Interest 2-1b head kit.....version 3

I'm also sure mine had holes #confused

The hole is between the swivel mounting prongs that we ground off and sanded smooth - it allows the cable to pass through and into the housing.
Maybe Kurtyboy or others did the trick where they just cut off the prongs and flipped the mic upside down? The hollow nose would cover the sanding sins if you wanted to avoid the trouble.

The hole is between the swivel mounting prongs that we ground off and sanded smooth - it allows the cable to pass through and into the housing.
Maybe Kurtyboy or others did the trick where they just cut off the prongs and flipped the mic upside down? The hollow nose would cover the sanding sins if you wanted to avoid the trouble.
But that hole is in the wrong location, the mic can only go one way. It's not a mirror image top to bottom.

You can see the ground off bracket on the screen droid.

But that hole is in the wrong location, the mic can only go one way. It's not a mirror image top to bottom.

You can see the ground off bracket on the screen droid.
I know that now, but I even did it too with the first head I bought from you.

I’m also very interested. I can’t seem to find what the anticipated price would be
I did have a price up but the UK sterling to us dollar rate is all over the place. Plus shipping costs outside the UK have gone up significantly YET AGAIN. Things need to stabalize a bit before I can get a revised price.

Cheers

well its a year on and i still have not completed the resulpt. go team zorg!!!

its next on the list!

i have a question or questions or what are your opinions....

i may do 2 versions, it might turn out to be 1 ,,, one with a cast on resin mic and another where there is no mic part fitted at all, basically saving you cutting off the resin mic to add your own metal one.
like this...
ewTKlb7.jpg

from experience, i know cutting the resin mic off is a pain, and a delicate operation.
another option is to supply a separate resin mic piece. now that there are loads of chrome paint options out there,
i think it would be fairly easy to achieve a metal appearance on a resin mic. that is if i can cast a mic successfully.

or i could just do a kit with a seperate mic and that's it, you could use the resin one or a metal one fairly easily.
behind the mic i would include some detail cast on to the main head that you could see through the bars just like the real one, instead of blanking it off or nothing at all.

also if i can pull it off, being able to screw the mic part on using the existing screw holes or similar, instead of using glue.

anyone have thoughts or suggestions??

cheers

A separate resin mic is fine. I was kinda wondering if it'd be possible to make an aluminum mic for it. It might be more hassle than its worth.

A separate resin mic is fine. I was kinda wondering if it'd be possible to make an aluminum mic for it. It might be more hassle than its worth.
Yeah the costs involved would prohibit any aluminium parts, it would probably work out cheaper buying a real mic.

There are deals to be had if you keep looking. I got 2 of Ebay for about 50 pounds.

Z

Yeah the costs involved would prohibit any aluminium parts, it would probably work out cheaper buying a real mic.

There are deals to be had if you keep looking. I got 2 of Ebay for about 50 pounds.

Z
I didn’t pay much for the one I used in mine. It was broken, no major
FC9A6038-48F7-4785-8326-0A10DA36E8BB.jpeg

physical damage -outwardly- but no electronics worked anymore, so it was pretty cheap. Smelled like bad breath & beer as I was taking it apart :lol:. I wore gloves & washed the housing in the sink. It looks like it was a well used mic. But I thought that made for a more “natural weathering” look.

I didn’t pay much for the one I used in mine. It was broken, no major View attachment 1767598

physical damage -outwardly- but no electronics worked anymore, so it was pretty cheap. Smelled like bad breath & beer as I was taking it apart :lol:. I wore gloves & washed the housing in the sink. It looks like it was a well used mic. But I thought that made for a more “natural weathering” look.
The two I picked up cheap looks like they bought a replacement half for a broken front half but they got the back half by mistake so I ended up with two good 2-1b parts.

The previous hml one I got sounds exactly like the one you got, it was stinking. It had a lumpy bumpy worn patina, something that would look right on a star wars droid. Impossible to fake IMHO.

The only thing is, this is the only hml mic I have, I would like to get a pristine one for molding.... :(

When you cut of the stand bracket for 2-1B I always sanded off the plating back to the metal casting. Now this is a complete pain but the patina that results is pure Star Wars. The Shure mics had a copper plate layer & then nickel I think. I sanded all of it off! I’m excited to get me hands on a new Zorg sculpt! Thanks Chris!

When you cut of the stand bracket for 2-1B I always sanded off the plating back to the metal casting. Now this is a complete pain but the patina that results is pure Star Wars. The Shure mics had a copper plate layer & then nickel I think. I sanded all of it off! I’m excited to get me hands on a new Zorg sculpt! Thanks Chris!
If you look at the real droid there is a area of the plating that has been "sanded" off.

It's never bothered me having it like that since it's what we see with the real deal.

I might have a go at casting a mic, this will give me an indication of which direction to go.

It will be next year though as I'm out of the country soon.

Z

Do you have a pic with it all sanded off?

Here’s one! I used black caulking to fill gaps where the mic meets the skull, worked good!

Attachments

• IMG_9283.jpeg
    IMG_9283.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back