10 days to go and I'm stressed out

Elkman

Sr Member
OK, so I've got 10 days to go before having my costume ready for CONvergence, our local sci-fi/fantasy convention. I'm intending to present my Predator costume in the Masquerade there.

All of my friends are saying that my costume looks great. I'm stressed out about a few things, though. I'm not sure it's really up to the high standards that people here on the Lair have created -- there are a lot of excellent costumes on here. I think I've got a mid-level costume, at best. Second, since I still have several things to do to get done in 10 days, I'm going to have to take a few shortcuts with the final pieces. I won't be able to give my biohelmet the real cool paint job it deserves, for example, with all the subtleties that other people have painted into their bios. (In fact, I'm still working against the clock to finish sculpting it.) I can give it a basic paint job with the hammered finish paint that I've used on the armor.

And, another thing that has bugged me, but which I can't fix now, is that I got some of my proportions wrong when I did the mask in the first place. The hairline should be higher up on the back of the head -- even for a P1 -- and the lower mandibles look too long.

So, what do I do to get over all this stress? Any words of wisdom? Or do I just continue to go on thinking I have a mediocre costume?

WorkInProgress-024-600.jpg

WorkInProgress-023-600.jpg

Get some cardboard armor made out of vinimacs's templates. No need any high budget stuff yet since u don't have the time.
The dude needs to cover his groin at least. U can paint some cloth brown, shred it - get some foamies cut into repetitive shapes to make some quick armor.

You can do it!

you-can-do-it.jpg

I have scrap leather pieces laying around here. I can bang out some loin cloth for you and some other accent pieces. let me know what you want and ill get sewing asap.

What you have is a pretty good 'starter' costume. Even though he has a high forehead and appears to be balding. lol. My commendations to you. What I'm reading is that you want to take it to the custom level. And that is going to take some time and effort. Either way you are going to get more attention then you want for Halloween. I, too, had a 'starter' costume and even though it looked funky I still won 1st place at a restaurant costume contest not to mention photographs with about a 100 people. Now, here's the part where I took a shortcut - I ordered a complete highend P1 costume from head to toe from HellKat Creations. Complete with trilasers. The costume is off the charts and for this Halloween I intend on entering some highend contests to get some of my money back.

Good luck!

ya carbord works realy good but you should have a hot glue gun, if not just use tape but only tape the inside of the armor be cause paint and tape don't mix.

Actually, I've already made the codpiece and loincloth; I just don't have them on in this photo. I've also done the upper thigh armor, and I intend to finish the shin armor and the shoulder bell. I'm going to make them from Sintra. I don't want to make anything from cardboard to wear on stage.

What you have is a pretty good 'starter' costume. Even though he has a high forehead and appears to be balding. lol. My commendations to you. What I'm reading is that you want to take it to the custom level. And that is going to take some time and effort.
Yeah, I don't doubt that. I've been working on this one for the last seven months, though. I'm just hoping that I can have something that will look good in the "Finished Suit Trophy Room", and at the moment I'm not sure about my quality.

Now, here's the part where I took a shortcut - I ordered a complete highend P1 costume from head to toe from HellKat Creations. Complete with trilasers. The costume is off the charts and for this Halloween I intend on entering some highend contests to get some of my money back.
I'd rather make it all myself -- or at least as much as I can. As it turns out, I had to buy some pieces, such as the hands, feet, backpack, and dreads. I figure if I'm going to enter a masquerade at a convention, the costume should be my work. Of course, that means that sometimes I can be too stubbornly independent for my own good. But that might also mean it doesn't look as good, so... maybe I'm just overanalyzing this.

I entertained the idea of building my own too. I prepared a large closet in my house for the work center and was going to buy several 'costume' style tools and machines until I sat back and, like you, analyzed it. It just wasn't worth it. I would be spending thousands of dollars and an enormous amount of time on something I have virturally no experience on. No one but the Lair to guide and no one to point me in the right direction. I probably would have ended up burning one side of the house down. Hence, the shortcut. And like you I'm a die hard Predator fan. Always have been and always will be.

BTW, where did you get the gauntlets?

What pieces do you still want to add and how much time do you have on a daily basis?
Also, what bio do you have?

Painting a bio takes about 2 hours if you layered the basecoat on at forehand for example.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back