Limited Run 1/48 Y-Wing Kit (SLA resin printed)

I think I am interested, just wondering if there should be some painting that takes place during assembly or can be done after final assembly?
PM sent. It depends on which Y-Wing you're going for. I find it's easier to paint the yellow and blue bands on the engines before you attach the clamps for the the t-rods, as seen in my image below:

IMG_5693.jpg

Otherwise you'd be masking around those clamps, and that doesn't seem like much fun. Overall, though, I think you can pretty much assemble the whole thing and then paint it up. You can see how I did it on my model in my thread here, starting on about pg 10: **COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

SB

I think I am interested, just wondering if there should be some painting that takes place during assembly or can be done after final assembly?
I tend to look at subassemblies, and what will be hard to reach if I assemble it fully. In some cases, spraying/airbrushing after assembly leaves nice "shadows" behind conduits and such and make the texture more apparent -- especially with a ship like this. I'd assemble the cockpit interior, paint it, paint the pilot seat separately, paint the cockpit shell, glue the cockpit tub in, then the pilot seat, etc. paint the thrust nozzles separately from the engine nacelles, and probably the vectoring vanes, too. Paint the droid separately. Paint the guns separately. The rear fuselage, pylons, and engine nacelles can probably be painted all in one go. Probably do a two-tone approach -- a darker base color, then glue the pipes and other "floating" greeblies on, and mist the lighter shade over that. Then detail.

Those more experienced than I, that sound like a good approach? Especially you, StevenBills -- you did the first pass, after all.

I tend to look at subassemblies, and what will be hard to reach if I assemble it fully. In some cases, spraying/airbrushing after assembly leaves nice "shadows" behind conduits and such and make the texture more apparent -- especially with a ship like this. I'd assemble the cockpit interior, paint it, paint the pilot seat separately, paint the cockpit shell, glue the cockpit tub in, then the pilot seat, etc. paint the thrust nozzles separately from the engine nacelles, and probably the vectoring vanes, too. Paint the droid separately. Paint the guns separately. The rear fuselage, pylons, and engine nacelles can probably be painted all in one go. Probably do a two-tone approach -- a darker base color, then glue the pipes and other "floating" greeblies on, and mist the lighter shade over that. Then detail.

Those more experienced than I, that sound like a good approach? Especially you, StevenBills -- you did the first pass, after all.
Has yours arrived yet? Mine is scheduled for tomorrow.

Oh, yeah. Got it over the weekend. I hadn't realized how much work Steve had put into making the thing easier/cleaner to print. My suggestion, that you quoted, was instantly obsoleted by the fact that the cockpit tub and pilot seat are all part of the nose assembly, which will make for much less assembly time, albeit a little more fiddly with the painting. I'm not lighting mine, so that's not a consideration. I am, however, doing landing gear, so that'll slow me down. *lol*

Nice work Bill! Sign me up and take my money :)

Really, these look amazing. Having them printed and ready to go along with the extra accuracy, I am in for sure. This will be a great step toward doing a 1:24th..

Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back