photo.jpg

When I got this it was literally caked in paint, I mean caked
photo-3.jpg

In the end I soaked it in 4. Break and clutch fluid
It stripped nearly the lot
photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

I went for the HDPE look again, the first image is it so far and EVERYTHING is hand painted

photo-1.jpg

Next to my AP which I did alongside, this time I painted it and cut back the paint for the really smooth finish, but it is actually paint not White plastic
photo-2.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Nearly done, hope you like
CFO next

Wow, lotta layers of paint on that. Looks like 4 layers. Surprised you used brake fluid to strip the paint off. Most people I know just use a regular old paint stripper fluid.

I tried alcohol, oven cleaner and didn't lift a thing
The helmet was even worse than the ears
I'm not aware of a fluid stripper in the uk that would have stripped it without damage so hence the brake fluid option
It worked though
Regards

Yeah alcohol and oven cleaner jsut won't do anything, the alcohol will work to thin paint I think but that's about it and yeah over in the UK I can see it harder to find something to use. Still looks good though.

Just an FYI: The scale modeling guys like to soak their styrene stuff in Super Clean. It's purple stuff that can be found at auto parts supply places here in the States. I haven't tried it yet myself, so I can't vouch personally, but I have seen demonstrations online and it looks like it works great.

It's less caustic than break fluid, and bio-degradable too. It's also supposed to be super gentle on plastics.

Just something to keep in the arsenal. I hope that it helps someone.

(Helmet looks great, by the way!)

Just an FYI: The scale modeling guys like to soak their styrene stuff in Super Clean. It's purple stuff that can be found at auto parts supply places here in the States. I haven't tried it yet myself, so I can't vouch personally, but I have seen demonstrations online and it looks like it works great.

It's less caustic than break fluid, and bio-degradable too. It's also supposed to be super gentle on plastics.

Super Clean works wonders and it's cheap by the gallon... I really suggest after you soak the part in Super Clean that you again soak it for 24 hours in clean clear cool water... It's gentle to many plastics but I have had it soften some plastics... Soaking it for 24 hours in clean water will leach out any remaining chemicals and brings the softened plastic back to normal...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back