20,000 Leagues "nautilus prop" listed on ebay beware!

joez2391

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just wanted to warn you guys about this listing {Mega rare disney 20,000 leagues under the sea miniture prop submarine 1954} claiming to be a nautilus filming miniature thats 17in long, but it is obviously just a scott brodeen kit missing ALL of the parts that he's trying to sell for double the price. I just built this model a few months ago and I can see so many tells. Its really obvious he is just trying to rip someone off, just read the description on the listing.

I emailed him and nicely told him my thoughts saying that it was a badly damaged brodeen model and he responded
"sorry but this is not a kit model there are no pieces glued together and is not a cheap piece of junk like you have.

- acesfull4me"

So just be careful with this, he's had bidders on it before and keeps relisting it so I didnt want to see anyone here get ripped off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't suppose you have an idea on the value of the Disney 50th Anniversary version that came out a few years ago...?

Last edited:
OH this is funny and very sad..That is one of my reject castings and on a thrown away stand, note the holes in it..I drilled them in that stand and used to put glue into those holes and use the stand to hold the model as I glued in the windows and parts.

I can not remember if I threw it away in LA of back here in AZ...

What a scammer..

Rich

I bought one direct from Disney and watch the eBay sales clime up to $1600.00 within two months of the first offering..I was stuned, and felt that I needed $1000.00 more than I needed the model so I put mine up on eBay and got $1500.00. (I paid some $300.00 for it...)

Now what 5 years later, they are up there in price, heck even MR's version has at long last gone up over their retail asking price...I don't know what is up with MR but their Disney models DROPPED to about 60% of retail right out of the box..within a day or two of their first offering, and took YEARS to even bring the oringinal retail price...

I had two of the Blue Monorails and that is what happened to me.

Rich

I heard that 2 months ago & guy on Ebay was selling an upside-down Brodeen 16"
without a wheelhouse or rudder & it sold for something outrageous like $125.
(proving that some people will buy anything at any price!) :lol

Re: 50th Annv. Nautilus -
As of 2007 - The panic buying days of paying $2000 for the 50th are long over.

I've been watching Ebay for a 50th for the last 6 years & in all that time (out of 25+ auctions) -
I've only seen 5 go above $1000 & Not exceeding $1200 - only one sold higher, capping at $1680 - that was in early 2008.

Since then the price has gone steadily Down & remain consistant in the $650 to $725 range
with only 2 of the last 10 auctions selling higher - at just over $850.

Watch & wait - & anyone can get one between $650 & $750.
I have 7 friends who, within the last 3 years, bought theirs from friends something close the original cost - $250.

A guy I know offered me an 31.5" MR boat for $175 & I passed...

I have a CR 66" that I've been trying to get $900 for the past 3 years,
I even tried including all of the accurate up-grades that I make -
Skiff, Propeller & Speed Indicator in the deal, including the Giant Squid
& still had No takers.

Interesting..it has been a little time from my last look and of course the asking price does not mean a sale...

Can you provide a link to your parts OR PM me or email me as I am interested in your parts.

Rich

(proving that some people will buy anything at any price!) :lol

Re: 50th Annv. Nautilus -
As of 2007 - The panic buying days of paying $2000 for the 50th are long over.

I've been watching Ebay for a 50th for the last 6 years & in all that time (out of 25+ auctions) -
I've only seen 5 go above $1000 & Not exceeding $1200 - only one sold higher, capping at $1680 - that was in early 2008.

Since then the price has gone steadily Down & remain consistant in the $650 to $725 range
with only 2 of the last 10 auctions selling higher - at just over $850.

Watch & wait - & anyone can get one between $650 & $750.
I have 7 friends who, within the last 3 years, bought theirs from friends something close the original cost - $250.

A guy I know offered me an 31.5" MR boat for $175 & I passed...

I have a CR 66" that I've been trying to get $900 for the past 3 years,
I even tried including all of the accurate up-grades that I make -
Skiff, Propeller & Speed Indicator in the deal, including the Giant Squid
& still had No takers.

If no one minds I'd like to reply & show some pics here as well:

Rich,
Only on my friend's MR offer & my 66" did I mention an asking price.
The 50th auction(s) were as I mentioned (to the best of my recollection).

Here's the linc to the accessory page from the Vulcania Volunteers VVeb-site:
http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/POPUP KITS.swf

These items are in fact for 1/35th & 1/72nd scale Nautilus Kits that I'm currently working on, but they 'fit & compliment' Any 1/32nd scale N-models. I'm also working on a 48th scale N.

And here are a few Nautilus related items I've been working on for a Nautilus Salon Interior Kit (that are Not currently shown on the V.V. site),
including a picture of the 'correct' Exterior of the Salon Window Iris 'insert' & a test-assembly pic of the Giant Squid I mentioned (loa 29")...

Settee (1/35th scale)
014-1.jpg

actual Settee prop (shown for comparison)
SalonSettee.jpg

Salon Fountain in 1/35th scale (approx 1 & 3/8" tall)
015-1.jpg

Fountain (close-up)
fountain1.jpg

And some images of other Salon Interior Details (also 1/35th)
P3180012.jpg

salon15.jpg

P2110006-1.jpg

Accurate 'Exterior' Salon Iris insert in 1/72 scale
(it fits & compliments the Brodeen 31" Nautilus Perfectly
available Soon & will be sold in pairs / price TBA (watch for the advert))
040-1.jpg

Giant Squid in 1/35th scale (or 1/32nd)
100_1954.jpg

Ottoman
P3100004-1.jpg

Balast pipe & Ottoman
P3200038.jpg

And my latest - an 'accurate' Hero Ram in - 1/35th - (which coincidentally fits the CR 66" Perfectly! / The ghost image overlayed behind it is of the actual Hero miniature's Ram)
P5030013.jpg

Last edited:
(proving that some people will buy anything at any price!)

Yes thats the same one, only this time he took the pictures of it rightside up and made ot $100 more expensive!

Those upgrade parts are really nice, i cannot believe the detail that you squeezed into those at such a small scale! If i had the CR nautilus i would definately buy your interior set. I really like the giant squid too, are the squid going to be for sale? I might be interested in picking one up this summer

Re: Believe the Detail - Thanx!
Even the small Skiff has a Rudder,
that measures only a 1/4" tall by 1/8th" across.

Here's what the Skiff's Rudder looks like in 1/6th scale:
(it's from a Skiff that measures 28" long)
P8220008.jpg

Re: "...rest of the ship", VVe're working on it!
N35ribsbowview.jpg

And if you want the best Plans available Anywhere, created by artist Dave McCamant,
so you can build your own Nautilus, ...VVe can help in that regard.
http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/POPUP NP1OF5.swf

Last edited:
remember the original thread..

Well it seems my five Emails to the seller telling him details about the hull and offering to show him photos of the very same haul and how that was once my old building station and the holes were used to hold glue as I assemble a model must have gotten though..I have not seen him relist it.

I explained that I had thrown those items, in the trash some time ago, and was sadden to think he might have been taken by someone dumpster diving my trash bin..

I did suggest he list it as a Richard Coyle Nautilus work station with one of my primary hulls and that I would gladly endorse it..

Let’s see if he takes my advice…and offer.

Rich

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back