1/48th B-Wing 3d Print

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

korben44

Sr Member
Same! I still have a bunch of Bandai and other models to finish which are awesome in their own right, but now they look so tiny :)
They do.. But 1/72 Scale is still my favorite... For now. I'm really liking 1/48th scale and I think my new happy place will be 1/24th.

The Elegoo Saturn will allow me to do some super fine detail prints at 1/350 as well. I have some figures in painting to update my 1/350 Docking Bay 94 diorama and I'll post those soon.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

korben44

Sr Member
This is looking great! And it looks so much bigger than the Bandai kit! Very cool!

SB
Thanks man! I'm loving the 1/48th scale stuff. For me, 1/24th is going to give me the perfect scale for having models small enough yet the figures will allow me to paint them with extreme details while remaining somewhat small. I'm having fun no matter what, though!

Analyzer

Sr Member
I don't know if your goal is to go for true studio scale or just 1/24 overall, but the Bwing filming model was closer to 1/35, not 1/24. But I understand if you just want to make them all in the same scale. It looks weird when everything is 1/24 and you have one off scale. That's why some kit makers made a 1/24 version of the bwing (using part of the same source models at bigger scale when available). Same thing with the Awing, the main filming model was 1/12, but there is a 1/24 kit floating around

I think that is the reason the Bandai A-Wing and B-Wing are noticeably out of scale for 1/72 and the Ties are larger than the Fine Molds 1/72 ones ( I think the Studio Scale Ties were technically 1/16 scale)

Like many, they followed the numbers that went with the assumption that all Studio Scale models were built as 1/24 models.

OlivierC

I think the scale of the studio models is mostly guesswork based on the scale of the pilot figure they put inside the cockpit (also grabbed from other kits, no custom figures, except for the snowspeeder as far as I know). In the case of the bwing it's 1/32.
I said 1/35 earlier but I confused 1/35 which the standard scale for tanks/trucks models and 1/32, which is used for aircrafts and the pilot inside the bwing is definitely not a tank figure. It's not a huge difference, but still, if you want to be accurate :)

Analyzer

Sr Member
I know ILM did not necessarily worry about correctly scaled pilots. They used whatever was close enough. i.e. just because something had a 1/24 pilot for example did not guarantee the ships intended scale was 1/24

Case in point, the Tie Fighters had 1/24 pilots but the fighters supposedly were built to 1/16 according to an old interview)

Hagoth

Thanks to this thread I just purchased the B-wing/Y-Wing combo pack. Impressive models. Looking forward to printing these kits over the Christmas holiday. X-Wing and TIE fighters are on the wish list.