1:4 scale optimus prime head

I was setting back the other day thinking about some of my old projects that I'd like to revisit and improve upon and my old 1/4 scale optimus prime just stuck in my head. It started out that we were going to make a 6ft tall prime. We were able to get the head rough in when we had to stop. So after may years with the project unfinished I think I'm going to start it back up but just build a 1:1 scale head with some wires hinging out to look like the real primes head but just ripped off and hang it on the wall. Here is the prototype we build years ago.
idhhe0.jpg
ri5ki9.jpg

If I build this again I'll be using our cnc machine and make more than one of them. Is anybody interested?

Last edited:
Re: 1:1 scale optimus prime head

I love the G1 Prime and will be following this with great interest. I have a pep helmet I'm working on redoing myself. What did you make the one pictured out of? Foam? The overall shape is very good and I even like the coloring. Nice Job! :thumbsup

I agree - G1 was the best...but wouldn't a 1:1 scale head mean that his head would have to be the size of an old VW Bug?

Thanks guys, G1 prime is the best of the designs. G1 is the best all around when it comes to transformers. To answer your question the head was made with foam that we had leftover from some RC planes we built. To answer the other question about scale if my math is right the head would be 3ft 6in sq. Roughly. I think. Maybe. Pretty sure though. I'll double check to be sure. Maybe a half scale would be more to every bodies liking. I want to make more than just one so what scale do you guys think I should build it in. The mic is now open.

Well since you ask regarding scale I think one that can be easliy displayed and even worn like a helmet would be good. The pep model I have is about 1 ft sq but due to the thick side panels it won't get over my ears. :facepalm I'm not exactly what that scale ends up being but if I were to make a full version if he stood around 8' tall that would be awesome. Jut my 2 cents

Well I checked my math and a 1979 freight liner cab is 8' wide or 96"wide. Using the master piece optimus prime as reference. Primes head comes out to be 3' 9"sq. So that's a pretty big ***** head. If we done it on a half scale it would be 1'10.5". What do you guys think. I'm cool ether way.

Sorry guy's but wouldn't a 1:1 scale head be like the size of a refrigerator??? Also I fail to see what this has to do with studio scale filming miniatures. This maybe better suited in the general modeling section. Good luck with your project.

Your right jedimaster I posted this tread in the wrong section. I'll have to move it. Also I'm
Changing the scale to 1/4 or 1/2. The reason being I would like to build some different transformers like megatron and starscream. I think it would be cool to have a collection of g1 heads all together on a shelf. So they will be scaled down because it would be a little hard to house five to ten heads that's 3 1/2 ft sq.

Last edited:

... I think it would be cool to have a collection of g1 heads all together on a shelf. ...

Now that's what I'm talking about :love That would be freaking cool. I'm not sure I would go with exactly 1/4 scale I'm still suggesting making it large enough for someone to wear which would be just a tad bit larger than 1/4 scale which only works out to around 10.5. Again just my 2 cents :)

I think that's a good idea we should make them like a helmet. Well there's only one thing lift to do now and that's get started on a new prime head. I have another project that I'm working on right now (voltron keys) so with my free time I will work on some 3d models of the heads. If anybody want's to help with this project fell free your time will be rewarded.

Any idea as to what scale factor to use to make it a wearable helmet? Sorry for the noob question but i've tried following some of the tutorials and they don't seem to scale properly...any other formulas or recommendations you guys can help me out with?

Any idea as to what scale factor to use to make it a wearable helmet? Sorry for the noob question but i've tried following some of the tutorials and they don't seem to scale properly...any other formulas or recommendations you guys can help me out with?
Im building my Optimus gun. It's 1:4 scale. Its 4 feet long. The actual would be about 16 feet long. These were measurments I took based on the real truck and how big the gun is that came with the toy.

I also have the pdo for the blaster that I was thinking of doing as well, did you change the scale on that file as well CJS? If so, what measurements are you using if you don't mind me asking.

Cool head man. I've been a Transfan for years and had considered giving making one a try. Even thought about the gun also.

Avolow.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back