1/6 Boba Fett vinyl model kit

jusdrewit

Sr Member
I've had this kit since the early 2000's, I'm leaning towards '06 so in college. I've worked on it off on, trimming the vinyl or test fitting some parts but I've never gotten very far for some reason, perhaps it due to my unfamiliarity with vinyl. Anyways, last year I finally got around to strengthening the vinyl by pouring some hardening substance in the hollow holes like the arms and legs and torso so it wouldn't collapse later. I then finally got around to priming it and finally, perhaps due to being stuck at home due to covvid, I've pretty much finished.
Upon researching this kit I've become aware of the numerous recasts and honestly I don't know what I have as it was 14 years ago. However the rifle, stock, rangefinder and other little bits were a soft metal like material - not vinyl like I've seen on others reviews, so who knows.
I decided to base the paint scheme on ROTJ's SE Boba Fett costume. I initially wasn't going to do the Rotj jetpack as I was lazy and ESB's pack seemed easier lol, but I changed my mind later.
All in all I'm pretty happy with it, the CRL's on the 501st website state Boba's armor and helmet are a 'satin' finish which is what I used, (body was dull coated) however it still looks a little shiny to me even days later so I might change work on that still. The left, right arms and the rifle were so aggravating to get in the right position, I had to eventually cut the thumb and snapped the rifle a few times too make it work.
Unfortunately the model didn't come with any decals so I had to print them myself on decal paper after getting the right size determined. Also, I'm well aware certain proportions on this kit are way off; the ears, rocket on jetpack, etc but I decided to just leave it as is. I was also able to make the head rotate side to side as well which I'm happy about. Hope you all enjoy! Cross another off the list :)

20200511_165154.jpg20200511_165211.jpg20200511_165236.jpg20200511_163521.jpg20200511_163535.jpg20200511_163545.jpg20200511_165330.jpg20200511_163625.jpg20200511_163645.jpg20200511_163758.jpg20200511_163806.jpg20200511_164829.jpg

Last edited:
I know this kit. I can’t remember if I still have it or sold it. It was from back in the day (90s) when finding quality Star Wars items like this was nearly impossible.

You did a great job and I love the paint. I do think his chest armor looks too shiny. Maybe dull coat or steal wool???

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone! And I agree about the armor being to shiny, I think you're right Stormy320 , steel wool or maybe a light misting of dull coat to take off some of the shine. I don't want it too dull like the body, but a mist might do the trick

Ok hopefully some slightly better pics, I sure wish I had a better camera.. I did take some steel wool to the armor and I think it helped some, definitely isn't as shiny in person, not sure if the photos reflect that though.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about the base, was thinking just a wooden base with some pegs for the feet to fit in for stability.

DSCN0290.JPGDSCN0291.JPGDSCN0292.JPGDSCN0294.JPGDSCN0296.JPGDSCN0297.JPGDSCN0298.JPGDSCN0299.JPGDSCN0303.JPGDSCN0304.JPG

Minor update as a I made a wooden base for it. I originally stained the wood, but varnished wood just didn't look right so I tried a different color. Mando skull on the base is something I just drew up on a thin plastic sheet, painted it up and then stuck to it. Hopefully should be done now!

Attach01.jpgAttach01_01.jpgAttach01_02.jpgAttach01_03.jpgAttach01_04.jpgAttach01_05.jpg

Always loved this kit. Gluing vinyl can be a pain, but some of the older models had accommodations for leaving a plug on the parts, so you could achieve a stronger bond. Weird you had so much trouble with the arms and rifle... I would have suggested heating it to soften it, but then I remembered you said you strengthened it... so that probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Looks great.

Always loved this kit. Gluing vinyl can be a pain, but some of the older models had accommodations for leaving a plug on the parts, so you could achieve a stronger bond. Weird you had so much trouble with the arms and rifle... I would have suggested heating it to soften it, but then I remembered you said you strengthened it... so that probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Looks great.
Thanks! And Yeah I think by then I had already poured that stuff inside the body, arms, legs to strengthen it, so I messed up there as I'm sure your idea would've worked. I also replaced his Rotj Ee-3 with the ESB ee-3. The roti one wasn't very accurate so I decided to try the other variant.

Getting close! Need to clean the neck up a bit next. I added a much better jetpack and replaced the rigid vinyl cape it came with, with a cloth one I made myself. I think I'll use steel wool on a few areas and then redo the base as I've never been happy with it and then I finally can cross this off my'to do' list :)

20231127_215825_1.jpg20231127_220350_1.jpg20231127_220402_1.jpg

Redid the kill stripes and laid down a matte finish on everything. Need to touch up a few areas and the figure might be done! Next up is redoing the ugly base with something sleeker. Hobby lobby trip incoming

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_081613_171.jpg
    IMG_20231130_081613_171.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 21

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back