12th Doctor - New Series 9 Outfit and Cosplay.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Tommyd987, Apr 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Hello Everyone, just a quick update for you all here concerning the 12th Doctor's new costume for series 9.

screengrab-narrow-cropped.jpg IMG_8193.PNG

Firstly, courtesy of Steve Rick's fantastic blog, we can see this t-shirt that Capaldi was wearing during an interview about 'Rose' but the interesting thing was, he was wearing, the hoodie, the crombie, and his on screen ring too, which does strike as odd. Leaving many (including me) to believe this may be part of his costume in the next series.

Therefore i couldn't resist letting this opportunity slide, and off I went to my local mall (Happens to be the biggest in Europe) so i was bound to find it there, and I did.

IMG_8260.jpg IMG_8263.jpg IMG_8262.jpg

And here it is, purchased from 'House of Fraser' within the Label Lab section the t-shirt is entailed 'Misty Mountains'. Very Lord of The Rings. And is yours for £20.00.

Alongside that there is also another new variant of his usual costume, of which looks like this -

Also guys, you'll see in the attached thumbnails two different style tartan printed over a normal pair of blue/green tartan trousers, I was meant to ask which one you think looks more screen accurate as I'm planning on making custom patterns. A or B?
    Breakdown to come soon - enjoy :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 00.00.54.png Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 00.11.57.png

UPDATE - Completed this cosplay ^ And finished Girl Who Died Cosplay, Ft Tartan Trousers and SA Grey Hoodie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

Are those pants the same make as Capaldi's? I just got myself a pair of pretty-close plaid pants.

3. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

Where did you both get your trousers from???

4. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

5. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

6. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

ah thanks dude, totally needed this, awesome work :)

7. mitorious

mitorious Jr Member

Where did you get your Tartan trousers?

8. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 22.58.39.png

Thanks for the heads up on this t-shirt, looks great in the collection :)

9. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

It took me less than 5 minutes to find :) Looks great!

10. mitorious

mitorious Jr Member

So while others help you with the T shirts , your still not revealing where you got your plaid trousers?

11. benthtow

benthtow New Member

I don't think that Tommy has the plaid trousers. Looking at his two pictures, they are the same picture but with minor differences including a different pattern on the trousers. I believe that he just edited in the pattern to show what they look like.

12. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

He said he would make a post about it... just be patient. Trust me, I want to know just as bad as you do.

13. mitorious

mitorious Jr Member

I have come to the certain conclusion that it is just a photo edit adding red holes on the jumper and a pattern on the trousers. If you flicker between the 2 images you can see that it is just one image that has been edited of the costume with plain trousers.

14. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

The funny thing is the 2nd image looks nothing like any trousers Capaldi has been seen wearing.

JBReplicas likes this.
  15. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

16. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Sorry guys, been away for a while and didn't have time to see all these, yeah the trousers on the images are for a project in which i'm trying to replicate the pattern to have a pair custom made, I was meant to ask which looked more SA but it bypassed me when I posted, I didn't reply to most comments straight away as i didn;t know what you were talking about. I was just experimenting with patterning colours on a pair of normal green/blue Tartan Trousers, printing them over the trousers, as of yet the Dockers are the best I've seen, but it appears they don't ship to the UK, which is a shame.

17. benthtow

benthtow New Member

Tommyd987 likes this.
  18. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Facepalms for not realising this, they don't have my exact size so i may need to hem them up, but i'll definitely be purchasing these! thank You!

19. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

I will be sure to post a few pictures of the pants in real life, they to look different from the pictures on the website...

Tommyd987 likes this.
  20. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

IMG_1233.JPG Here they are! They are not quite as green as they look here, but there is a considerable amount of green in the pattern, still I think they look pretty good. They look very similar to your second photoshop image.

21. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Oh wow very nice, i'm in conflict to buy these now, do they fit well? Taper enough?

22. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

They are the best fitting pair of pants I own. They are also very comfortable.

23. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

Just bought them now, Can't wait!

PhilmFreak likes this.
  24. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

They do look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

IMG_1240.JPG keep in mind my legs are like toothpicks and I'm sure even the skinny tapered pants would be a little loose-fitting.

