1/72 MPC Eagle Transporter + Resin + PE super detail *WIP*

JNordgren42

Sr Member
I started on one of my all time favorite sci-fi ships, the Space: 1999 Eagle Transporter. This is the new MPC 1/72 kit and I'm very happy with the quality. Fit and engineering are excellent with not too many seams to deal with and the detail is fantastic. I also added on the Paragraphix PE detail set. The command module and crew pod will be attached via magnets, I've already got the magnets installed in the command module hatch area (I used the full height one included in the Paragraphix set and the magnets work fantastic). I'm also going to use the cut out window frames and I'll be doing at least a rudimentary interior in the command module. I'm torn on lighting it, I would like to, but the magnets and lack of permanent attachment complicates things. I have a few ideas, but we'll see how it goes.

PE cockpit hatch folded up and magnets glued in with JB Weld. Interesting fact, JB weld is slightly magnetic and I had to keep scraping it off the tops of the magnets as it cured since it flowed up over the top.
20210605_162254.jpg

20210605_162259.jpg

Dry fit of the forward section parts. The magnets work fantastic to keep the command module attached. The cage engineering and fit are great, it holds together without any glue so I'm sure it will be very solid once it's permanently assembled.
20210606_120834.jpg
20210606_120908.jpg

20210606_121001.jpg

PE window frames test fit on the crew pod. I still need to cut the holes for the windows. The top is just dry fit for now. If I end up lighting it, I'll probably make it removable for access and keep it held on with more magnets.
20210606_121138.jpg

Window holes rough cut in the command module.
20210606_121212.jpg

Test fit of the PE back wall. There isn't a lot of visibility inside, but I may scratch some more of the basic layout inside.
20210606_121331.jpg

20210606_121559.jpg

Engine section dry fit.
20210606_121628.jpg

Also a favorite ship as a kid. Struck me as a practical outgrowth of the Saturn V lunar lander structure at the time. Love watching builds of this one as I make plans for my own 22" MPC build.

Also a favorite ship as a kid. Struck me as a practical outgrowth of the Saturn V lunar lander structure at the time. Love watching builds of this one as I make plans for my own 22" MPC build.
I definitely agree. Few ships look both as cool and at the same time believable. I considered the 22" kit, but I have extremely limited display space and they did a bang up job on the 14", so here we are. The only larger scale model I plan on is the 1/72 PG Falcon. I just can't pass it up, just have to save my pennies and hope I can find one at a reasonable price when I'm ready.

The rear tunnel where the engine cage mounts always seemed a little bare to me. Not an issue when they filmed the eagle since it was never really seen but it bugs me a little in a display model. I have a bunch of bits left over from my metal Razor Crest and they seem perfect for adding a little spice. This is just a rough placement, but I'm liking how it is looking. I'll probably cut off some of the tabs and run some wire between the bits to to look like cable/tubing runs. The top parts look like some sort of radiator panels so a connection seems natural there. I'll probably do some detailing on the bottoms of both tunnels as well, especially where the VTOL nozzles are.

20210608_183934.jpg
20210608_184002.jpg

Nice. Did not realize the photoetch added as much as it did! I kind of wish I had picked it up before I started building mine
Thanks! The biggest reason I picked up the PE was for a start on the interior and to correct the cockpit hatch. I'm going to add a basic control console and floor to the cockpit with Evergreen sheets, and I'm still torn on lighting it. I got a small electroluminescent sheet to cut down and approximate the lighted ceiling panels in the interior sets, but I got a "white" one planning to put a sheet of orange acetate on it. The problem is that the "white" is extremely blue tinged so I'm thinking it will go very greenish with the acetate and it's pretty dim to boot. Even though it's not correct, I may just leave it the blueish white. I also need to sort out the wiring with the removable modules (I have a habit of over complicating things sometimes). I'm at a little bit of a pause while I decide how to proceed.

I picked up a Flex-I-File at my local hobby shop and started sanding the cages in earnest. Even with the right tool it took about 3 hours worth of work to get the spine done, but I'm very happy with the results. I was able to really get into the corners and clean out the webbing on the tops of the diagonals. I'm really happy with how the raw plastic looks, we'll see if I need to do any additional work once I get a coat of primer on.

