1933 King King Armature Replica

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Lello999, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

HI there

I´m not quite sure if anybody here has seen the Sideshow announcement for the 1933 King Kong Stop Motion Armature

Here´s the Link

Looks really good to me although I´m not too sure it´s a replica for me. But never the less it´s a great piece

Domenik

2. Hudson82

Hudson82 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That would be cool to see, study even, but with out the king kong skin on it, it wouldnt be that great to own in my opinon.

Keith

3. Tatooine_Todd

Tatooine_Todd Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is an iconic piece, having seen the original at a convention, I would definitely have this in my collection.

4. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

agreed... I would have to pick one up as well.

Would be very tempting to build up and fur one of those.

Tom

5. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Oh yes...It will be mine.

DS

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

That is awesome. I'm getting one for sure.

7. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

I'm all over that too.

Very kool idea to replicate this iconic piece.

-Zoid

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He needs a coat... someting in rabbit fur I think. ;)

- k

9. DARTH SABER

Anyone have an estimate on what the price might be?

DS

10. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Must have. Great idea...

11. bondoking

bondoking Sr Member

where did you find the price? I need to know how much to sell my soul on ebay.
    christopher

12. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Very cool, a must have for the collection but itÂ’s my understanding from someone in the know that itÂ’s going to have somewhere around a $1000 price tag tied to it. :cry

Jim

13. Scarecrow

At $1000, it will never sell. I hope you're wrong.

14. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol

Man, that was the first thing I thought. How cool would it be to do a "Delgado Special" on one of these?

Tom

15. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ooooooo...I so want one and even @ $1000 I'd seriously debate it...

16. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Very cool , I saw the real one at Wonderfest years ago.

17. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

OH MAMA. :eek That is so cool. I hope to Christ it's not $1000. Who the hell would buy it at that price? Certainly not me.

18. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

The same people that pay the big bucks for the MR stuff.

It is a cool piece, I wouldn't mind having it, but at that price I doubt it, just like the MR stuff.

Lynn

19. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. In case Sideshow is reading....

.... $1000.00 = No Sale.

However, a replica is a cool idea. I was wondering if someone would be doing this after the WETA animation.

20. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seriously doubt it'll be $1000. The new Kong stuff that's out isn't rally moving well and many stores are debating whether to stop selling it all. I agree Kong is popular but not that popular. Plus, I think more goes into producing and painting some of there statues then goes into putting a few pieces of cast metal together and slapping a bit of rust on it. We'll just have to wait and see.

21. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek Oh Yeah.. I'm in...

22. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Having been to Bobs house and gotten to see this thing UP CLOSE and PERSONAL....

I got to have one. If for no other reason, just to Support Bob as Im sure SIDESHOW is seeing that he gets some sorot of proceeds from the sale.

He is a great person and I consider him and his lovely wife friends and for him to make such a wonderful peice available for reproduction, hell I just might buy TWO.

Frank Cerney

23. DARTH SABER

The only Kong stuff I've seen in stores are the horrible Kong Playmates figures, which aren't a high-end product like the Kong armature.

Im sure stores will probably wait until the Kong film is released before pulling the Playmates figures off shelves. (Those figures are horrible.)

DS

24. Apollo

Actually Stop-Motion Armatures are VERY hard to do as well as expensive

25. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

On the new '33 Kong DVD extras you can see where WETA replicated the Kong armature, covered it in fur and animated new scenes with it? :D

This was no doubt related to their "re-creation" of the Spider sequence, for which they copied the Styracosaur puppet (the original of which is owned by Peter Jackson)...

- k

26. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

I always thought that the Spider sequence was a special feature, rather than being added right into the movie/dvd. :)

27. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Whoa... here goes some more of my money.
    I will hopefully get one of these.

Bye for now

28. DARTH SABER

Yeah, it is a special feature. It's not inserted into the actual film.

DS

29. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No doubt, if properly executed, I can agree that the armature could well be worth $1K. And, Bob deserves HUGE kudos for making it available for replication. Just not sure I'm a big enough Kong fan, even with the new film, to budget for one...

Still very cool...

EDIT: Btw, is it missing the fingers from the left hand??

30. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

Wow. This would be the first major purchase like that I would ever consider....Even at $1000...

31. Rylo

Don't know much about the market do you? It will move just fine at 1000.00

It's a complex piece, too. Worth every dime.

32. Scarecrow

I know plenty about the market. I also know that there are very few who would front that kind of cash on this kind of collectible.

33. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

if it's under $500 I am there, if it's over that it will be just one moe item I wish I had...

34. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Just because you know few people willing to pay that doesn't mean there are few people willing to pay that. Your experiences are not indicative of the full collector's market.

35. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

So anyway.. who is going to do the add on Kong suit so you can make your own stop motion Kong shorts?

36. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

My thoughts exactly.

37. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Yeah, no doubt. I can't afford that stuff either. :cry

38. Rylo

Some of us do have jobs and moved out of the basement long ago. I know anything over 25 bucks is a tough nut to crack if you're mowing lawns or selling newspapers but big-boys do manage to work things like this into the budget. Dare I say; we do have a few adults here.

Prop collecting isn't a cheap hobby to begin with. This is a high-end prop that will command a high-end price. Tell you what, let's revisit this debate in a few months after the run has sold out. Then you can tell me how much you know.

Some of us do collect more than paper props and wooden lightsabers.
    Now, you don't have to care for this prop or it's price. You certainly have the right to pass and even suggest it cost too much. But, to suggest it's price will remove it from the radar of an otherwise ravenous collectors such as myself is ridiculous.

Simply put; Speak for yourself and try to avoid such an infatic tone when referring to other collectors.

Rylo

39. Scarecrow

LMAO. You're talking to someone who has nearly every item MR has produced to date. :lol And I'm not talking minis. I don't know why you took what I said to such an extreme. I know there are many who would buy this amazing piece at $1000, but there wouldn't be a large enough "market" for it to be worth producing. If it's in the $500 range, I'll be all over it, but $1000 for this kind of specific collectible is not justifiable for much of the "market".

LoL. I read your comment again. Absolutely ridiculous how you just snapped like that... :rolleyes

40. Rylo

Do you even read your own posts?

First you post, and I quote:

"At $1000, it will never sell."

Now you post, and I quote:

"I know there are many who would buy this amazing piece at $1000"

Pick an argument buddy and I'll debate it with you. My favorite part of your argument is this brain buster.

QUOTE:
    $1000 for this kind of specific collectible is not justifiable for much of the "market".

You're a train wreck of logic.

I digress. But, feel free to contact me by PM if you'd like to discuss this further. I don't want to hijack this thread further by correcting you.

41. Rylo

I'd like to see the suit. I suspect someone will step forward with a little fur and latex.

42. Tatooine_Todd

I would guess that at a $1000 price tag the edition size will be small making this a very hot replica, and they will sell out very quickly. Kong is an icon, simple as that, and this particular piece has been seen and coveted by a lot of collectors. I am thankful Bob Burns is allowing replicas of this to be made, in his shoes I'm not sure I'd do the same.

Todd

43. Rylo

I agree 100%

Burns fans and friends alone would make this an easy seller for Sideshow at 500 to 1000 pieces. I'm glad to see Bob getting involved in the replica market.

They will sell out rather fast. Have they said how many, yet? Did I miss that?

44. Apollo

:lol Sorry Bro no offense but Screen-used Collectors will GLADLY shell out that kinda dough no ifs, ands, or buts about it. :lol

45. Rylo

Tony, you're right.

I know collectors with 5000.00 or more a month habits. Many of whom are on this board. They simply spend a given wod every month no matter what and have private little Planet Hollywoods at home.

The screen used guys will make exceptions for this one. Simply because, It's as close as they'll ever get to such an important icon of film history.

It really is a fantastic piece of work. Even after all this time it's a little marvel to look at. I'll proudly add the old boy to my collection.

Even those who don't tend to collect props will get behind this one. Animators and fans of stop motion in general will want this guy. Who doesn't love old Harryhausen and the likes of Rankin-Bass? It all dates back to Kong.

Rylo

46. Tatooine_Todd

By the way, does anyone know when this will be able to pre-order?

47. Apollo

Yep.. I am already thinking of how to display him.. :D

I can't wait and God Bless Bob Burns for making this a reality...

48. Rylo

I hope he's making a buck with some of this stuff for a change.
    I would think a handsome agreement has been met.

Good for him, too. He's shared forever; still does. But, if someone wants to make a little cash of the crust of his collection, I say; Cheers.

Wonder what's next? Looks like they're gearing up for a theme of sorts.

49. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wonder if PJ will make the Pterodactyl available... that would be an awesome set.
    If anyone hasn't seen the two together when Bob brought the armature down to WETA, check out the production diaries.

50. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Be cool if it was offerred in a kit form. I think it would be a blast to assemble.