2001: food tray

Hey everyone! I was away from the forum for a bit after finishing the illustrations/logo/instructions for the tray, but had to share how great the finished replica turned out, courtesy of joberg:

View attachment 1065632

Here's a size comparison to another 2001: A Space Odyssey replica prop of mine; a light-up Zero Gravity Toilet instructions sign I made:

View attachment 1065633

Thanks Markus! I used a combination of 4K screenshots, Blu-ray screenshots, and production photographs of the props as reference, and I recreated each of the illustrations as closely as possible to the originals by essentially redrawing them on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Sorry, I won't be making the high-res versions available since joberg and I will be selling these trays. Please PM him if you're interested in purchasing one.

Here's a little curiosity I came across: Someone tweeted images from the recent Stanley Kubrick exhibition at the Design Museum in London of the concept sketches for this food tray prop, and a photo of a tray that wasn't seen on screen but must've been used in production. As you can see, most of the Liquipaks are the same as the ones in the tray we've replicated, but with the addition of what looks like ham and fried egg (?). Just an interesting alternate version of the more iconic prop.

View attachment 1065643

Click here to see the full tweet.
Thanks SquidMan for the post on your graphics! I didn’t realize there was a variant, great work

Here's a size comparison to another 2001: A Space Odyssey replica prop of mine; a light-up Zero Gravity Toilet instructions sign I made:

Thank you for the detailed description how you made the illustrations. I also like the photo together with the "Zero Gravity Toilet Instructions" - I made that myself some time ago (posted on my blog). But I did not yet have the opportunity to put it into a light box. And I also have the Shining photo, it's hanging in my office.

SquidMan...that tray looks good near those instructions;) Thanks for that Tweet; looks interesting for sure. I wonder if it's the real deal.
Maybe we could do 2 types of trays: one with the ham and the egg and then the other kind with the peas and the carrots.:)

SquidMan...that tray looks good near those instructions;) Thanks for that Tweet; looks interesting for sure. I wonder if it's the real deal.
Maybe we could do 2 types of trays: one with the ham and the egg and then the other kind with the peas and the carrots.:)

Thanks joberg!

And I believe that it is the real deal, the familiar labels match exactly. This photo is too low-res for me to work from to recreate the ham and egg illustrations, so at least for now, I think we'll have to keep our replica to being of the hero prop only.

After making a few minor tweaks, I'm loving the way my collaboration with joberg has turned out:

3biZtfd.jpg

22pOIQc.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back