2' Enterprise 1701-D

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by CJP, May 16, 2012.

1. CJP

CJP Well-Known Member

I know that the studio model has disappeared, but what data exists for it?

Was the length actually 24"?

Are there any online repositories of photos of this version of the D? Or does anyone have any good photos that they would share? (PM me if necessary.. :))

Chris

2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I have this mag article detailing the building of the six and two foot models.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DB537 likes this.
  3. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

WOW!! That's cool! Thanks for posting the article pics - I love that stuff!!

4. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Awesome! Thank you for that article!!!

Tim

5. GKvfx

GKvfx Sr Member

I was an intern on the show during the latter portion of third season, just after they transitioned to the 4' model. The 6' Ent-D was around, but not used. In fact, it went into storage not soon after I started. I never saw a smaller version. It may not have been used for anything more than the "Encounter at Farpoint" episode + some stock footage elements ILM shot.

Gene

6. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are Starlog pages, right? God I miss those cream colored pages and garish pinkish headers.... it used to be such a trove of info for geeks stuck in East Coast sailing towns.

7. robn1

robn1 Master Member

It was a STTNG mag from the same publisher as Starlog. Here's the cover.
    [​IMG]

8. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahh, I had those too... yeah, same people.

9. fraley1701

fraley1701 Member

Gene -
    I read in another article (that I can't find at the moment) that the smaller 2' Enterprise was used in the warp effect shot for the Enterprise. The Flash we see from the warp engines helps disguise the transition from the 6' to the 2' model.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  10. Retep1701a

Retep1701a New Member

I'm sure they're in good hands as this site shows:

ST-Bilder - Galerie - Kategorie: Galaxy

Gene, it's good to hear that someone on the crew is on this site. I would love to be a fly on the wall on a Sci-Fi show just to be there. But of course everything is going CG.

11. GKvfx

GKvfx Sr Member

That's highly likely as one of the big complaints about the 6' model was the inability to get it small in frame when they were using smaller MOCO filming stages. ILM (where the pilot was shot) had a decent stage, but Image G's stage was tiny in comparison.

As for the warp flash effect, the mere presence of it in the title sequence ensured that ILM get a screen credit on every single episode of TNG. Though ILM worked on the pilot and shot a lot of stock footage elements to be recomposited, by the end of the series run very little of that stock footage was being used. But because they had that shot in the credits, they got credit.

I had no idea at the time, but the Image G facility was once part of Robert Abel and Associates, the first FX Co. that took a crack at the FX for ST:TMP.

[​IMG]

As for CG, well, the conversations are still pretty interesting....

Gene

12. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Oh god!! I think I STILL have that!!! LOL!!