1:8 Scale Witch-King of Angmar - Resin Print

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First off, I have learned a bit from when I first printed this model over the Christmas break. I am new to resin printing and this was the very first thing I printed. The kit is really nice and printed great. I had some issue with the base as you will see but otherwise, the prints came out perfect.

I have never attempted to paint something like this, for me, this build is a long, long way from the Star Wars ships I am usually obsessing over but I am a huge LOTR fan and when I saw this file I had to grab it and give it a try.

If I get good enough I would like to print the "Fell Beast" that matches but that is a huge undertaking so we shall see.

I really think (in my limited experience) that this is where resin printers shine. At this scale, my FDM could not even get close to this level of detail.

20201226_170739.jpg

20201228_153230.jpg

The issue I had with the base was that I was not aware of things like drilling holes in the models, hollowing, and other processes for large resin prints. As I did not have the experience at the time (I have since learned to deal with all of these) I defaulted back to my PLA prints and just coated the final print in resin.

20210102_212821.jpg

The final product turned out pretty well, I think. He did have a bit of a rough end... As soon as I finished painting him I dropped the model and broke one of his legs and the top part of his crown... I could not find the top part but I was able to glue the leg back on.

20210111_133041.jpg

20210111_133125.jpg

I will be re-printing this kit in 1:6th scale to match the scale of some of my Weta Workshop figures in the very near future. You can also see in the image below that he is now missing his sword... As soon as I was 100% done he fell off the base and the sword snapped off. In the end, it was a fun build and was really my very first print so most of this was a large experiment. I was a bit frustrated that I kept breaking it but these things are always learning experiences so now I have a bunch of new ways to not do things for the next time.

Here it is along with my Weta Workshop guys, I did my best to try and match the highlighting and color of the other ring wraith. I am also not a fan of the silver base but I was just testing that paint with some new primer. On the larger print, I will build a wooden base to match the other figures.

20210111_134644.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back