1/350 Klingon Bird of Prey - Improving the AMT Kit

Akwalek

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
AMTKBOP.jpg

Hi and thanks for checking out my thread!

I've always really loved the design of the Klingon Bird of Prey from the original Star Trek movies and The Next Generation.
The shape and complex colour schemes really appealed to me as a lover of sci-fi and a modeler so I wanted to build a kit.

Anyone whose wanted to do the same knows there's not a lot of choice out there. I was not invested enough to get a large resin model so went for the AMT/ERTL kit.
Found the Flight Display version on eBay for a reasonable price and set about checking out the contents.

To be honest I was not very impressed. The details are very much of their time. The more I looked at reference the more details I saw missing from the kit and would have to scratch build to end up with a model I'd be happy with.

My motivation was sapped.....

THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO NOW!
Last week I was looking for a time out project to be working on alongside my Deckard's Sedan kit and I opened up this guy again.
Started feeling all nostalgic and like I'd really like a nice KBOP in my collection.
I feel a little more prepared for the job now I've got 10 years more experience to lean on so thought I'd give it a go.

This may be a bit of a slow build but having this thread on the go should help with my motivation.
Would be great to have you along for the ride!

Last edited:

Akwalek

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Please forgive me a little on these first few posts. I have done a little on this kit on and off over the last 10 years which I do not have photos for.

So first up, one of my biggest issues with the kit is the hull panels. The outlines are soft and over simplified.
I wanted to do tackle this back when I first got the kit, but it seemed like such a daunting task.

Well, I'm not letting that get in the way now!
The area I've started with is the 'hump' just behind the 'neck'. Here's a before shot taken from the box art.

PXL_20220620_185132611.jpg

I've linked here what it should look like from the reference I found online at the Modelers Miniatures & Magic site.

I'd already made a start on this several years back by sanding the raised details to flat.
This is part of a larger upper hull piece that has been chopped up to accommodate a hinge mechanism kit that I'll cover later.

Next I laid strips of masking tape over the form.
Klingon Bird of Prey super detailing - Akwalek RPF

I then started marking out the centre line and hull plating forms around this from the reference I had available.

Next step was to cut out the pieces leaving a gap between them. Originally I was just going to do this by cutting two lines but then I remembered a tip I'd picked up somewhere and made this little tool.

It's two 10A scalpel blades superglued together with the tips parallel to one another.
This was run over the lines and the strips it left peeled away until I had this.

Each panel template was then carefully peeled off and stuck onto a sheet of 0.25mm styrene sheet.

They were cut out and then using the reference each one was detailed with notches.
The masking tape was peeled off and the pieces glued in place using EMA Plastic Weld. The panels at the front needed a bit more encouragement at this due to the more pronounced curvature of the hull.
This is where I'm up to so far.

scotthothpatrol

Please forgive me a little on these first few posts. I have done a little on this kit on and off over the last 10 years which I do not have photos for.

So first up, one of my biggest issues with the kit is the hull panels. The outlines are soft and over simplified.
I wanted to do tackle this back when I first got the kit, but it seemed like such a daunting task.

Well, I'm not letting that get in the way now!
The area I've started with is the 'hump' just behind the 'neck'. Here's a before shot taken from the box art.

View attachment 1589602

I've linked here what it should look like from the reference I found online at the Modelers Miniatures & Magic site.

I'd already made a start on this several years back by sanding the raised details to flat.
This is part of a larger upper hull piece that has been chopped up to accommodate a hinge mechanism kit that I'll cover later.

Next I laid strips of masking tape over the form.
View attachment 1589611

I then started marking out the centre line and hull plating forms around this from the reference I had available.
View attachment 1589615

Next step was to cut out the pieces leaving a gap between them. Originally I was just going to do this by cutting two lines but then I remembered a tip I'd picked up somewhere and made this little tool.
View attachment 1589618

It's two 10A scalpel blades superglued together with the tips parallel to one another.
This was run over the lines and the strips it left peeled away until I had this.
View attachment 1589616

Each panel template was then carefully peeled off and stuck onto a sheet of 0.25mm styrene sheet.
View attachment 1589619

They were cut out and then using the reference each one was detailed with notches.
The masking tape was peeled off and the pieces glued in place using EMA Plastic Weld. The panels at the front needed a bit more encouragement at this due to the more pronounced curvature of the hull.
This is where I'm up to so far.

View attachment 1589621 View attachment 1589622
That's a cool trick putting two blades together for the gap between the panels.

Akwalek

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That's a cool trick putting two blades together for the gap between the panels.
Yeah, simple but effective. You can use it to cut consistent width strips of tape for masking or strips of styrene for detailing too.
You can also put shims between the blades to vary the width of strip.
This is an ambitious project, and I agree with @scotthothpatrol, the two blades trick is really cool and helpful.
Yeah, its going to be a lot of work but I think it will look great when finished so that helps with motivation.
The bit I'm most daunted by is cutting all the slits for the windows, definitely some potential there for a major FU!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.