1987 MOTU SKELETOR build (Goddard Film)

ajb3art

so i finally decided to drop some progress here again, and show my skeletor build. thanks to he-man.org and the classic 7 inch figure i had the reference needed to begin building this.

first i took the high rez photos and photos of the toy to make templates for the armor and the plate bits that need to go on the tabbards and skirt.
DARK DESPOT FIGURE.jpg
full.jpg

then i started to work on the tabbard bits, realizing i would need roughly 60 of 1 kind, and roughly 25 of the other 9 or so to make a full suit, and then i had an anxiety attack and switched to the costume itself to motivate me for all the molding i need to do later lol, but here is the 'bear head' plate which i used a tiger head, cuz why not.
my tabbard small tiger piece.jpg
then i proceeded to take my templates and translate them into foam and start dremeling on 10mm foam sheets. i also used white foam clay to sculpt out some detail when needed, so that way i could spray it in purple plastidip as my base and get a nice 2 tone, then coat it with metallic black airbrush paint and get a nice effect. then hit it with reds and gloss them and boom, armor!
Belt modelled.jpgchest cut.jpgchest plastidipped.jpgbelt plastidipped.jpgbelt painted.jpg
i didn't finish the armor yet but its just the belt, chest and pauldrons that need to be done this way, the gauntlets are black and different.

the mask was the hard part, looked at a lot of options, and in the end i knew i'd have to do something somewhat custom, so without going into too much detail at this time, here is a test of that. i knew i wanted to have as much of my eyes exposed as i could and my lower mouth while preserving the lip teardrop shape, so makeup will be added and bits glued down but this is what we got.
mask painted.jpgmask test.jpg

so far thats what i have completed. but im working steady on it and i will continue to update as i can. i have the armor being painted up today and then im holding off on the shoulders for a spell while i move to the gauntlets and the gloves and the cape. then i'll revisit the shoulders when i revisit the tabbards. skirt will be last piece of the costume, and then that damn havoc staff. ugh, if anyone has HELP available for the havoc staff im open to commission out the head of the staff cuz its a pain in my ass. ive seen a few great ones done and want to nail it.

more to come! follow my instagram for more frequent tests and updates with it ajb3art just cuz i like to throw up a lot more progress pics there.

so for the first update to this, i'll show the chest progress start to end.

first i took a look at the reference and saw there is this 2 tone paint job with a purple tint while some of the zig zags have a texture. so i knew i was gonna need to add a thin layer of foam clay. so once i stencilled out with cut lines, first we subtract with the dremel, then we add w/ the clay until i was happy. then we dip, then we paint, and boom. doneskies.
chest armor.jpgchest cut.jpgchest foam clay partial.jpgchest foam clay.jpgchest plastidipped.jpg
chest done.jpg

20200717_205259.jpg
IMG_20200712_163038_146.jpgIMG_20200712_163038_162.jpg
Havoc staff progress. Tried to sxulpt the back in eva foam, then dropped some worbla to match the shape and used that to reinforce it. We shall see!

So the staff head is finished. i have some pieces to sculpt onto the coupler that will attach to the rod, but i am so happy with the final result it came out way closer than i thought i could get it. this goes a long way to make my skeletor look bad ass. i did a lot of experimenting with this and some of the techniques is a first time for me, but overall i really love it. there are a FEW details to add now that i've seen it painted but that will all be done in final assembly. LOVE it...never making another one lol.

Staff head front.jpgstaff head side1.jpgstaff head side 2.jpgstaff head back.jpg

so, bit of luck this week with brand new reference images. thepropstore.com is auctioning off a partial costume of frank's god skeletor armor and glove set. can't afford it of course, BUT its good for me because i got these reference shots that i didn't have earlier. NOW, because the budget for the film was only 18 million, and they went over into 22 million, 50k of which came out of goddards pocket just to shoot the final battle scene after production was prematurely shut down, they did not have money to make 2 costumes for skeletor. so the god suit is identical to the dark despot suit, just gold plated! they added streamers to the groin, new fabrics and a new helmet sculpt but the rest is all the same molds just gold including the havoc staff (which got 2 bolts to add on after plating took away some detail), so these reference images will work for my build. overall i did not do to bad a job on my sculpts, the pecs are way more defined but oh well, and also GOLD NIPPLES?! **** off Clooney batsuit it looks like Frank was the first to get armor nipples.

the big win with these is more shots of the gauntlets, and of course the ever elusive finger tips. which are tiny skulls stitched on with lava like decor around it.
finger bits.jpggold buckle full.jpggold chest full.jpggold gauntlet zoom.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back