11th Doctor 2012 Christmas Special WIP

He mentioned it was you who found it in another thread I think, he was linking here to share the info. It doesn't matter who found what, that's all just ego and that's what makes this hobby a real drag. All that matters is that that seller offers them for sale, and he was pointing others in their direction.

I love how I was the one who found the listing and spoke direct to the seller and made all the necessary adjustments to make it similar to the waistcoat and others just casually pass it of as "here it is" "I found it for you". I have already posted this info in other threads it just takes a little researching. Also it not just a straight bottom, the buttons need to be changed, it needs 4 pockets and not 2 and needs 6 buttons and not 5. That why I sold mine as it was far from near accurate.

Hence why I made my own more accurate waistcoat....

Ok, I'm learning a LOT about trim terminology, and I've found a lot more very close matches thanks to thorneyboy's comment about the UK, although figuring out the correct width is an interesting problem. Risu, if you're working on the pattern for the shirt, have you determined what the scale of the stripes is? I'm finding trim in 10mm - 15mm, and while the 10mm looks more accurate, that seems narrow to me. I know neither is the "correct" trim, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

trim-10mm.jpg trim-15mm.JPG

The one on the left is definitely a lot better. I'm going to dive into the shirt pattern tonight, I'll let you know about scale as soon as I'm feeling confident I've got it right.

I feel like just from looking at the trim, it's closer to 10 mm.

it's definitely closer to 10 than 15, look at the high res image you posted and compare it to the buttons and coin on the waistcoat

Are the buttons and/or the watch fob a known size? If so that would make it really easy to scale. I really want it to be 10, because that style looks pretty dead-on, but I'm not putting my eggs in that basket yet.

The waistcoat buttons are around 1/2". The relative measurements all kind of make sense with the shirting and the width of the shoelaces.

Ya know, i'd never really thought of comparing things against shoelaces to find widths in pictures, that sort of brilliant Risu, good on you.
But yeah, the buttons are around 1/2 to 3/4" and are a bit wider than the trim, therefore that puts the trim at around 10mm as opposed to 15.

Ok, awesome! Not that I didn't trust your math, but I did my own Photoshop scale check, and yeah. 1/2" buttons means 10mm trim. Excellent. Thanks so much for weighing in. I'm going to do a bit more searching to see if I can find a source in the US, but if not I've got a few online shops in the UK that have it.

I'm going to make a few assumptions about the coin/fob/pendant in order to try and nail down what we're looking at. Again, this research may well have already been done, but I can't find it, so I'm starting from scratch.
I'm assuming this is some kind of coin, mounted in a gold bezel in order to make it into a watch fob. This appears to have been common, so I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb.
The coin is likely British, likely from the Victorian era. (biggest leap, IMHO, but I have to start somewhere)
The coin appears to be silver in color, rather than copper, bronze, gold, etc.
To my eyes, it appears to show a seated figure.
If we keep the assumption that the buttons are 1/2", that puts the coin at ~15-16mm not counting the gold bezel.
According to Wiki Answers, the coins that fit this size would be Threepence or Fourpence, both at 16mm, and both sterling silver. Of those two, only the Fourpence shows a seated figure.
I could be way off, because of course it doesn't NEED to be a coin, it could be a custom pendant/medal or something. And if ANY of my assumptions above are incorrect, this all falls apart. Finally, I'm not convinced that this is the right coin simply because it doesn't quite look right - specifically the left arm of the seated figure appears to be more in a down position on the publicity photo, and in an up position on the Fourpence. But this is my best guess so far. Any coin experts seeing something here that sparks recognition?
fob_small.jpgfourpence_2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's quite a clear screncap from Nightmare in Silver, I can't really see any writing around the pendant, so i don't thing it's a coin. It looks like some sort of sports medal, it seems like a man preparing to swing a bat or tennis racket or something.

(You can click the picture to "enchance", it also gives a pretty good view of the button and trim.)

Here's quite a clear screncap from Nightmare in Silver, I can't really see any writing around the pendant, so i don't thing it's a coin. It looks like some sort of sports medal, it seems like a man preparing to swing a bat or tennis racket or something.
[url]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/9716146237_e027d24137_s.jpg[/url]
(You can click the picture to "enchance", it also gives a pretty good view of the button and trim.)

Nice, I had just been working off this one image during my lunch hour today, and didn't have access to the episodes. That image gives us a lot more to go on.

EDIT: I think we may be seeing both sides.

Last edited:
That's a good shot for the buttons too, and it shows that they are different from the Christmas special.
The pendant is interesting. If we can find the original, it'd be a cool thing to own. And if it's sports, it'll probably be cricket related.

That's a good shot for the buttons too, and it shows that they are different from the Christmas special.
The pendant is interesting. If we can find the original, it'd be a cool thing to own. And if it's sports, it'll probably be cricket related.

Yes! Liking the cricket angle, although at first glance it reminded me of a religious medal (maybe carrying a cross). Also, since we know that at least the buttons change, it's possible there's more than one pendant as well.

[url]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/9716146237_e027d24137_s.jpg[/url]

I've given up finding an exact match for this thing. I was able to find a couple cricket medals that might be similar to the Nightmare in Silver screengrab (if mirrored), but I think I'm going a different route for my costume.

medal01.JPGmedal02.JPG

Last edited:
Not dead yet! Here's where I stand: I have acquired fabric that I'm (reasonably) happy with for every piece, and I've started construction of the coat. For those looking to reproduce this outfit, here are links to the trim I'm using: Sewing-Online.com or TheClothShopLondon.com
The ebayer from whom I got the crochet-covered toggle buttons.
For the fob, I'm using a 1-Euro coin. I think it nails the look from 10-feet away, and it's the Doctor so he could have picked it up anywhen.
View attachment 255079View attachment 255080View attachment 255081

Looking great so far! The collar material looms great! Where'd you find it if you don't mind me asking? I'm actually working on this one at the moment for a Christmas party coming up. I'm hoping to get this and Clara's blue outfit done in a matter of weeks. We'll see if I can finish in time!

The collar material looms great! Where'd you find it if you don't mind me asking?
It's called Persian lambs wool, and I found an old ladies' coat on Etsy. There were a few to choose from on Ebay and Etsy when I looked, and I chose one that was cheaper because it had some damage - actually Risu sent me the link to the one I ended up buying.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back