20210616_002547.jpg

20210616_002728.jpg

20210616_002626.jpg

20210616_002737.jpg

I've been paused (procrastinating) on this build while I try and figure out the lighting, but I recently decided to pull the trigger on a resin printer (probably an Elegoo Saturn). I'm still a week or three away from ordering the printer, but in the meantime, I'm working on some detail bits to print. First up is an improved RCS thruster quad. I didn't go too wild on them since they're tiny, but I did hollow out the bells and give a hint of a combustion chamber.

Eagle Transporter RCS Quad.JPG

Once I have the printer, I'll run some tests and see how the come out. Next up are the main VTOL thrusters. I plan to add some decent detail to those and will probably even do some piping and mock turbomachinery to poke out between the tunnel cage tubes.

I did some more work in Fusion. This time the main VTOL thrusters. I may have gone a little wild on this one. ;) It's definitely a departure from the studio model, we'll see how they print and if they look good on the model.

20210727_224747.jpg

VTOL 1.JPG

VTOL 2.JPG

VTOL 3.JPG

Those sure look better and more realistic than the stock kit ones. I would sacrifice slavish accuracy over something that looks better any day
Thanks! I can definitely appreciate the work that it takes to produce a model that's as accurate to filming miniatures as possible. It takes a lot of dedication, research, and skill. But I do like to add my own creative stamp, even if it's only in a minor fashion.

I got my Saturn on Friday and after setting it up and running a couple of calibration prints, I ran a set of the VTOL thrusters and RCS quads. The prints were successful, but the bells are exceedingly delicate (especially the RCS ones). I printed 8 of each and only got one VTOL thruster I'd consider usable and none of the RCS quads were, in addition to them breaking if you look at them wrong, they also badly warped. It's back into Fusion to beef things up a bit.

All in all, I'm really happy with the printer so far and I can't wait to start pushing it with full models.
20210814_205435.jpg

20210814_205531.jpg

20210814_184501.jpg

20210814_184446.jpg

20210814_184424.jpg

20210814_184405.jpg

20210814_184415.jpg

You could try different resin (like Sirya blue which is supposed to be harder/more durable), or even mix in a little of the "flexible" resin to make it less brittle?

You could try different resin (like Sirya blue which is supposed to be harder/more durable), or even mix in a little of the "flexible" resin to make it less brittle?
I'm using Siraya Build Grey, it's pretty tough (not as good a Blu from what I've seen, but less expensive). They're most delicate before curing. I think if I bulk them up a bit, and am really careful cleaning, it will be fine. Plus they're so small I can do a big batch on the build plate and should get an acceptable number of keepers. I only need four of each. :)

I've gone through a few iterations of the parts and I think I'm closing in on getting final versions. I'm on v3 of the RCS quads and I've beefed up the bells considerably and made the inner surface of the bells much shallower. It still looks good and adds considerable stability to them. The last batch still failed on one side for some reason, I think the supports may be not perfect on that side. I'm going to massage the supports and print another batch and see if that fixes it.

The original quad with all three versions.
20210907_215337.jpg

v1: This is the only one that was even close to coming out. At least one of the bells crumbled on all 7 of the others.
20210907_215431.jpg

v2: I doubled the wall thickness and enlarged the bells slightly as well as adding a little chamfer and recess to the body. All of them came out without breaking, but they all had some deformation, I tried three different support schemes and none of them fixed the issue entirely.
20210907_215439.jpg

v3: I thickened the walls of the bells slightly yet again and made them much more shallow on the inside. All of them had one squished bell on the same side, I think it's a support issue, so I'll adjust that in the slicer and run another batch. Curiously, I turned on anti aliasing for v2 and v3, and the layer lines look more pronounced. I'll have to sort that out.
20210907_215446.jpg

Underside of v3, you can see the squished bell. I think the island pulled of the support there and it didn't form correctly.
20210907_215529.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back