10 Unmade Star Trek projects

So not only was the Abrams movie a steaming pile... It is responsible for killing 4 potential Trek series/films.

Joy.

Personally I don't know if I would have liked "Star Trek: Federation" as it sounds much like the last two seasons of Deep Space (we're at war) 9. No exploration and mucho space battles. Meh.

I also remember when they were trying to pitch a prequel film to the studio prior to Star Trek VI- and that it didn't happen because they needed "one last adventure" with the original cast (guess they didn't want to end it with Trek V... can't imagine why :lol).

Phase II may never have happened but we did get TNG. I'm thankful for that!

Kevin

I still think it would've been awesome to see Riker's command aboard the Titan as the next tv outing. If you haven't read the Titan novels, pick 'em up. They're really great.

I support The Final Frontier 110%. I remember looking at the design they had for the Enterprise, and thought "Dude! That's ugly! It's so... flat? Hmm. On second thought, it looks like a design that would work. I'm for it."

And I also like the female security officer who's not only responsible for security, but also implements some borg technology to help her out. Nice little way to describe how that came about.

I wish I had millions of dollars so I could fund The Final Frontier. I would really like to see it animated.

And I also like the female security officer who's not only responsible for security, but also implements some borg technology to help her out. Nice little way to describe how that came about.

Do we REALLY need to have a female Security Officer again. The last one sure punked out in a hurry for greener pastures. That worked out well, eh?

Some of them were really good ideas. I like the reboot idea by the guy who did Babylon 5 as he and the other guy had a clear vision of things. Final Frontier would have been great no doubt, would have been better if they got the writers and animators of GI Joe Resolute to do it. Paramount really dropped the ball.

Do we REALLY need to have a female Security Officer again. The last one sure punked out in a hurry for greener pastures. That worked out well, eh?

Well, she was written during the show's first season, and I personally didn't blame her for wanting to leave after what the writers put her character through. It wasn't until different writers came into the picture that they finally were able to give Tasha Yar a nice, well balanced and totally in-charge persona that she so rightfully should have been given from the start. I still hate the fact that Worf took over her station because all I saw in it was "A woman fails at her job, so now we have the most manliest character ever take over her position and do it right". Because neither Troi nor Doctor Crusher were able to convey the "strong female role" the way Tasha was supposed to.

I don't think Lt. Donal would be mistreated at all given how much responsibility she has. I mean, being implemented with Borg technology that enables her to do almost anything in terms of keeping tabs on everyone? That leaves a lot of room for conflict. I also like how she and her fellow security officers are a "tight-knit" family, and not the typical unknown "red shirt" officers that get iced on every away mission. I would actually welcome a Star Trek that did away with the Redshirt syndrome and have a head security officer ensure the survival of not just the crew, but also her fellow security officers who go down on away missions. I've never been a fan of the Red Shirt of Death trademark.

Now, saying all this I would have preferred a female Captain myself. I think the long line of Enterprise ships is way past due on another female captain that's not just a one-shot character. But from what I've read about Captain Chase, he's actually a likable guy when compared to that a****le NuKirk.

Another part that I really admire about Final Frontier is how it wants to incorporate "alien" looking aliens among the main crew. That's always been a disappointment for me whenever they include a very humanoid looking character and say that is the alien member. I thought that maybe it was because of budget reasons that they couldn't get alien looking aliens to be a part of the crew..... until I watched Farscape..... God, that was awesome.

And what the heck was this anti-alien stance that everyone on Trek09 had? There were so many humanoid looking aliens that even the most detailed looking ones only got about 1 second of screen time. For a 150 million dollar budget movie, that's pathetic. The Original Series had more alien looking Aliens for cripes sake!

I mean, look at this alien from "Star Trek: Final Frontier"

attachment.php

See? That's a pretty cool looking alien. I would be interested in seeing what kind of a character it would be. It's different looking and doesn't have many human like features that I can relate to. That's cool, because the unfamiliar interests me.

Now, let's take a look at what JJ Abrams' idea of an Alien looks like.

attachment.php

Yes. 150 million dollars, and this is the "Ooo! Alien!" moment in Star Trek 2009. And they still didn't bother to make an engineering or shuttle bay set for one of science fictions most iconic and recognizable ships in existence.

You fail JJ. You fail a thousand times.

Yeah... I'd rather stick forks in my eyes and then pour lemon and salt in my bloddy sockets than watch Abrams junk Trek... but 70% of those ideas sound awful... and one of the ones I liked (Phase II) being passed over to make movies isn't something I mind.

It would seem that Singer's and Frake's were never actually pitched... So I can't imagine Paramount is to blame for that.

Not having read Shatner's books (the academy timeline ones), I can't say one way or another whether it would have been good. Of course, at least it would have been IN canon!

There isn't anyone right now that is in a position to make Trek properly.

After the JJ Trek-like product peters out... and it will, probably sooner then some think, maybe something will come. I am pretty much in hibernation mode on Star Trek right now.
I'll come out when they get it right, I'll enjoy the old stuff until then, or if never, I have the best Treks ever made to enjoy the rest of my life. So no worries.

Now, let's take a look at what JJ Abrams' idea of an Alien looks like.

attachment.php

Yes. 150 million dollars, and this is the "Ooo! Alien!" moment in Star Trek 2009.

I'm sure the budget had little to do with it, and that it was done in this way to make the movie still "sci-fi" but "accessable" to the mainstream audience (who would reject a really "weird" alien being as intelligent as human beings, and integrated with the human crew). :rolleyes

Don't get me wrong- this is one of those things that annoys me about JJtrek too.

Kevin

"Now imagine a new Star Trek calling upon the talents of writers like Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, Anne Rice, Kurt Vonnegut, Anne McCaffrey and others."

Wow, that sounds phenomenal.
In my opinion, a great deal of the charm of the old series was the creative, relatively unformulaic writing.
Pity it did not happen...although I heard Bad Robot makes TV shows too, or something:)

Wishful thinking, most likely.

None of these sound that appealing to me. I lost interest of Trek towards the end of Next Gen, thought DS9 and Voyager were boring... and never really gave Enterprise a chance past the pilot. I've seen all the movies... and while the TOS flicks had moments nothing lived up TWOK - there were moments here and there, but hated IV and the whales (heck, most time traveling in ST bugged me - outside of City on the Edge forver)...

The Next Gen movies didn't click with me for some reason. I think it has something to do with that the TV show was still too fresh and reruns were all over the place - it was just too accessible. Again, it had moments - but for the most part it was 'been there, done that.'

The idea of a Riker based televsion series just baffles me. I found his and Troi's character's just to be terribly trite and rote in Next Gen... boring. The charm and machismo seemed fake was just way too over the top and needless to me.

There's little doubt in my mind that Star Trek needed a reboot. JJ's reboot has some issues, but for the most part it worked by taking the old Spock and attempting to tie both old and new school together (yeah, even with my dislike of time travel). I don't like Chris Pine as Spock, but the rest of the casting was pretty good for me... and the story, while weak - still worked to reboot and capture the best parts of Trek for me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back