2' Enterprise 1701-D

CJP

I know that the studio model has disappeared, but what data exists for it?

Was the length actually 24"?

Are there any online repositories of photos of this version of the D? Or does anyone have any good photos that they would share? (PM me if necessary.. :))

Chris

I was an intern on the show during the latter portion of third season, just after they transitioned to the 4' model. The 6' Ent-D was around, but not used. In fact, it went into storage not soon after I started. I never saw a smaller version. It may not have been used for anything more than the "Encounter at Farpoint" episode + some stock footage elements ILM shot.

Gene

Those are Starlog pages, right? God I miss those cream colored pages and garish pinkish headers.... it used to be such a trove of info for geeks stuck in East Coast sailing towns.

Those are Starlog pages, right? God I miss those cream colored pages and garish pinkish headers.... it used to be such a trove of info for geeks stuck in East Coast sailing towns.
It was a STTNG mag from the same publisher as Starlog. Here's the cover.

I was an intern on the show during the latter portion of third season, just after they transitioned to the 4' model. The 6' Ent-D was around, but not used. In fact, it went into storage not soon after I started. I never saw a smaller version. It may not have been used for anything more than the "Encounter at Farpoint" episode + some stock footage elements ILM shot.

Gene

Gene -
I read in another article (that I can't find at the moment) that the smaller 2' Enterprise was used in the warp effect shot for the Enterprise. The Flash we see from the warp engines helps disguise the transition from the 6' to the 2' model.

Last edited:
Gene -
I read in another article (that I can't find at the moment) that the smaller 2' Enterprise was used in the warp effect shot for the Enterprise. The Flash we see from the warp engines helps disguise the transition from the 6' to the 2' model.
That's highly likely as one of the big complaints about the 6' model was the inability to get it small in frame when they were using smaller MOCO filming stages. ILM (where the pilot was shot) had a decent stage, but Image G's stage was tiny in comparison.

As for the warp flash effect, the mere presence of it in the title sequence ensured that ILM get a screen credit on every single episode of TNG. Though ILM worked on the pilot and shot a lot of stock footage elements to be recomposited, by the end of the series run very little of that stock footage was being used. But because they had that shot in the credits, they got credit.

.....Gene, it's good to hear that someone on the crew is on this site. I would love to be a fly on the wall on a Sci-Fi show just to be there. But of course everything is going CG.

I had no idea at the time, but the Image G facility was once part of Robert Abel and Associates, the first FX Co. that took a crack at the FX for ST:TMP.

attachment.php

As for CG, well, the conversations are still pretty interesting....

Gene

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back