10th Doctor sonic screwdriver options for purchase?

Solo4114

Master Member
So, my girlfriend graduates medical school in June. Since she's a huge Doctor Who fan and 10 is her favorite, I thought I'd get her a 10th Doctor sonic as a graduation present. Just something fun for her (since she pooh-pooed the idea of a doctor's bag, and already owns a stethoscope and white coat with her name on it).

The thing is, I gather that there are rather...limited options for 10th Doctor sonics that are any good.

The CO one has the wrong color emitter, and is fairly cheap and plastic-looking (which, for a ~$30 toy is about what I'd expect, minus the UV emitter). I'm ok with cheap and plastic, but the UV emitter is annoying to me.

I gather the "Sonic pen and screwdriver" sets are now being sold with the UV emitter sonics, so that's not really a solution, either.

And there's the universal remote, which is cool, but expensive. I'd be happy to pay the expense, but I'm concerned about its durability. It's not like she's gonna cosplay with this stuff, nor even bring it to work (I don't think -- if she decides to, I'll get her the CO one after the fact, if I go with the remote), but my concern is that even just using it around the house watching TV would potentially end up knocking the wires in the extendable emitter bit loose.

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas? If I could find a reasonably-priced replica from someone here, I'd be fine with that, but it'd have to basically be ready to ship, since she graduates June 3.

Any suggestions? Anyone...? Anyone.....?

Bueller?

For this situation, I would go with the Wand Company remote. It's a good option for the price and looks much nicer than the toys, torches, and cheaper options out there since it has the aluminum ends on it. It also has a bit more of a "gift" quality for the occasion, since it comes with the case/stand and all that. I mean, of course it won't be as sturdy as the higher end options out there with the aluminum bodies, but as long as some minimal care is taken while using it, it should last a long time.

There are people that sell excellent all metal reproductions and or kits on the junkyard. They are as close as you can get to the real prop, but they are very expensive. THe wand Company version is pretty good for the price. It depends on what you want to spend and what you expect from it. Some of the high end props don't make sound because the real prop doesn't. There is also a cool factor for the Wand Company version because it can control your entertainment center. It really depends on what you want to spend.

I'm looking to not go too much above $100, which is the Wand Company's price point. My concern with the Wand Company option is durability, really. If it's reasonably solid, I'll likely go with that. The metal replicas that I've heard go for several hundred dollars are just too pricey for me.

--UPDATE--

Bought the Wand Company one from ThinkGeek. Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions! It'll be a nice addition to our media room, and I'm sure she'll love it. :)

Last edited:
It was the right decision. I actually routinely carry my Wand Company version around with me like a dork, and it's proving to be perfectly durable. The other nice thing about it is that it comes in a surprisingly beautiful package. For gift purposes, the presentation of the Wand version is orders of magnitude better than any of the toys.

Honestly, the Wand Company Sonic may feel rather light, but its pretty durable. this thing was meant to be handled, so as long you are not throwing it around, it should be ok.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back