2 1/2 foot TOS enterprise model project

DarthJRW

I mentioned a few months back that i was going to be making a fully lit 2 1.2 foot TOS enterprise model as seen in the second pilot episode Were No Man Has Gone Before. well after months of planning i started cuttting out parts this morning. the pics are just showing the start of a longggg process

heres the pic of the top part of the saucer...

the support ribs are cardboard in this pic, they will be coated with resin and about 4 more needed to be added between the other 4 already made then foam will be poured in between the resin coated ribs and will be sanded down to shape, then bondo will work its magic :D

besides the saucer parts, the naceles and enginering section will be turned on a lathe :)

i will update as often as i can

DarthJRW

A bold project. :thumbsup

Are you working from the Franz Joseph plans? If so it won't look like the ship in the show... lots of different proportions and whatnot on those plans.

- k

Best of luck to you. I wish I had the time to devote to a large scale TOS Enterprise.

I wish the Gary Kerr drawings would be published (or I could get copies somewhere).

Cheers,

Dave C

The best TOS Enterprise plans available to the public are those by Alan Sinclair. Here are the latest revision "D" prints (he updates them from time to time)

http://theomegasector.com/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=370&st=0

Scoll down to the end of the post. If you can read DXF or DWG formats, he has them in vector files, very high resolution. :)

Alan posts here too, as "wizardoflight". Best of all, Alan posts his plans FREE for all to download. :thumbsup :D

as_1701sidedetail.gif

- k

Good luck with your project.

Some suggestions, I would use something other than cardboard for the ribs, especially if you're going to fill them with foam. Even coating them with epoxy they probably wouldn't be rigid enough for you to sand the foam down to the shape of the cardboard without tearing it up.

The best choice would be acrylic ribs or thick styrene, basswood would also work great.

Be sure you are using Alan Sinclair's recent "revision D" plans, as they correct some of the innacuracies of the previous releases. They are much closer to the Gary Kerr plans.

E

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back