1978 Kenner Star Wars Darth Vader Costume

Outstanding!!
Next level words, as ‘amazing’ was getting used to much [emoji41][emoji1417]

Can’t wait to see progress pics [emoji41][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback! It was so much fun to build!

Let's get on with it. So the whole project started with 3D design because I've been dabbling in it a bit and really didn't want to try to scratch build everything. The problem is that I'm very new to it so I'm getting better with hard geometric shapes after doing the Laser Axe project (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=283896&highlight=laser+axe), but organic shapes are still really tough for me. So I basically designed the armor, chest plate, belt greeblies and lightsaber and then started the helmet with a rough model from thingiverse that I then distorted and altered in various ways to look more "dopey", like the toy.

So let's start with the lightsaber. For this piece, I wanted the extending tip with a stop inside so I designed it that way. You can see in an exploded view how that works.

qKCQugE.png

And then solid.

LO7zQdU.png

yOXNx7D.png

Printing on the other hand is always a pain because it's a lot of parts that require a lot of finishing work because I really can't stand 3D print lines on my props. It works awesome for a base, but then I use a combination of sanding, bondo, bondo glaze, filler primer and paint to finish her off. Here are some pics of that process with the lightsaber.

eshmBq5.jpg

HKZEXRs.jpg

I put metal dowels in this piece to give it strength at the joint because it was too long to print as a single piece.

wV2iGiq.jpg

i1Km4oF.jpg

Rough assembly.

V3qFxy9.jpg

Fiberglass bondo to both smooth and strengthen the connection between the fat handle and the rod that goes in the sleeve.

lrKs8lG.jpg

bf5Hndy.jpg

Bondo glaze.

vxQ7Mso.jpg

Painted saber. I used Montana Gold Rasberry for this since the toy isn't really red but more of a hot pink color.

7jFWuy1.jpg

oZv7Jsg.jpg

MmBtKnU.jpg

And then the whole thing nearly finished.

1P7K5NA.png

This is the toy that taught me about supply and demand!

When I was a kid I saved my allowance to go buy this very figure. It took a couple of weeks, but during that entire time I assumed that all I needed was the money and then we would go to the store to make the purchase. Needless to say, that is not what happened. My mom took me to the Toys-R-Us and, Boom! No Vader. All they had was Chewbacca. I was devastated. But I HAD to have something Star Wars, so I bought Chewie. A couple of weeks later, (plus more allowance) I got my Vader figure. And I still have that bad boy.

So I salute sir - on many levels. What a great build - it brings back many memories.

What a clever idea and such great execution! I had that toy as a kid and was always one of my favorites.

It would be funny to see a version of the lightsaber where the skinny part at the end is slightly bent/broken, like it was on all of my figures.

Thanks for posting the progress pictures. I find the whole 3D printing process fascinating -- and am always impressed by what you guys come up with.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back