1/6 Classic Hitch Hiker's Marvin build

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Birdie, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm just finishing up my 1/6 BBC TV version of Marvin before he goes into silicone later this week.

He's primarily constructed of acrylic and styrene sheet, I'm more used to prop builds, so also the tiny bolts and panel detail were 'interesting' with my clunky, chunky fingers :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dcarty, 19narvik40 and Wes R like this.
  2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

As much as I liked the movie and wished for sequels the BBC one is still the best. We actually used the script for the BBC radio version in my college audio editing class to record part of it and use it in a project. That's a lot of work to scratchbuild for sure.

3. 19narvik40

19narvik40 Well-Known Member

Birdie,

That is absolutely frigging brilliant!!! I love it. You are really capturing the original, so well in fact I can almost hear Marvin's voice in my head (along with all the other "little" voices I hear). I'll be watching your progress on this one for sure.

Best regards,

4. 19narvik40

Birdie,

i made the mistake of clicking your link to Yourprops. I would dearly love to talk to you about your 1999 props, especially the laser rifles. Could you PM me so I don't hijack this thread? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

5. Antsnest

Antsnest Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really nice work on such a classic! I think I'll go and stick my head in a bucket of water now....

6. Birdie

I will also be be moulding these next week :)

[​IMG]

7. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great project! Can't wait to see it painted up!

8. Birdie

Your resin pal who's fun to be with!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Birdie

Forgot to post finished pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Vacformedhero, jarvis and robn1 like this.
  10. robn1

robn1 Master Member

It looks awful ;)

11. Birdie

I know. Wretched, isn't it?

edge10 and robn1 like this.
  12. 19narvik40

Me, the brain the size of a planet posing for beefcake photos. I think I will go to a corner and shut myself down.

Great work Birdie, Marvin looks fantastic!!! Have you decided on whether you are going to offer him for sale?

13. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Brilliant....he looks so happy

"life,...don't talk to me about life"

J

edge10 likes this.
  14. Birdie

Should be early September, I'm off on holiday for two weeks next week (hope to get all the diodes down my left side fixed). Will post a For Sale thread when he's ready to Share & Enjoy :)

15. 19narvik40

I'll be watching. Enjoy your vacation!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  16. userd1402

userd1402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any news on a run of these yet?
    I really want one!
    I own the BBC prop mug which Slartibartfast (Richard Vernon) gave to Arthur (Simon Jones) with some not-quite-tea in it whilst they talked about mice and Deep Thought on Magrathea and a small Marvin would be the perfect accompaniment to that prized possession.

View attachment 552693 View attachment 552692

17. Birdie

Very cool, don't see many original props from the show these days :)

Unfortunately I've had some life stuff happening the last couple of months that have really taken out any opportunity to work on props. I should be clear of obstacles by the end of this week, I want to rework a couple of Marvin parts to make casting kits easier, but he is definiteley coming!

18. userd1402

userd1402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any update?

19. Automaton

Automaton Well-Known Member

Awesome work! Just the other day, I was considering the work involved in putting a Marvin together. After seeing yours, it's definitely one for the list.

20. Birdie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the continued intererest in Marvin. As I mentioned before, I need to make some some changes that will allow me to make a better quality, but more affordable kit. Currently everything is cast in solid resin which is putting the kit at £90-100 to be cost effective with the price of Polyeurethane in the UK, so I'm looking at the possibility of casting the body section hollow.

Unfortunately I have a number of other projects that have slipped behind my intended deadlines, but I will be returning to the project as soon as humanly possible.

21. 19narvik40

Fair enough, please keep us posted. Thanks.

22. Birdie

23. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Nice job, Birdie. Did you figure how to hollow out some of the castings? When you said that, I immediately thought "Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty", which makes a great 'pour in' weight filler for figures (I use mostly on my vinyl figs for weight and dimensional stability...)

Regards, Robert

24. Birdie

Hey Robert,

It's all solid cast. I used 1/3 fillite powder in the mix which results in a strong durable cast and is as easily sandable as pure resin.

25. CAPTAINCOX

CAPTAINCOX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What!!! How cool is that! Now I am really jealous...that's a true Britt Sci-Fi artifact...priceless!

And @ Birdie compliments on a great build of one of the wonkiest and most manic depressive Robots ever conceived!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016