2001: A Space Odyssey/ Discovery EVA Suits WIP

The front pack looks great already. Btw, didn't they have a matt kind of PVC? I don't mean to discard the idea of having it high gloss; makes for an interesting variation for sure. The matt would be, of course, closer to the original look.
Couldn't find any...I had actually begun the process to get the leather, but cost effectiveness is definitely a factor. Supple glove leather is available commercially, but not in blue, so that's a custom dye job right there. Plus, if you've worked leather before you know that it isn't sold by the yard, it's sold by the side and half side. We would need about 6 sides per suit which would be anywhere from $100 per side and up...it adds up quickly. I still have neck rings to machine from billet aluminum, along with the arm and leg suit cuffs. Like I've said before, I started this project unwilling to compromise but we would never finish if I didn't.

Couldn't find any...I had actually begun the process to get the leather, but cost effectiveness is definitely a factor. Supple glove leather is available commercially, but not in blue, so that's a custom dye job right there. Plus, if you've worked leather before you know that it isn't sold by the yard, it's sold by the side and half side. We would need about 6 sides per suit which would be anywhere from $100 per side and up...it adds up quickly. I still have neck rings to machine from billet aluminum, along with the arm and leg suit cuffs. Like I've said before, I started this project unwilling to compromise but we would never finish if I didn't.
The original was not leather. This seems to be a common misconception. (I was fortunate to have an original suit for a few months to study and pattern)
It was basically the same vinylized spandex material you are using, you just need to spray the pieces with a satin clear or the color you want. If you look at stills from the film, you can see in a number of them, a pretty good shine off the suit fabric. The original suits started as silver, and then were painted to get the other colors. The suit I looked at started as silver, then yellow, red, then back to silver.
However, on your suit, the legs are way too tight / form fitting. The original had spiral wire duct hose in the arms and legs, so they formed a straight cylinder.

The original was not leather. This seems to be a common misconception. (I was fortunate to have an original suit for a few months to study and pattern)
It was basically the same vinylized spandex material you are using, you just need to spray the pieces with a satin clear or the color you want. If you look at stills from the film, you can see in a number of them, a pretty good shine off the suit fabric. The original suits started as silver, and then were painted to get the other colors. The suit I looked at started as silver, then yellow, red, then back to silver.
However, on your suit, the legs are way too tight / form fitting. The original had spiral wire duct hose in the arms and legs, so they formed a straight cylinder.
Well then you have a very unique perspective, one which I wish I had!

That leg is a prototype...we're bailing on the rigid tubing inside.

I'm testing some matte sprays this weekend...let you know how that comes out.

Any photos you have of that suit would be greatly appreciated!

I found this close-up of one of the surviving suits, and as most of the vinyl has come off, you can see the exposed fabric foundation. You can also see the yellow around the glove disconnect, where there are still traces of yellow paint. If you flex the material away from the aluminum ring, underneath are traces of red, and a base color of silver
IMG_1048.JPG

Because its actual vinyl beverage tubing sewn into each channel...not inside the sleeves and legs but in each rib.
Not on the real suit. The real suit had 2 layers of fabric cannel stitched over a badding material for the outer layer. The coil support, is duct hose, under the outer layer of the suit. In the thigh, with a space at the knee and another piece at the calf. I think the arms are one piece from upper arm to wrist, or maybe it was just in the lower legs and lower arms, I don't remember.

Last edited:
Not on the real suit. The real suit had 2 layers of fabric cannel stitched over a badding material for the outer layer. The coil support, is duct hose, under the outer layer of the suit. In the thigh, with a space at the knee and another piece at the calf. I think the arms are one piece from upper arm to wrist.
Right...I follow. Our suit, which you said was too tight, had the beverage tubing in the channels. It looks great, but is extremely time consuming and I am afraid the ends of the tube will wear through the pvc. These are suits that will get a lot of wear and tear...they have to be durable and comfortable. The duct is funny because I've seen it used on so many costumes, but unless it's absolutely critical, I don't think it will be included on our build.

Good mold making is 80% of your success into re-creating these props...and it seems that you've achieved that part of the project with flying colors (y) (y)
That's very kind of you. Thank you. I'm relatively new to mold making but recently had some excellent instruction and am at the point in my life where I have a more flexible budget. I guess the moment of truth will be the castings they produce!

Suit progress by my lovely wife...she has her work cut out for her...hardy har

Attachments

• Resized_20210711_175113.jpeg
    Resized_20210711_175113.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Resized_20210712_193030.jpeg
    Resized_20210712_193030.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Resized_20210712_193017.jpeg
    Resized_20210712_193017.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Resized_20210712_192942.jpeg
    Resized_20210712_192942.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Resized_20210712_192919.jpeg
    Resized_20210712_192919.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 101

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back