1/72 y-wing

astroboy

Master Member
I have to say....I find this hobby very intimidating.
And I'm a beginner

If I hadn't stumbled upon resin illuminati two years ago, I would still be satisfied with toys and action figures

I've been working on a fine molds falcon for about a year and am now too scared to continue. So I'm taking a breather on it to do a y-wing as an excersize. Mostly in weathering. I'm not worrying about accurization at all here. I didn't even fill the seams. This is about paint and decals.

Basically, I primed it and then did a grimy/rusty wash all over the thing. Then I used maskol in some places and salt in others before a base coat. For a base coat I went with white and just a hint of deck tan. My goal is to use weathering to get it to the browns that it should be

Tomorrow I'm goint to make a few darker panels and some other bits off colour to make them seem like replacement parts.

The question I have is...when do I do the decals? I'd like to do an oil wash as well here. Will the decals survive the weathering over top?

I'm using acrylic. will I need a sealent? What about pastels?

I'm very comfortable with paint, but the mixed medium thing throws me off

Nice work so far! Re decals, my experience is that the thinner that you chose for the oil wash has the potential to be "hot" and eat your decals. I used "Grumtine" and it did munch my decals. In order to be safe(r), clear coat with Future and let dry for a while, and use the mildest thinner you can find for the oils. My experience, anyway - ymmv!

R

Nice work so far! Re decals, my experience is that the thinner that you chose for the oil wash has the potential to be "hot" and eat your decals. I used "Grumtine" and it did munch my decals. In order to be safe(r), clear coat with Future and let dry for a while, and use the mildest thinner you can find for the oils. My experience, anyway - ymmv!

R

thanks! How do I know how "hot" a thinner is?

So I'm thinking the order of things will be:

prime
grime wash
maskol/salt
basecoat
airbrushed dark panels/ engine stripes
decals (cowl stripes)
crushed pastels
sealent (future or other?)
oils washes

thoughts?

I am working on the same model and using new to me methods. Ironically I am at the same point sort of as I have not used any salts. I have mine primed (grey model master), I was going to now use two or three different colors on the seems and body of the ship. Flat black, tan, and some draub or other green. I then plan to coat lightly with a light grey and make markings (chip marks) using a paint remover and something to scratch with.
For the larger markings I am going to paint, the stripes and yellow on the hood. FM calls for intermediate blue on top of cockpit and I find that it should be more grey with a little blue. I then plan to use what stickers are left that I did not paint my self and use MM decal set and weather with indian ink, dry brush, and pastels. Then spray a small amount of sealent.
Not sure what you are using as a ref if you would like I could post a picture from the book, "sculpting a galaxy" its a huge image of the y-wing unlike anything I fould on-line as far as a ref.
I also am new to model building and this is the first that I have put fiber optics in a model. I have two red led for the engines, and one white one blue for the cockpit. I used heat shrink for the first time and had a real learning experience with drilling glueing and installing the fiber.

After I finished priming the entire thing the light on my home made paint box fell and the top guns broke off. :lol I will fix tonight.
I hope the MM decal set will hold up for the weathering I then may try to use the future for a finish before using the ink and pastels.

My falcon is waiting in the box have you really been working persistently on yours for a year I was hoping to have mine finished by Oct of this year..

Would like to see more pics and I hope to wrap mine up this week.

Mike

I am working on the same model and using new to me methods. Ironically I am at the same point sort of as I have not used any salts. I have mine primed (grey model master), I was going to now use two or three different colors on the seems and body of the ship. Flat black, tan, and some draub or other green. I then plan to coat lightly with a light grey and make markings (chip marks) using a paint remover and something to scratch with.
For the larger markings I am going to paint, the stripes and yellow on the hood. FM calls for intermediate blue on top of cockpit and I find that it should be more grey with a little blue. I then plan to use what stickers are left that I did not paint my self and use MM decal set and weather with indian ink, dry brush, and pastels. Then spray a small amount of sealent.
Not sure what you are using as a ref if you would like I could post a picture from the book, "sculpting a galaxy" its a huge image of the y-wing unlike anything I fould on-line as far as a ref.
I also am new to model building and this is the first that I have put fiber optics in a model. I have two red led for the engines, and one white one blue for the cockpit. I used heat shrink for the first time and had a real learning experience with drilling glueing and installing the fiber.

After I finished priming the entire thing the light on my home made paint box fell and the top guns broke off. :lol I will fix tonight.
I hope the MM decal set will hold up for the weathering I then may try to use the future for a finish before using the ink and pastels.

