1/87 scale Type 66 Mobile Maser Cannon from Godzilla by Wave Corp.

teslabe

Sr Member
This is a very nice kit that I was told about by my friend "rworne", he had brought one back from Japan and showed me, I was impressed with it's detail for the scale, it's about the HO scale. I started this about this time last year, but with my move out of the state I never got a chance to post, so here I go, hope some find it of interest....:whistle:
I decided to made it "RC" capable by using the track portion of this 1/70 scale Tiger Tank toy that had a two motor setup, I did have to change the motors in the tank from "core-less" to a more controllable pair with more torque. I also added head/tail lights and emergency lights on the top

Attachments

• 1-87 scale type 66 Maser Cannon cover art.jpg
    1-87 scale type 66 Maser Cannon cover art.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 123
Here is some pictures of my mods, including the addition of the lighting and electronics for the motors and adding a tracked undercarriage from the tank, sorry for the fragmented post, but I got too far along before I started the thread so thing are out of order on the vehicle build so please hang in there.....o_O

Attachments

• Maser prep03.jpg
    Maser prep03.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Maser prep04.jpg
    Maser prep04.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Maser prep05.jpg
    Maser prep05.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Maser prep08.jpg
    Maser prep08.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Maser prep09.jpg
    Maser prep09.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Maser prep10.jpg
    Maser prep10.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 97
And some more pictures, this time showing some detail of the receiver and motor controller, the one on the left is complete unit and on thr right is one being built, also the second part of the early portion of this build, there will be more....:lol:

Attachments

• Maser prep11.jpg
    Maser prep11.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Maser prep12.jpg
    Maser prep12.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Maser prep13.jpg
    Maser prep13.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Maser prep14.jpg
    Maser prep14.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Maser prep15.jpg
    Maser prep15.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 93
  • Maser prep24.jpg
    Maser prep24.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Maser prep25.jpg
    Maser prep25.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 95
This next batch of videos are since my move and of work in the last few weeks.

Attachments

• Maser prep26.jpg
    Maser prep26.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 86
  • Maser prep27.jpg
    Maser prep27.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Maser prep28.jpg
    Maser prep28.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Maser prep29.jpg
    Maser prep29.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Maser prep30.jpg
    Maser prep30.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Maser prep31.jpg
    Maser prep31.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 111
Here is part two of the work done since my move, the pictures are of building of the emergency lights and "RC" controller on the top of the vehicle's cab hope it's of interest....:)

Attachments

• Maser prep32.jpg
    Maser prep32.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Maser prep33.jpg
    Maser prep33.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Maser prep34.jpg
    Maser prep34.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Maser prep35.jpg
    Maser prep35.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 88
This is the last post for tonight, the video shows the "RC" control of the lights, the last picture shows the magnetic reed switch for binding to the transmitter.

Attachments

• Maser prep36.jpg
    Maser prep36.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 107
  • Maser prep37.jpg
    Maser prep37.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 102
Well, I got the tracked vehicle's electronics done and started the job of filling in the many gapes on this portion of the model, I was surprised by how poorly some of this kit's parts fit together, not something I expected to see from a Japanese kit.....o_O This is the last video for the tracked vehicle for now. It needs filling and sanding so I can paint it. I used 5 min epoxy as a filler due to the large gapes and ill fitting of some of the parts, still love the kit even with the gaps....

Attachments

• Maser prep43.jpg
    Maser prep43.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 93
Wow! Great progress!

Can't wait to see what you do with the Maser portion.
Thank you rworne for the support and kind comments.... This is a tough kit to build right, the plastic is very brittle and the parts don't fit well, strang for a Japanese kit. Here is were I'm at so far, it is going slowly.....

Last edited:
A little more of an update, slow going now that I have a lawn to take care of.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Maser prep44.jpg
    Maser prep44.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Maser prep45.jpg
    Maser prep45.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Maser prep46.jpg
    Maser prep46.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Very cool! I did not know there was such a kit
Analyzer, this is a kit that I've had a love/hate relationship with.....o_O For a kit manufactured in Japan it's got some real problems you would never expect to see and since I have two with the same issues, I believe it's not isolated. The alignment of the molds are off on every sprue and not by a little, making it very hard to hide any seams, but if you are willing to take the time it can be fix to some degree. I'm still glad I bought these kits and I'm having fun enhancing their outcome , but it has been a pain.....:rolleyes: It can still be found, my kits are from 2016 and I believe they are NOS (new old stock). Thanks for taking the time to look and post.....:)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back