1/72 Bandai Red 5 X-Wing Fighter - Assembled and painted by StevetheSwede

cking

Sr Member
Once again, my good friend StevetheSwede has produced a scaled down ILM quality paintjob on my 1/72 Bandai X-Wing Fighter.
I am thrilled with the results!

Attachments

• Final-Comparison.jpg
    Final-Comparison.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
I’m about to post my own Bandai 1/72 here in the next few days, but this is miles better in comparison. I’m a bit discouraged now

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone. My own modelmaking and painting skills are nowhere near this level. At the end of the day - if you enjoy the hobby and are pleased with the end result based on your own skill set, you should share it and be proud of what you've done.

I think I over-weathered mine, and in an effort to reduce it, damaged a few decals. I think I should just top coat it now and call it a day.

I think I over-weathered mine, and in an effort to reduce it, damaged a few decals. I think I should just top coat it now and call it a day.

I find a good way to tone down overweathering is a mist coat of the base color. Matte or gloss varnish your subject, then use a very very thinned down color of your base coat or a light color and very lightly spray.

The same technique is also good if you use decals, the get decals to look a bit faded

I find a good way to tone down overweathering is a mist coat of the base color. Matte or gloss varnish your subject, then use a very very thinned down color of your base coat or a light color and very lightly spray.

The same technique is also good if you use decals, the get decals to look a bit faded

That’s good advice, but unfortunately I don’t have an airbrush, nor the ability to use it. My new apartment is very small, in fact I’m only working off a coffee table

I am literally speechless. Here is the little 1/72nd beauty in all its glory. This is a studio scale quality paintjob on something that is a fraction of the size of the ILM models. Truly, a work of art in my opinion and StevetheSwede has mastered this technique and style. Next up - 1/72nd Gold Leader Y-Wing.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_36f2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_36f2.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 514
  • fullsizeoutput_36f8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_36f8.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 504
I tried to match up the ILM reference photo. Hard to believe how much accuracy StevetheSwede was able to get into this tiny 1/72nd scale model compared to the studio scale miniatures. I've owned a lot of studio scale X-Wings and Kotobukiya X-Wing in the past, but this is by far the most accurate. (I added a hint of canopy glass into the photo of my model so it matched up even closer with the ILM photo).

Attachments

• 8x10inch-X-Wing1.jpg
    8x10inch-X-Wing1.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Here's a photo that shows just how incredible it is to be able to recreate the ILM paintjob on a model that is so much smaller than the original 1/24 scale filming miniature.

Attachments

• 1-24th-and-1-72nd.jpg
    1-24th-and-1-72nd.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 268
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back