1966 Batman BatRadio/Transmitter scratchbuild

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by PropReplicator2, Aug 13, 2018.

1. PropReplicator2

PropReplicator2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So after years of waiting to build a batradio from the '66 Batman film, I have finally embarked on my journey to do so.

The original prop was carved from a single block of wood and was very messily done (not uncommon for a B-prop), but mine will be constructed with several layers of styrene sheets and meticulously cut to create a cleaner-looking inside for a more as aesthetically pleasing product.

First some images of the original:
    [​IMG]

And some of where I an at currently, creating the back section with the cutout and cutting the front plate out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PropReplicator2

Spent the last two hours cutting, sanding, and shaping the faceplate of the transmitter.. next to fill in with Bondo and shape with epoxy putty!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vader45 likes this.
  3. PropReplicator2

After some filling, sanding, and priming here is the front view of the batradio:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    vader45 likes this.
  4. PropReplicator2

And a shot of the back side of the original compared to mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vader45 likes this.
  5. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome project! I've been meaning to make this forever. I was think of going the 3D printing route (I've gotten lazy about scratch building). It's great to see something other than a grapple gun or batarang!

PropReplicator2 likes this.
  6. PropReplicator2

Haha! Too many batarangs and grapple guns, so I had to switch it up a bit. I'm a member over on the '66 forums as well but don't see as many Adam west Batman builds here...
    The belt will be next if all goes as planned ;)

And just FYI.. I just posted and interest thread up for resin kits in the run section to anyone who is interested :) https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293617

7. Meule

Meule Active Member

Looking good so far

Yeah, I would love to see more Batman 66 props here

Grayvette03 and PropReplicator2 like this.
  8. PropReplicator2

Hopefully I'll be able to change that.. I'm building the belt and pouches next and will be documenting that as well. Then it's on to remaking my batshield and batzooka!

9. Meule

Meule Active Member

I started working on a Batzooka, but then decided to make the Thermodynamic Ice Ray Beam, which uses the same Mattel Sonic Blaster (and is easier to make :p )
    I really should get back to the Batzooka, but I can't seem to find a consensus on whether the Batzooka was black or navy blue.

10. PropReplicator2

I am about 95% sure it is black, just because most of the photos I've seen show it as black and not blue, but then again lighting and photo quality is everything ;)

11. PropReplicator2

Holy lack of updates Batman! Getting some better resins to cast in tomorrow and should be able to get all of these cast quite quickly. As far as electronics go, I've finally found a place that sells push buttons small enough to fit in the radio front under the custom-cast button. Stay tuned!

Mike J. likes this.
  12. PropReplicator2

Alrighty, so 5 test casts later and I've finally got the process down good enough to offer these with pride ;)

Right out of the mold:
    N4HDOge.jpg
    wwC7JQe.jpg

13. alexa0ne

alexa0ne Jr Member

I am seeing progress on what you do, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

14. samson1017

samson1017 New Member

Nice, excited to see the output. Keep up the good work.

15. PropReplicator2

alexa0ne samson1017 thanks guys! Getting more electronics in the mail this week hopefully, and I should have a video up of the light system soon!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  16. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing what you use for the grebblies / bits / bobs.

17. PropReplicator2

Thanks, most things will be custom sculpted, molded, and cast. Currently considering how I will make the button cover at the bottom.

18. vader1974

Yeah. I have been messing around with one of these. That bottom button looks brass, but surely it’s a rubber boot of some kind.

19. vader1974

Yeah. I think most replicas just stick with the original color of the plastic. We had a couple of episodes dedicated to the the Batzooka on “Talking Props”.

https://youtu.be/L6EMsNaliU8

https://youtu.be/03YR_yOUNnc

20. Meule

Meule Active Member

Looking cool so far, can't wait to see your progress

Hey, I've seen those episodes, nice to put a name to the face in this case :D
    And I guess I'll be going with a black Batzooka then

vader1974 likes this.
  21. PropReplicator2

I’ve been messing around for the past few days with this and finished sculpting a custom boot for the push buttons I’m using. Since it looks like the cover is brass, I will try cold casting them in resin with some brass powder.

22. PropReplicator2

Here is one after paint, and the brass screws holding the back plate on. Please note that in the first picture, there is a noticable "lump" of what looks like dripping paint. That's not what it is. The image exaggerates a small c-scar that I put in the sculpt to mimick peeling wood. It's definitely not that noticable in person.
    d8JNa3n.jpg
    FLYiy3n.jpg

23. vader1974

If you feel like I’m highjacking your thread let me know and I’ll delete my post.

Here are my test parts with a quick paint job. I think the speaker holes need to be smaller.
    36433adbaa974bc6046f7eb3dac102e3.jpg

24. PropReplicator2

Alright, so instead of putting the button in the front, the brass piece will be static. This will allow me to make a more accurate button, and utilize the small carved out space in the lower portion of the radio for the button. The setup is a 9v battery and a momentary push button facing the bottom of the radio. It is glued into place so that it can't be pressed unintentionally, but it still easy to press. The bulb I chose lights up 15 feet of my hallway reasonably well too. Now to add the plexiglass!!
    1EF4XOZ.jpg

25. PropReplicator2

Forgot to update this, but I finished the mouth portion, and have added antennas and am re-tweeting the brass circle.
    zHM8vuW.jpg
    WwDGGKi.jpg
    DoyAIlT.jpg

26. PropReplicator2

27. vader1974

Lighting looks awesome. I worked on mine a bit more.

29c09d6b5fefaad7805df762f43ee9bb.jpg

Smaller holes on the speaker grill. I cut both wood and plexi grills and light cover border. Rub n Buff does not like the plexi (too smooth).

28. vader1974

How thick did yours end up being? My body is made of 1/4, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/4 layers with a 1/8 back cover. My wood detail parts are 1/8.

29. PropReplicator2

My main body is 15/16” thick with a 1/8” thick backplate. The “smile” detail and speaker grill are both 1/8” as well. This seemed like the best balance between everything so it all remains proportionate.

vader1974 likes this.
  30. PropReplicator2

Okay, so tonight is the night I return home after a short time away. I will take some images of a finished radio and post them tonight as I can. After 8 attempts at different grills I have finally landed on cold casting them all with bronze powder and hand drilling every hole on the grills. It takes a little more time, but the finished product looks absolutely spot on, so this is what will be done.

31. PropReplicator2

Finished my prototype tonight.. the chrome bearings on the antennas are just for proof of concept and will be replaced with the accurate antenna-setup for the ones produced in my run.
    ARHXzZi.jpg
    btGaE27.jpg
    8V3HQYB.jpg

vader1974 likes this.