can see, they had the scale to add the "wear and tear" on the wall panels and some on the floor/ceiling also.
I believe that this set was supposed to be filmed with the Orion model physically going inside!! Like they did with the set for the Aries-1B.
Imagine the Aries at 30"wide and that set must have been at least 4 feet higho_O Same with this one, just 4 feet wide;)

1630594935939.png

Looking at that shot from the movie, I always wondered if they had tried to shoot the Orion model going inside that big docking bay, or was it to just film the undercarriage :unsure:

Isn't this from a 2001-inspired short? I have my doubts Kubrick would have used a 16mm Bolex.
Possible...I don't know if the SFX people used a 16mm to experiment for certain shots:unsure: Why shot on 65mm and waste good film? Get the rushes developed and see that it didn't work in 16mm is less expensive than 65mm in my book. Then again, someone who should know is Doug Trumbull, not me; it's my two cents worth:p

Possible...I don't know if the SFX people used a 16mm to experiment for certain shots:unsure: Why shot on 65mm and waste good film? Get the rushes developed and see that it didn't work in 16mm is less expensive than 65mm in my book. Then again, someone who should know is Doug Trumbull, not me; it's my two cents worth:p

I knew I'd seen photos from this short before. See the thread here:

Same Bolex as in the shot of the Orion, which is either the Aurora or Airfix kit judging by its length; the filming miniature was something like 42" long.

It would be nice to have more behind-the-scenes photos of 2001. Alas, these are not the real deal.

That pic (and the ones in the other thread) is from a student project by Aussie guy, Rob Conn, while at film school back in the early '80s.
He was a 2001 nut back then and the movie of course inspired his career in fx.

Last edited:
I knew I'd seen photos from this short before. See the thread here:

Same Bolex as in the shot of the Orion, which is either the Aurora or Airfix kit judging by its length; the filming miniature was something like 42" long.

It would be nice to have more behind-the-scenes photos of 2001. Alas, these are not the real deal.
Ah, yes that famous short...had forgotten about it:whistle: You're right...seems like the same camera/set-up

Right and here's a few pics: did the hangar door at the back and the "second room" at the very back of the docking bay, so that Orion's nose can fit in;)
Question: since the Orion cannot pivot inside the bay, how come we see it going forward in the poster:oops:
Answer: because it's looking good:p

1630688981102.jpeg

1630689083251.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back