1/6 Classic Hitch Hiker's Marvin build

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm just finishing up my 1/6 BBC TV version of Marvin before he goes into silicone later this week.

He's primarily constructed of acrylic and styrene sheet, I'm more used to prop builds, so also the tiny bolts and panel detail were 'interesting' with my clunky, chunky fingers :)

2ymc5dh.jpg

iegnzd.jpg

2u8i3hi.jpg

255m6wp.jpg

As much as I liked the movie and wished for sequels the BBC one is still the best. We actually used the script for the BBC radio version in my college audio editing class to record part of it and use it in a project. That's a lot of work to scratchbuild for sure.

Birdie,

That is absolutely frigging brilliant!!! I love it. You are really capturing the original, so well in fact I can almost hear Marvin's voice in my head (along with all the other "little" voices I hear). I'll be watching your progress on this one for sure.

Best regards,

Birdie,

i made the mistake of clicking your link to Yourprops. I would dearly love to talk to you about your 1999 props, especially the laser rifles. Could you PM me so I don't hijack this thread? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Really nice work on such a classic! I think I'll go and stick my head in a bucket of water now....

I will also be be moulding these next week :)

5x7tqa.jpg

Birdie,

i made the mistake of clicking your link to Yourprops. I would dearly love to talk to you about your 1999 props, especially the laser rifles. Could you PM me so I don't hijack this thread? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Me, the brain the size of a planet posing for beefcake photos. I think I will go to a corner and shut myself down.

Great work Birdie, Marvin looks fantastic!!! Have you decided on whether you are going to offer him for sale?

Should be early September, I'm off on holiday for two weeks next week (hope to get all the diodes down my left side fixed). Will post a For Sale thread when he's ready to Share & Enjoy :)

Me, the brain the size of a planet posing for beefcake photos. I think I will go to a corner and shut myself down.

Great work Birdie, Marvin looks fantastic!!! Have you decided on whether you are going to offer him for sale?

Any news on a run of these yet?
I really want one!
I own the BBC prop mug which Slartibartfast (Richard Vernon) gave to Arthur (Simon Jones) with some not-quite-tea in it whilst they talked about mice and Deep Thought on Magrathea and a small Marvin would be the perfect accompaniment to that prized possession.

View attachment 552693View attachment 552692

Very cool, don't see many original props from the show these days :)

Unfortunately I've had some life stuff happening the last couple of months that have really taken out any opportunity to work on props. I should be clear of obstacles by the end of this week, I want to rework a couple of Marvin parts to make casting kits easier, but he is definiteley coming!

Awesome work! Just the other day, I was considering the work involved in putting a Marvin together. After seeing yours, it's definitely one for the list.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the continued intererest in Marvin. As I mentioned before, I need to make some some changes that will allow me to make a better quality, but more affordable kit. Currently everything is cast in solid resin which is putting the kit at £90-100 to be cost effective with the price of Polyeurethane in the UK, so I'm looking at the possibility of casting the body section hollow.

Unfortunately I have a number of other projects that have slipped behind my intended deadlines, but I will be returning to the project as soon as humanly possible.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back