1:48 scale Orion III from 2001: ASO

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by CaptCBoard, May 1, 2012.

1. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This model is 42 inches long with a 21 inch wingspan and will be departing in June! Questions? Please email me! No PMs, please.

And, yes, this is Studio Scale!

Scott Alexander
    Atomic City Models
    AtomicCity@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  2. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Do you get Pan-Am decals?

That's awesome work Captain.

3. CaptCBoard

Pan-Am markings and other misc. will be included.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Wow.

Did the curse get lifted on that model?

Nice job.

5. CaptCBoard

Yes. All it took was money.

6. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good Scott. Really impressive!

7. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This will have to be hung from the ceiling.

8. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Terrific...

9. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

Payment sent.

I'v already collected some old decals and kit parts as I had planed to make my own SS scale Orion.
    But now with Scotts kit, I'v got an accurate fuse already done for me, and at a reasonable price to boot!

Oh boy, I'm gonna accurize the snot out of this thing!

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking forward to doing a simple build.
    Clean up, assemble, dark primer, paint, panel, decal.
    Light weathering. Launch!

11. CaptCBoard

ShowCraft-- If you know what decals were used on the Orion, would you mind sharing? I'm putting the artwork together for my decal sheet and I was just going to make things that looked right, but if you know these things that I don't, I'd be most appreciative. Please email me if you are inclined to enlighten me!

Scott
    AtomicCity@gmail.com

12. jockdeboer

jockdeboer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy crap!!! Man that is nice. Scott you did great.

13. ShowCraft

What markings I can make out on the Orion may come from the 1/48 Monogram P-61 Black Widow.
    The decal sheet is in the original issue of the kit, not the current offering by Revell.

Update - turns out to be a false lead. Kit release date is too late. However, decals from this kit may still be a suitable replacement if the correct markings are not found.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  14. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All the evidence I can find about that kit shows it was produced by Monogram in 1974. Could the same decals have been used when it was an Aurora kit? I believe that's the origin of the kit in the 1960s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. ShowCraft

I think your right Graham. The Monogram kit is too late. Problem is, the Aurora kit decals don't have the markings needed either.
    The info I have on the Orion was from some modeling boards a number of years ago and those guys had ID'd parts from the Prestwin 00 Silo kit and the Airfix B29 along with the Black Widow decal claim. I got the decals and some of the markings do seem to be a match. The segmentet circular bits in particular.
    So now I'm scratching my head over these. The markings sure do look right and they are the correct size but just not possible cuz of the release date :unsure

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  16. GKvfx

GKvfx Sr Member

The segmented circular bits in the decal sheets are either fuel filling ports or logos that went on the propellor blades (depending on which circular decals you were referencing). As such, they should be available in many different kits of similar aircraft/scales.

Gene

17. Ryder

Ryder New Member

Atomic City Orion

Hi All... with the 2001: a space odyssey Orion now announced at Atomic City, I am trying to find out how close the model is to studio. I've never seen a picture of the real model near anything that provides a good reference. The new kit is supposed to be 42" and change. Is that anywhere near what the real Orion probably was? If anything, I'm thinking it must be a bit on the small side, but honestly, I have no idea. I wish there were more/better production images from 2001! Too bad Stanley was such a secretive man.

18. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

19. Ryder

Ryder New Member

Re: Atomic City Orion

Right... there is a claim that it is studio scale. I am trying to verify the claim.

20. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Re: Atomic City Orion

I know your new here and want to find out as much as you can, but if Scott releases a model and says it's SS, then there's a pretty good bet it is. He has been doing stuff like this for a looong time.

21. CaptCBoard

There is split opinion on how large the Orion filming model was. One debate supports 62-63 inches long. Another claims the model was 57 inches long, saying he has talked with the builder and that's where he got the info. From my point of view, the model was 42 inches long, which is the same size as the studio drawings.

At 63 inches, the scale is 1:33.33
    At 57 inches, the scale is 1:36.8
    At 42 inches, the scale is 1:50

So, rounding all the scales to what is practical, we get 1:32, 1:35 and 1:48. Only 1:32 and 1:48 are found on architects rulers, which in this case does not really matter. The only thing that can really be used to identify the size of the model is the Airfix part found in the exhaust nozzles. I do not own one of these parts, but someone who is very, very knowledgeable confirms that the part fits to the 42 inch version best. And, lastly, there is a note on the studio drawing that says to build the model to the size of the drawing. But, those who like using calculators will note that a 63 inch model is exactly 150% of the 42 inch model. I'd be curious to see how small that Airfix part would look in the exhaust nozzle of a model that is 50% larger than the one in the drawing.

The end result here is that we have no clear evidence of the size of the Orion filming model. Just a good, educated guess.

Scott

22. wannab

wannab Sr Member

That is a beauty!
    Wish I had a place to put one (other than the garage).

Any of you guys that get one had better post up a build thread or a look what I did thread! I'd love to see this finished off.

Doug

23. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I had a chance to work on that, but my eyes are gone and I couldn't to the lines anymore. Sorry about that Scott.

Glad to see it done. It will go well with a little something 10 people are about to receive. ;-)

24. ShowCraft

The parts in the filming models exhaust nozzles are 1 3/16" - 3cm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  25. fiendishwizard

fiendishwizard New Member

looking good man, looking very good.