1/48th B-Wing 3d Print

Same! I still have a bunch of Bandai and other models to finish which are awesome in their own right, but now they look so tiny :)
They do.. But 1/72 Scale is still my favorite... For now. I'm really liking 1/48th scale and I think my new happy place will be 1/24th.

The Elegoo Saturn will allow me to do some super fine detail prints at 1/350 as well. I have some figures in painting to update my 1/350 Docking Bay 94 diorama and I'll post those soon.

This is looking great! And it looks so much bigger than the Bandai kit! Very cool!

SB
Thanks man! I'm loving the 1/48th scale stuff. For me, 1/24th is going to give me the perfect scale for having models small enough yet the figures will allow me to paint them with extreme details while remaining somewhat small. I'm having fun no matter what, though!

I don't know if your goal is to go for true studio scale or just 1/24 overall, but the Bwing filming model was closer to 1/35, not 1/24. But I understand if you just want to make them all in the same scale. It looks weird when everything is 1/24 and you have one off scale. That's why some kit makers made a 1/24 version of the bwing (using part of the same source models at bigger scale when available). Same thing with the Awing, the main filming model was 1/12, but there is a 1/24 kit floating around

I think that is the reason the Bandai A-Wing and B-Wing are noticeably out of scale for 1/72 and the Ties are larger than the Fine Molds 1/72 ones ( I think the Studio Scale Ties were technically 1/16 scale)

Like many, they followed the numbers that went with the assumption that all Studio Scale models were built as 1/24 models.

I think the scale of the studio models is mostly guesswork based on the scale of the pilot figure they put inside the cockpit (also grabbed from other kits, no custom figures, except for the snowspeeder as far as I know). In the case of the bwing it's 1/32.
I said 1/35 earlier but I confused 1/35 which the standard scale for tanks/trucks models and 1/32, which is used for aircrafts and the pilot inside the bwing is definitely not a tank figure. It's not a huge difference, but still, if you want to be accurate :)

I know ILM did not necessarily worry about correctly scaled pilots. They used whatever was close enough. i.e. just because something had a 1/24 pilot for example did not guarantee the ships intended scale was 1/24

Case in point, the Tie Fighters had 1/24 pilots but the fighters supposedly were built to 1/16 according to an old interview)

Thanks to this thread I just purchased the B-wing/Y-Wing combo pack. Impressive models. Looking forward to printing these kits over the Christmas holiday. X-Wing and TIE fighters are on the wish list.

I think the modeling community needed 3d printers... It has injected some much needed excitement back into the hobby... At least for me... Lol
Tell me about it. I bought a Creality LD-002R and the UW-02 to finish up my Revell AT-AT. The rest of the custom parts will be 3D printed.
For us modeler. Its a positive thing to add this technology on to our workbench.

I have been away doing other things... But I have a new 4k printer (Anycubic Mono X :)) and my old one, too... so you will be seeing more projects from me, to include this one...

Hello Korben

This looks amazing... Never build a studio scale model, only regular kits... And back when they where the crappy ERTL/AMT... I've always loved the B-wing design, I recently bought the bandai kit, it's really a nice kit, nothing like this tho, but still.

3d printing has really been taking off these past couple of years, I used to model a lot of stuff in 3dsmax, somehow life got in the way, and I just recently got back into modeling kits again. I've been wondering, how much 3d experience does one need to get into 3d printing? With my background I'd probably wouldn't be starting from zero...

Anyway... I hope you get back into this, I'd love to follow along.

Hello Korben

This looks amazing... Never build a studio scale model, only regular kits... And back when they where the crappy ERTL/AMT... I've always loved the B-wing design, I recently bought the bandai kit, it's really a nice kit, nothing like this tho, but still.

3d printing has really been taking off these past couple of years, I used to model a lot of stuff in 3dsmax, somehow life got in the way, and I just recently got back into modeling kits again. I've been wondering, how much 3d experience does one need to get into 3d printing? With my background I'd probably wouldn't be starting from zero...

Anyway... I hope you get back into this, I'd love to follow along.
Hey Larsen,

Dude, 3d printing is the easy part. The mastery comes in designing models to print. I've dabbled in 3dsMax and use it to assemble stl files for full prints, but I haven't really gone any further. I'm back into now, just still recovering for a bit from my second hip replacement in 3 months. I'll have some stuff to post soon, for sure. I also look forward to seeing what you come up with down the road.

The next thread I'll be starting is one for the Skyblade 300 from Solo. Since I did a toy conversion of that same model, I'm super excited to print and paint the model I bought from one of the members here. It's available on CGTrader. But I'll have all that info in the thread.

Thanks,
Kris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back