1/72 Scale Docking Bay 94

korben44

Master Member
Having felt uninspired lately, I felt I needed to start a new project in order to get I spired to finish my other ones.

This one is going to be a scaled up version of my 1/350 Diorama.

This is where I'm at... Figuring out the base and basic layout:

20200518_132356.jpg

So going 5 gear ESB

Hopefully I can snag another one at some point myself. I would love to have a 5 gear version as well as the 3 gear

I redid my Docking Bay 94 full part set at 1:72, but Shapeways has an annoying "naughty object" filter that erroneously kicks in whenever I try to upload the forklift truck object. I think it thinks the forklift truck is something else, because then it manually flags the upload and halts it, and it sits there until a customer support person looks at it. Bizarre, eh?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 09.37.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 09.37.01.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 337
So going 5 gear ESB

Hopefully I can snag another one at some point myself. I would love to have a 5 gear version as well as the 3 gear

This one is 3 gear since it's Docking Bay 94. I still have my 5 gear version for my Cloud City build. That is on my list of projects I need to finish.

I picked up this one on Ebay.

I redid my Docking Bay 94 full part set at 1:72, but Shapeways has an annoying "naughty object" filter that erroneously kicks in whenever I try to upload the forklift truck object. I think it thinks the forklift truck is something else, because then it manually flags the upload and halts it, and it sits there until a customer support person looks at it. Bizarre, eh?

Excellent! I picked up some pieces from your Shapeways shop last night. So that whole set is available?

I'm going to need lots of figures for this one.

Excellent! I picked up some pieces from your Shapeways shop last night. So that whole set is available?

I'm going to need lots of figures for this one.

Yep! I've tried a bunch of times to rework the part arrangement to lower the price, and each time Shapeways' weird algorithms end up with something twice as expensive! :( I'll see if there's anything I can do further. Note also that the yellow tanks are the ANH-incorrect prequel shape. Sorry!

- nkg

oh right, wrong scene. for some reason I was thinking cloud city

We're getting old! It's harder to remember everything all the time... I mean, I typically know it all... but sometimes I forget, too.
Yep! I've tried a bunch of times to rework the part arrangement to lower the price, and each time Shapeways' weird algorithms end up with something twice as expensive! :( I'll see if there's anything I can do further. Note also that the yellow tanks are the ANH-incorrect prequel shape. Sorry!

- nkg

I'm not too concerned with the yellow tanks being incorrect... There will be so much going on in this diorama, no one will notice :)

I took a cheapish Ikea table I had that was not being used for anything and turned it into the base for my 1/72 Docking Bay 94 Diorama. The top is not fastened and ready to go. The basic docking by location is laid down. I'll be working on the floor level for the bay by roughly drawing in the walls. I will be taking some liberties with the actual internal layout of the docking bay, but will be focusing on making it as accurate as possible. Here's a look at the base so far:

20200519_143158.jpg
20200519_143150.jpg

Revised the model. It now has one hundred and fourteen pieces. :)

6x doors
9x ground lights
2x tall cigar-shaped things
8x shipping pallets
1x forklift
3x wall pipes
4x tall flat double boxes with lights
18x large rectangular crates
18x small cube-shaped crates
1x blue mystery box with lights
2x tall tapered flat posts
7x short tapered flat posts
2x low half-domes
1x flanged post
2x open dome-topped post
6x triangular crates
1x low rectangular box
4x tiny aviation fuel pumps
1x control panel on stand
3x L-shaped open pipes
1x rounded-rect flat post
4x medium cylindrical posts
1x tall tapered post
9x small triple wall thingies

Unfortunately, I can't change Shapeways' pricing, so even though I've tried to keep the costs down by tight arrangements of parts, it's not cheap.

Revised the model. It now has one hundred and fourteen pieces. :)

6x doors
9x ground lights
2x tall cigar-shaped things
8x shipping pallets
1x forklift
3x wall pipes
4x tall flat double boxes with lights
18x large rectangular crates
18x small cube-shaped crates
1x blue mystery box with lights
2x tall tapered flat posts
7x short tapered flat posts
2x low half-domes
1x flanged post
2x open dome-topped post
6x triangular crates
1x low rectangular box
4x tiny aviation fuel pumps
1x control panel on stand
3x L-shaped open pipes
1x rounded-rect flat post
4x medium cylindrical posts
1x tall tapered post
9x small triple wall thingies

Unfortunately, I can't change Shapeways' pricing, so even though I've tried to keep the costs down by tight arrangements of parts, it's not cheap.

The price isn't too bad... But that is an awesome collection. I'll be picking it up on my next order from Shapeways. I'll have some progress pics to post later today as well.

What's the plan? Are you going for a full 360 so the model is seen from above? Or are you going to have it open in the front for a kind of cutaway view?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back