1/350 Medical Frigate (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Darkeyes, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Darkeyes

Darkeyes New Member

Hello everyone, been a lurker here for some time and I thought I’d share my latest build. I mostly build 1/350 warships, but I thought I’d tackle one of my favorite ships from ESB in 1/350 scale. I tried to get the basic shape down, and then freehand the details using spare parts accumulated over 30 years of modeling. The Falcon is from the Rawcliffe pewter collection, which I almost hated to use it after seeing what it sells for these days but I purchased it years ago for this purpose in mind. Eventually I’ll have other ships from the fleet added to the scene. Overall it was a pretty fun project.

MF13.jpg
    MF12.jpg
    MF11.jpg

MF10.jpg
    MF09.jpg
    MF08.jpg
    MF07.jpg
    MF06.jpg
    MF05.jpg
    MF04.jpg
    MF03.jpg
    MF02.jpg
    MF01.jpg
    MF14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow looks great! love the paintjob

3. oregonweim

oregonweim New Member

very nice

4. owenseago

owenseago New Member

Incredible detail. Great looking bird!

5. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

I have to tell you that the ending to ESB is just pitch perfect to me. Emotional compelling, sad get hopeful... the grand shot of the spiral galaxy... the unbelievable power of John William's score... and then you have the Medical Frigate, which is hands down one of my all time favorite ships in the Star Wars universe...mostly because of its "motor boat engine" design and the emotional power in the coda for all the above stated reasons.

What a great build! I wish someone would make a kit available of this ship (Is there one available?). Thank you for sharing!

6. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

BTW, for a "first post" that's a winner. Helluva way to kick off your presence on the site!

7. Noumcea

Noumcea Active Member

Mate, how long did it take you build that beauty ?

Gobsmakking work !!

8. Darkeyes

Darkeyes New Member

Thanks for the nice replies! It took me about 2 months to build, but I put a lot of time into it. Currently working on the rebel transport, although I’m scaling the transport to about 120 meters rather than the usually listed 90 meters for its length. I read a very good analysis on the transport’s size, and 90 meters is just too small, so I agreed that 120 meters is much closer to the actual size. I’ll post some updated pics as I get the fleet together.

Oh, here's a link to the warships I've done:

M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y

9. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Fantastic build and paintjob!...maybe a bit of clear styrene over the med bay window?

Rich

10. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Wow!! That is awesome. That is one of my favorite ship designs. Great job on the build and paint job.

11. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

oh man, that is sweet. Great work!
    :)

12. Darkeyes

Darkeyes New Member

Actually I added a clear window after I took those pics; I was trying to avoid any reflecting from the flash.

13. xingshen

xingshen Active Member

For a scratch build with " freehand " details this looks really good

Nice job

14. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Excellent, see, you pre-empted me! Love this build! The detailing is really authentic looking!

Rich

15. Darkeyes

Darkeyes New Member

Thought I’d post a little update on my ESB diorama. Completed the rebel transport, however, I shaped the hull a little too cylindrical. I like the way the hull plating turned out though. I figure the rebellion has several transports in their fleet, so they are all slightly different. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Also built a little x-wing and y-wing this weekend. Now, off to the blockade runner.

Transport01.jpg
    Transport02.jpg
    Transport03.jpg
    Transport04.jpg
    x-wing02.jpg
    fleet01.jpg

16. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

Woow ! such a great build !
    This is one of the best scene through all the SW sequel.
    I can feel your love for these ships.

17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Those matte lines are terrible :sleep

But the builds are great, very nice work and a cool diorama :thumbsup

18. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Great stuff!

19. Darkeyes

Darkeyes New Member

I wanted to do one last post to finish up this project after completing the Blockade Runner. I cheated on this one and began with the Collectors Fleet blockade runner toy which scales out nicely to 1/350, then tore it apart and re-detailed it. I also scratch built an engine section and decided to build it as the ROTJ version with the extra guns. You can never have too many guns. Then I made one of the little fleet ships and added some Micro Machine ships for the background, and my winter project is done.

blockaderunner01.jpg

blockaderunner05.jpg

background01.jpg

fleetdone02.jpg