$100 1-Day Gonk droid build

JediG60racer

Sr Member
My kids love the gonk droid. I'm not sure why they have such a fascination with it, but they do. And for this Halloween, our church is doing a Star Wars themed festival... so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to throw together a Gonk!

This build is not intended to be screen accurate, but a close enough representation that it's recognizable by Star Wars fans. It's more of a cross between the old Kenner action figure version and the movie version.

It's also designed to be very easily converted from a static prop to a wearable costume, for my 4 year old.

The build was done for less than $100 of parts from Home Depot.
Here's the stuff I used:

60a5c916.jpg

a61242e9.jpg

ef2def9f.jpg

b7845a7b.jpg

16 gallon Rubbermaid storage containers were the most expensive parts. Everything else was pretty cheap, just random stuff I found that I thought would look good as greeblies or parts. I did spend $9- on LED Christmas lights that I'm using for a logic board.

Yes, I know the Gonk doesn't have a logic board. Mine does, okay? I like blinky lights.

Started by painting the tubs and the electrical boxes black.

06eb5c7f.jpg

58cdecf1.jpg

882b6a7a.jpg

d483171b.jpg

Then I mocked up where I would glue greeblies together to make detail parts...

cccaeba0.jpg

1e171161.jpg

a4c0a8c2.jpg

dc457cd5.jpg

I cut holes in the tubs to mount various details, as well as clearance for the legs.

2c99fc1e.jpg

dd542874.jpg

1f0e3fd4.jpg

997bd27e.jpg

631741fc.jpg

Speaking of legs, I used ABS pipes mounted to those electrical boxes I painted black, then put aluminum dryer hose around them for the legs and feet.

d16a4cf0.jpg

26dbc1fa.jpg

Then I used T-connectors and some more ABS pipe to make mounting brackets for the legs inside the body. Screwed them together using part of the tub that I'd cut out as a spacing bracket to keep them aligned.
Then I put the cover on that tub and put screws through the cover into the T-connectors and ABS pipe to secure it.

55c26522.jpg

53364e17.jpg

a5f10295.jpg

e2fe6cf0.jpg

d79a7a55.jpg

856723e9.jpg

Test fitted the top half of the body.

dd165684.jpg

6843097f.jpg

Drilled 60 holes in another leftover piece of plastic sheet to be the base for my logic board, and began gluing LED Christmas lights into it. They randomly blink, so it gives a pretty nice appearance.

cdbba0f5.jpg

fc84d7ed.jpg

a51c00f3.jpg

And here's the Gonk, about 99% done. Still working on the logic board, will have that installed tomorrow, and do a little final weathering & painting on it. For $100 and an afternoon, I'm pretty happy with it.

56739c37.jpg

28bbc94e.jpg

e381b99c.jpg

That's too cool! I remember loving that robot (and toy) as a kid even though it's a walking battery that does absolutely nothing on film except walk.

Do you know what the metal piece for the face plate is, with the large hole in it? thanks

It's a drip pan for a stove top. $4.99 at Home Depot.

*edit* someone beat me to it :)

Thanks for the compliments! I finished it up today with the logic board and a few other blinky LED lights for effect, will post pix & a small vid tomorrow.

That is awesome... the creativity that's gone into that thing is just.. superb. As soon as you put the legs on it looked like it could walk off!

Love it.

Thanks! Now I need to finish making the brackets & shoulder straps for the inside so my 4 year old daughter can wear it. Going to cut out the lids & make brackets so the static legs can be supported without the lid section across the center, then I can easily switch between static display & walking costume.

Also making some cardboard shoe covers that will fit over my daughter's feet... the dryer duct already fits her.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back