My falcon is waiting in the box have you really been working persistently on yours for a year I was hoping to have mine finished by Oct of this year..

Would like to see more pics and I hope to wrap mine up this week.

Mike

Great to have company!

I haven't been working on the falcon very consistently. Like I said, I get scared, and I back off.

I also am not trying to make any specific y-wing. Although I have lots of reference books, I'm not really gonna use them. This is gonna be an older y-wing that would have been sold on the black market or something. It's in bad shape. The front cowl is the only place I'll be using the decals. Mostly as practice. But the rest will all be masked and airbrushed.

And I'm not gonna bother lighting it

Post pics of your work!

Over 100 views already, people care!

Nice work astroboy. I find painting intimidating as well. I have never actualy finished anything through to the painting stage. Fear of messing it up. I would be happy with the progress you have made. Always looking forward to seeing another Falcon build as well.

Ozzy

LMAO! I saw that, I was always told if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say anything, some people need to get the facts first before they open their YAPPERS!

This is one of those great forus where flaming/trolling don't make sense. This place isn't about the laughs as it is about the ships.....

OK, I was not going to post any pics or really put anything on this build on the site but I will. I have not air-brushed something so deatailed where I will be masking and working with something so tedious. I will have pictures up soon. I wanted to work on it last night but did not. Sometimes I have to commit a few hours when I want to use my airbrush cause of all the cleaning involved after. Anyways, what you have done looks great my build is currently a solid grey primer. I will post the picture from the book I have even though you are not going for particulars its such a great pic of the actual model.

I hope all the lights still work, where the cockpit meets the ship I used superglue to finally put these two parts together. I hope none of the glue touched the small strands of fiber cause they break easy with heat..

Good luck!!!, I will post some pics real soon but as I for-mentioned I just have a solid coat of grey primer.. I will post pics as I progress..

This is one of those great forus where flaming/trolling don't make sense. This place isn't about the laughs as it is about the ships.....

If your refering to me as trolling you got it all wrong I was looking at your build and yes found it funny because one member stated that this thread was started in 2010 which I know it wasn't and he said no one cared about your thread. I didn't come in here talking crap about your thread I was actually supporting it, and the build and paint looks good so far if you want weathering tps on the Y-wing check out Jason Eatons Y-Wing thread he's good.

If your refering to me as trolling you got it all wrong I was looking at your build and yes found it funny because one member stated that this thread was started in 2010 which I know it wasn't and he said no one cared about your thread. I didn't come in here talking crap about your thread I was actually supporting it, and the build and paint looks good so far if you want weathering tps on the Y-wing check out Jason Eatons Y-Wing thread he's good.
I wasn't talking about you.......

I was referring to the other guy.

Astroboy -

Sorry, I can't answer your question about less "hot" oil paint thinners, but perhaps someone else here might be able to do it. (I'd be interested to hear what others use). I tried the "grumtine" from the art store because it was billed as a less toxic citrus-based substitute for turpentine. It ate the decals like candy...but to be fair, they weren't thick commercial-grade decals, they were finer garage kit decals that were probably laser or jet-printed. Fine molds decals might be a little more durable, but I'd still clear-coat to make sure.

Regarding painting in general, I tend to follow a trial and error process. You start out with a plan, and then when it starts to go south, you stop, fix, redo, etc. What I find is that the more layers you put down, the more depth the finished product has. You end up with effects that you didn't intend, but look great. The real trick for me is stepping back, letting it sit, and then coming back to it with fresh eyes. I have great respect for those modelers who can replicate a studio ship down to the last scratch. I don't have the patience or skills - I never get there, but I think I do pretty well as far capturing the "feel" of the piece.

As far as a logical set painting steps as a guideline (not a rule) here's one crack at it. Please note this is a general set of guidelines, and not geared towards the Y-wing. Also, I never do all of this, I mix and match depending on what I need:

Prime
sometimes pre-shading at this stage
Basecoat(s) (acryl)
future seal to avoid decal silvering
decals
Future seal
Oil wash plus 3-4 days to dry
Lacquer seal (semi or dull) let cure
Oil based filters or selective tones
Drybrushing for highlights
pastels (wet or dry)
final seal (or sometimes not, if I feel it'll jack up the pastels)

Of course, this'll all change depending on whether you have chipping or painted details, masking, metallics, or different gloss finishes.

Hope this is of some use!
-Raj

okay...this is officially on it's way to being sold at mos eisly

Did some oil wash stuff. Used odourless turpenoid. I'll wait a couple of days, seal it, and then add some decals

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back