1/350 enterprise d 6 footer

Galaxyman1701d

I am a custom automotive painter/bodyman and have always wanted to build a big enterprise d. After seeing some of the projects on this site I was inspired to start a 1/350 enterprise d. Figured I would start with the nacelles and go from there. Also did a test board to see if I could find a better way to mask the windows, I was very happy with the results. I started out masking the windows, sealer/priming the surface, then built up with three colors for the aztec scheme (the model will have the four colors though), gloss clearcoated with automotive clearcoat, then a sanded down to the tape I layed out for the windows, then I flat clearcoated and pulled the tape. It left a nice clean window edge which I followed with some gloss clear in the window. Any suggestions throughout the build would be appreciated!

Am constantly checking reference from Christie's Auction. Will recruit my dads help for fiberglass molds definately! Thanks for the interest. Will upload more pics soon!

Here is some more pics, just to show you the size of this monster!:eek My wife has already told me it has to stay in the garage,:behave but I am trying to convince my 11 year old to hang it as a bedroom light....cant wait to do the saucer!

***UPDATE***
Got started on the secondary hull of the beast this weekend, just wanted to post some pics!
Ribbed up with 1/4" mdf, was nice and easy to cut and sand to shape.
Also sprayed another coat of primer on the nacelle, starting to look pretty good!
Gotta keep rollin while the inspiration and motivation is going!

I am using the enterprise d blueprints scaled up....for the most part they are pretty accurate. But I do have slight issue with the window placement and the fact there is a row of windows missing on the lower part of the secondary hull. So I will do my best to replicate the 6 foot studio model.

Basically what I am using is the official blueprints along with an old amt ent d that I built like 15 years ago for a starting point. As many measurements as I can get off the blueprints I am using to make my ribs out of, what I can't see on the blueprints I use the amt model. Then I will fill it with foam, trim and rough shape it with bondo. I am trying to build it up the same way the original was done in 87. Once I get a rough shape I will compare it to as many pictures of the original 6 foot model that I can find, reshape what's needed then primer, etc. The only things I want to do different on my masters are no windows (I will have stencils cutout that will line up with the grid line of the ship), phaser banks as separate detailed resin pieces, no raised lifeboat or little greeble details ( if someone wants to add them they can, most were to cover screws anyway), and I am hoping I can make the main molds from just fiberglass or exopy(depending what I can afford). Thanks for looking, will be back working this weekend, hope to have more update pics next week!

*********update 6/10/12*********
Ok, ok, the first 2 pics are of the amt I built around 15 years ago. I got a lot done on this monster this week. finished the ribs on the secondary hull and sprayed that crazy foam in between them. Got started on the lower section of the saucer section, I decided to sheet between the ribs since it is an easier shape. Now off to work with it to bondo, fiberglass, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand..........
and then some more, primer, sanding.
...............oh and yes thats my almost 3 year old, number 3 of 5.
...............and that is my old car fender for size comparison.:eek
...............and no coke for me I need something stronger, sorry REL :love

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back