10th Doctor Who Fabric

Ultimatum

I've searched everywhere for a blue pinstripe fabric, nothing comes close. Quality wool is also hard to come by, most suit fabrics I see are cotton, synthetic or stretch fabric. So that eliminates the option of printing and dying fabric myself.

Anyone know where I could find something similar?

Also, I don't want to buy a suit because I want to make a stylised female version of his costume for myself.

Are you saying you'd prefer wool? Because Tennant's suit fabric is cotton. Other than buying Magnoli's fabric, which is on the expensive side, I don't have any recommendations.

I know his costume is cotton, but that's because it's just that, a costume. It needed to be practical and easy to look after.

Wool in my experience is one of the best fabrics for suits, has a nicer weight to it.

But thanks for mentioning Magnoli, hadn't come across that. It looks good, but I'm hesitant to get it without being able to feel it.

It's identical to the screen used fabric, lightweight cotton. If you'd prefer wool for the look of it than its probably not for you.

I probably have a couple of dozen suits in my wardrobe, and the Magnoli cotton ones IMHO are the most comfortable ones I've owned. It's a personal preference I suppose, and wool can be fantastic in winter, but otherwise, cotton is a win-win for Tennant cosplaying (it drapes, looks, and even sort of sounds like the real thing, weird as that might be).

I know his costume is cotton, but that's because it's just that, a costume. It needed to be practical and easy to look after.

Wool in my experience is one of the best fabrics for suits, has a nicer weight to it.

But thanks for mentioning Magnoli, hadn't come across that. It looks good, but I'm hesitant to get it without being able to feel it.

No, it was because they went to gap, picked out a pair of pants tennant liked, bought like a 100 of them, and made the blazers out of the extra pairs. The pants he picked were cotton, so the blazers were cotton.

The cotton ones may be "easier" to take care of, but they are not anywhere as durable. The blue suit was created purely to take some of the wear and tear off of the few brown suits they had, because they were wearing out from shooting. You are correct that wool has a better feel, weight, and is more durable; which is why suits are made from wool. It isn't accurate for this costume though, and it wasn't a decision made because of cost or ease of care.

Bottom line though, whether you want 100% accurate (cotton) or not (wool), your not going to find a better fabric than magnoli's in cotton or wool.

I actually do have a brown 10 suit in Wool if you change your mind about altering a finished version. It's 38 chest by 32/33 waist.

I'm going to get the Magnoli fabric I think. Because my design is so different from the Doctor's costume, using some other fabric would make it unrecognisable.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back