2001 one man POD CC casting

mr.predicta

here are shots of the interior I built last month for the Captain Cardboard on man space pod as in 2001.the kit it self is great but the interior left much to be desired.
thankfully the internet has a group that has been working on a accurate interior and has most of the hard work done .You can download the plans and get overlays for a very low cost. :D http://p214.ezboard.com/bonemanspacepodworkinggroup
I cut and assembled most of the interior while on a camping trip.with no instruction sheet I figured how most of it went together- it fits together very well ,then made adjustments when I made it home.
the roof was thermal formed over an old japanese bowl I had that gave me the right curvature and detail.the interior was built from sheet plastic with clear pieces cut for the illuminated surfaces.
most of the lighting will be old school grain of wheat bulbs so I will have to figure out a way to replace them ,My plan is to have the two "Earmuffs"removable with a twist.
The exterior has yet to be painted so I just used a few cool lghts to make it interesting. bought this from a friend in our prop club want to do justice to the fine pattern work of the shell.
Enjoy
MSL

whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.

whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.

whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.
whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.
whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.
whk.... PONNNNGGGGG.

deet deet deet deet deet....

:D

Looks great. :thumbsup

Hello HAL do you read me...

HAL?

HAL.

Quick question. I'm geting ready to put lights into a 1/18 Delorean Time machine dash, and think I've found a way to do it right;)

Can you go into more detail of how the illumination works? Panel overlay etc.
Thanks

well...what can i say? I am, as humans say, flattered.

Yes...It's a very good likeness.

you're coming along very well.

Seriously though...that is mindblowingly cool.
well done
:thumbsup :thumbsup

Originally posted by HAL9000@Oct 4 2005, 11:53 PM
well...what can i say?  I am, as humans say, flattered.

Yes...It's a very good likeness.

you're coming along very well.

Seriously though...that is mindblowingly cool.
well done
:thumbsup  :thumbsup
[snapback]1090090[/snapback]​

Wow. thanks HAL .your one of the good ones man . :thumbsup

as for Hot Shot - there is realy no secret ,its just back lit with regular grain of wheat bulbs .the panels were printed using a color copier on acetate these were cemented onto clear plastic sheets cut to size.the way I attatched the printed image to the base was with clear wide double sided carpet tape I found at home depo.you cant use spray adhesive because the ink is water based.found that out quick.
MSL

Very cool. That's the direction I was headed. Good tip on the glue though, I was ready to use the spray..
Keep up the good work.

the panels were printed using a color copier on acetate these

Is this a color laser or ink? Also, what DPI are you printing those panels out on?

These panels look really nice and have my brain working overtime with the possibilities.

Greg

That's probably the coolest model I've ever seen.

Thanks.

How big is it and what did it cost?

Im not sure what the original kit went for, I think it was about 250?...I bought it second hand with all the upgrade parts for a song $ 100.00.

the panels were purchase from the one man pod working group posted at the top of the thread.

That is a beautiful job--here is the one I did

2001pod1small.JPG

2001podjp.JPG

That is a beautiful job--here is the one I did

Thats a terrific Job. ;)
That is the Interior that came with the kit,which is fine but not really accurate . I have this nasty desease which makes me want what I see on the big screen.doing a recreation of a movie set in small scale is a series of discoveries when you put together photo reference into a 3-d model and see how it all fits together.you can almost imagine what it must have been like to sit next to the real thing.
Yours is a bit further along than mine I need to find the time and finish this one up.
Thanks for showing off your model.

It' really looks great.

I hope to receive my 2001 DVD box (the limited edition with the framed cel and soundtrack) today. Can't wait. I've also just begun to reread "Filming the Future".

Cheers
Niels

Thanks Mr Predicta

Your interior takes it a lot further- I am very impressed

While we are on ship interiors here is my cutaway Millenium Falcon and lit up Jupiter 2

P

47b4d909b3127cceb361368254720000001610_1.jpg

47b4d910b3127cceb30bc0b2c1bd0000001610_2.jpg

smallJ2.JPG

Very cool. nice job on the falcon.
like the weathering is that a scratch of a kit build?
I have a J2 with a scraich built interior That I am up dating with light wire for the struts in the main floor everything else is lit using grain of wheat bulbs.it also has the rotating fusion core.The hull ia an old vacform from lunar I may get the more accurate hull and just swap it out.
posted pix of my Jupiter 2 , listed under studio scale J2 using light wire.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back