Tommyd987 likes this.
  26. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2968.JPG

And here are mine! They're amazing and I love them, you can see the image on the right that they change in lighting a lot and the colours look a lot more subtle in natural light, i'm immensely happy with them and thank you a thousand times over for sharing these :)

PhilmFreak likes this.
  27. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

They look great, I am so glad I could help!

Tommyd987 likes this.
  28. TuluThunder

TuluThunder New Member

So, is this supposed to actually link to something? It just brings me to the Spoonflower home page

PhilmFreak likes this.
  29. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

Try it again, I think I fixed the problem...

Tommyd987 likes this.
  30. Tommyd987

Tommyd987 Member

meinmycostume.jpg

Just thought i'd quickly share my last christmas/series 9 costume, not the tartan trousers but sort of relevant with s9.

PhilmFreak likes this.
  31. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

Here is a pattern I made for the trousers: 12th doctor pants2.png

32. Fett202

Fett202 Active Member

Do you have a link for where you got your grey hoodie?

33. backstagejack1

backstagejack1 Well-Known Member

For the Label Lab shirt fit, I notice it's pretty loose on Capaldi... did you need to order a size larger or your normal size and the fit is just that way?

34. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.33.26 PM.png

New cufflinks

35. backstagejack1

Looking good!

36. Captain

Captain New Member

What colour and style are the pants? Does the colour of the pants match the coat and vest or no? This has had me quite perplexed for a while as I want to get it right. Thank you in advance.

37. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

It's hard to tell for sure. I would say the pants are the same navy pants he wore all throughout Series 8. The vest looks to be very close in color but probably not matching. From all the promo pics and set photos, I would say you really can't go wrong with a pair of slim-tapered navy pants and a charcoal/ navy vest.

38. TuluThunder

TuluThunder New Member

Not the same pants from series 8, they don't have pleats.
    They are a very dark navy though, and the vest is a very dark gray

39. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

You're right! They don't have pleats! *whips self for not seeing something so obvious*
    Well, that makes it a lot easier to replicate as pants without pleats are easier to find:).

40. backstagejack1

I was wondering this as well. I have a hoodie that works very well. It's a Target Converse brand black hoodie (oddly enough bought atleast 5 years ago and no longer produced) . It's very lightweight though. With the coming cold, I wouldn't mind one a bit thicker (possibly with a black sherpa lining) as long as it doesn't ruin the look.

41. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

42. backstagejack1

43. Skippy2k

Skippy2k Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked up one of the SA hoodies for a decent price on E-bay a little bit back. Also got the second LL shirt a few days ago, picked up the MM one a little bit back. :) Have been gathering pieces but really would like to get a coat before long...

NegFlower.jpg

Also just picked up this for an extra cosplay prop since it was inexpensive. :)
    s-l1600.jpg

44. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

600x600-2015110200013.jpg
    Trousers from 'the woman who lived'

I've also tried to replicate the pattern for spoonflower:

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 7.32.01 PM.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  45. Skippy2k

Awesome, I hadn't noticed so much in the show that there was the third style until it was brought up on here. So if that's the actual one's that just leaves the "Magicians Apprentice" version unidentified? Nice job! I just spent some time recreating the shirt design that he wore for like 30 seconds in Face the Raven lol. :)

46. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

Nice. Did you actually find a pair?

The MA trousers were custom made from old stock wool. They only had enough for two pairs.

47. Skippy2k

Were they also from Mendoza? Wasn't sure since seems when I saw a link last it was to a different pair/pattern listed as Doctor Who that were maybe made but not yet used on screen?

48. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

Nope. I think Ray Holman (or his assistants) just found some fabric they liked and had trousers made from it.

49. Skippy2k

Ok, cool I found a decent pair as I liked that outfit but would be cool to see more found or the actual one's remade. Spoonflower at leaves gives an nice alternative, nice job again on the pattern PhilmFreak!

50. PhilmFreak

PhilmFreak Jr Member

They are actually Hugo Boss. Thank to Tommy for the brand name, it was easy finding them from there. I just searched 'Hugo Boss plaid pants' and there they were! I believe they are called 'Caleb-W'. Like I said, they are gone from any trustworthy website, but you can still find them on strange-looking websites that I wouldn't necessarily buy from. Also, try your local Macy's.