11th Doctor 2012 Christmas Special WIP

I saw that too in the blip of a preview they let out. I'm glad to see it come back aagain. I really like the purple coat, but this one is cool too and easier to source material for. Lol.

Yup, so based on the new poster, it looks like our Christmas Special costumes will still be relevent this year for Matt Smith's departure!

Attachments

• dw xmas.jpg
    dw xmas.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 146
And with a little luck we're also working on the first costume Capaldi will wear.

We'll see. I thought I saw saw shots of the Doctor in his purple coat filming his last scenes. Although, those could have been false. I did notice in the poster, it looks like the same vest with different buttons now. Why they would change the buttons I don't know. Speaking of, I noticed buttons on the trim of the front of the coat. Does anyone have any decent shots of those?

I wish I had a good shot of the coat buttons. I haven't been able to find matches for those or the waistcoat buttons.

As for the change, if the trim is the same as it was before and just looks gold because of lighting, then those buttons are the ones they put on that waistcoat for nightmare in silver, I'd guess because the gold didn't fit that outfit as well. Looks like they left them instead of changing them back.

Finished! Chicago TARDIS was this weekend, and together with my wife's incredible Clara, we took home Best in Show at the masquerade! Thanks for all the help and support. Of course there are things I couldn't get exactly right, and some if those I hope to be able to upgrade soon - especially the buttons on the coat. Here are a couple of the photos we got. Lots of "Snowmen" love!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385957735.969480.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385957752.832406.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385958103.559500.jpg

Way to finish it! Mine is still a long way off.

Did anybody else notice that the coat's skirt has been curved off at the front in the new Xmas special? Seems like an odd change to make.

I think it's probably just the way the promo poster is photoshopped. I'm assuming it's the same coat. I don't see why they would go through the effort of changing it for that.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, looks great man! Did you make the whole thing or just the coat?

I disagree actually, if you look at the inside of the coat in the new promo image, you can see where they have a seam added, basically making a front facing out of lining fabric, which is then sewn to the skirt lining, which is hemmed up higher than the facing piece. I think it's the same coat, but they modified it for some reason. Maybe the front of the skirt got damaged or stained somehow?

That looks like a lot of work. I've never used buckram before, does it have the flexibility to make the dent in the crown?

That looks like a lot of work. I've never used buckram before, does it have the flexibility to make the dent in the crown?
It was about one solid day of work.
Buckram comes in a lot of varieties. The stuff I found at my JoAnn's was pretty lightweight, with plenty of dentability. You might not be able to see it in the photos, but it's there. The fact that I'm 6'2" to begin with means that not a lot of people notice the top of the hat.
Also, I couldn't find "millinery wire" so I used floral wire. It comes wrapped in green or brown thread, and in the same gauges as millinery wire, but not very long - it took two lengths of it to get all the way around the brim.

Hmm... didn't think to try floral wire. I actually went the old hanger route. Lol. Didn't have any beaver's fur lying around, but I did have a hair-on cow hide which worked nicely. It's kinda heavy, so we'll see if it gives me a headache by the end of the night. Did you end up adding the trim to the pockets on the vest? I'm pretty sure the trim I got at 1/2" might be a little too big now seeing it on. Made it look HUGE on the vest pockets. I opted not to add it, but now it's starting to bug me...

Did you end up adding the trim to the pockets on the vest? I'm pretty sure the trim I got at 1/2" might be a little too big now seeing it on. Made it look HUGE on the vest pockets. I opted not to add it, but now it's starting to bug me...
Yes, but I used narrower trim than you did (I think 10mm - see earlier in the thread). I also consciously left off the top waistcoat pocket entirely in the interest of time. Probably going to end up remaking the whole thing.

Last edited:
Hm, it looks like it was a weird anomaly on the poster.

Hold on, I just found this one!

http://whoisdoctorwho.ru/S7_pics/7x06/3216352.jpg

They look like black plastic shank buttons with some kind of swirly pattern on them and a textured rim.

Hmmm. That's an excellent reference. Do you think those are the same as on the front details? Maybe one or two of those have been damaged, giving the dished look? Time for another treasure hunt / wild goose chase!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back