2001 Discovery prop replica

No, it's an all new 3d printed 5 footer. Available now only as a built replica, but they say it will be released as a kit at some point. I inquired as to the cost of the pre-built a while back. VERY expensive. I'm sure the kit will be really pricy too, but it looks great.

From what I've read, the build-up is roughly $11,000 US and a kit, if and when it gets released, is supposed to be in the $400 range. The model is about 60 inches long.

It was 16K when I talked to them about it in February. So it's come down quit a bit :)
The kit would be a bargain at 400. Hopefully it's decent. The piping on the engine modules.... so nice.

Price is listed in the link from the OP:
$14,949.00 USD

Limited production run. Orders close September 30, 2019
Expected delivery December 2019.

I can't see how they would ask for less than 3% the cost of the finished one for the kit??...

Discovery One is an icon and this a beautiful model.

Alas, I won’t be able to get one, but I’ll look forward to seeing in hand photos.

How would they ship something like this?

Again, just reporting what I recall hearing before, so I could definitely be wrong as nothing I heard was "official." I also suspect a lot of that piping is added for the custom build-ups so it might not be present in any kit that gets released.

Last year, Kaiyodo were talking about doing this limited run, super expensive version but also a kit and built up replica that was much, much more modestly priced at around $1200 or so dollars (funny that's modestly priced that way but way better than $15,000). Wonder what the plans are for the kit and this other cheaper replica?

To clear up questions about shipping, we've recently updated the page to specify:

$14,949.00 USD
Price all inclusive.($14,326.00 USD + Shipping/Handling $623.00 USD)

Shipping will be by DHL (express courier with tracking), and shipping insurance is also included in the price!

I saw this at SDCC, beautiful detail! However, I'd be very concerned about how well a 3d printed collectible will hold up long term. Assuming it's made from UV cured 3d printed resin, which is definitely NOT considered archival. For 15 grand I'd want to know I was buying something that could be expected to last.

Here's some shots that I took at SDCC. It was pretty impressive!

Attachments

• IMG_7025.jpg
    IMG_7025.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7027.jpg
    IMG_7027.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_7029.jpg
    IMG_7029.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_7030.jpg
    IMG_7030.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7031.jpg
    IMG_7031.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7032.jpg
    IMG_7032.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7036.jpg
    IMG_7036.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_7041.jpg
    IMG_7041.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_7043.jpg
    IMG_7043.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 251
I saw this at SDCC, beautiful detail! However, I'd be very concerned about how well a 3d printed collectible will hold up long term. Assuming it's made from UV cured 3d printed resin, which is definitely NOT considered archival. For 15 grand I'd want to know I was buying something that could be expected to last.

The Discovery One is produced by an SLA 3D printer, and has UV block coating applied to the parts to protect them against UV damage.

The manufacturer is aware that there are rumors circulating about 3D printed parts' longevity but doesn't believe there is any scientific evidence to support such claims. For what it's worth, the manufacturer's product testing also shows no signs of deterioration more than three years after production of parts.

If you have any more questions about product quality, we'll do our best to answer them!

Here's some shots that I took at SDCC. It was pretty impressive!

Beautiful photos! Thanks for stopping by the booth.

Can you be more specific about the 3D printer and resin being used?

Unfortunately, we can't -- as much as we would like to be able to provide more information, the specific printers and materials used for the Discovery are trade secrets and can't be shared.

We'll go ahead and sum up the information that we can offer (though some of it has already appeared in this thread):

Each Discovery One model is produced using highly-advanced SLA 3D printer technology, the same which is often used by Hollywood studios for film prop creation. In addition to machine printing, details are added by handcrafting experts to achieve the most accurate finished product possible, with parts coated with UV block coating to protect against UV damage.

I'm also one who's concerned about choosing materials that will stand the test of time. While UV-cured SLA resins are a relatively new development, it's my understanding many of these resins are acrylic based. That is one material that can indeed stand the test of time and so it gives me more confidence when deciding whether to include resin printed parts in my own projects.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back