1:48 Scale Y Wing

Cool.
Some of the parts look right, others don´t. I guess it´ll be impossible to find all the needed ones in the right size, but what you´ve found already is a great effort. :)

Even the parts that are very similar are still off somewhat. Plus I don't think the high-resolution 3D printing is high enough resolution to make exact parts - also it's expensive!

IMO, though, it will be much closer than the SMT Y. The only way I can get it exact is to make a series of naptha-filled molds, which would also be expensive, or start my own injection-molding model kit company. Speaking of the Naptha - if I could even get that to work, how much would someone even be willing to pay for a kit of it?

Hold on fellas - maybe I'm not done finding kits yet:

icm_48102_parts1.jpg

icm_48102_parts3.jpg

Ok guys, listen. I think I got off on the wrong foot on this one. It has been sitting idle for a while and I should have done more research. I found another site that has sprues on it, and I found some 1:72 kits that I don't have yet - mostly Italeri stuff. There are some parts that look great. Let me grab some of them and see if I can make some improvements. I can have the fuselage halves printed out again...

Got my parts today, but most of them didn't come out right. Some of the walls were too thin. This method is not the best for small, detailed parts, but surprisingly, the best part in this batch was the smallest, most detailed one. I attached a picture of it. I fixed the rest of the parts. The nozzle insert came out pretty good too - there were just some minor screw-ups. I fixed those, and I am pretty sure it will come out better in the next run. I am going to re-submit them tomorrow. I was not charged for the messed up pieces. I would take more pictures but I can't get bright enough light in here.

*sigh*... STILL waiting for my printed parts... I want to try my hand at shrinking molds with Naptha, but I was wondering if any other solvent would work? The rubber I have is Alumilite Quick Set, but not sure if it's "quick" enough. I'd rather not experiment with that, though, because it's pretty expensive.

Has anyone tried using any different solvent?

Wow that is very nice! maybe something that I will actually be able to afford on here for once! haha

Looks good to me!If I remember right, none of the S.S Y-Wing models built for Star wars were detailed with the exact same parts.The major components I think yes,but not all the little greeblies.This makes yours unique and that is something in itself I.M.O.

It sounded like Cobywan had the method of controleled shrinking down of a casting to near a science... perhaps you can work a deal with him to mold up some of the part you can't find 1/2 scale and shrink them for you...

Just a thought...

Jedi Dade

It sounded like Cobywan had the method of controleled shrinking down of a casting to near a science... perhaps you can work a deal with him to mold up some of the part you can't find 1/2 scale and shrink them for you...

Just a thought...

Jedi Dade

I think he's scratchbuilt everything that I couldn't find smaller versions of. I am really intrigued by this shrink method, but I cannot afford it right now. I can't afford much of anything right now.

One day I want to have 1:48 X Wings, Y Wings, and TIE Fighters that are identical to the studio models (as close as is possible). They take up 1/8th the room!

But that won't be for some time in the future - I'll probably try getting them printed in a hi-res process like SLA or PolyJet - but this will take some time to design all the details in CAD, as well as additional research on the X Wing and TIE Fighter.

As soon as I get my PC fixed, I will get started in that again.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back