1989 batman help

Falcon fan

So I have models of the 1989 batmobile and the batwing
what I’m wondering is what the color off the batmobile from the 1989 film is painted
and with the batwing are there and good pictures of the studio model so I can make sure I get it right?

When I googled it I only found one good pic of the studio paint and it looked crappy. But there are a few nice paint jobs done by a few here on the RPF. What it looks like is a semi gloss black with varied black shades painted on the panels to give it a scaled effect. Also I liked how some panels were taped off and dry brushed for some weathering.

IMG_3475.jpgIMG_3470.jpg
I had an office at Weta Workshop in New Zealand for a while. One of the guys there worked on the 1989 movie, and had the actual molds for both of them. Batwing is on the floor behind me...

Last edited:
To achieve a good wash on your models do not color it too dark of a black. So that when you do a black wash it will look more realistic on that scale and the wash will be seen. Just my 2 cents [emoji1362]those kits are awesome. Enjoy your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The '89 Batmobile was painted in multiple iridescent shades to give it a bug-like appearance. You can see a lot of green, some blues and purples. It's a subtle effect and I've never really seen anyone recreate it.

They painted it gloss black for 'Returns.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back