1:350 Endurance Scratchbuild (Interstellar)

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Well all the sources seem to disagree as to the 1:1 size of Endurance, some say 56m, others say 74m.....since the filming model was around 7.5m and supposedly 1:15, I scaled it up to 1:1 giving me 112m, then I divided it by 350. So according to my calculashunth Endurance at 1:350 is 320mm diameter. Suits me fine!

1:144 scale realspace models seem to be excellent donor kits, the Airfix space shuttle thrusters are ideal for Endurance's thruster modules.

I'm going to weld a square-section steel bar frame in a whatever a 12 sided shape is called to form a sturdy armature that i will build around and feed electronics through.

10849850_1503991739881199_8486446808621221096_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing progress on this. One correction, the filming miniature was 4.26 meters across.

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. One correction, the filming miniature was 4.26 meters across.

It didn't look like 7.5mto me either.....I just went off what the Interstellar 'making of' book said :wacko
Ah well too late...I drew the crew in 1:350th...they look okay to me.....

15993494526_4ec8ee57eb_h.jpg

16017324111_25074c878c_h.jpg

Awesome, looking forward to seeing this. Is it going to have a little miniature docked Ranger as well?

2 Rangers, and 2 Landers also! I will attach them with rare earth magnets. HOPEFULLY I can work out a way of lighting them as well, so that when docked to Endurance the engines and interiors will be illuminated

Great ! Just thought: "someone will... someone have to do this !" Looking forward for more.
Good luck and happy modeling :)

It didn't look like 7.5mto me either.....I just went off what the Interstellar 'making of' book said :wacko
Ah well too late...I drew the crew in 1:350th...they look okay to me.....

Yeah I don't think it really matters, as long as the proportions are correct. And it's looking good so far.

Awesome projects .. truly also on my "Wanna Do" list ..... I'd perhaps try to match the size of the study-model they made for the shootings ....

Will follow this project for sure

.....since the filming model was around 7.5m and supposedly 1:15, I scaled it up to 1:1 giving me 112m, then I divided it by 350. So according to my calculashunth Endurance at 1:350 is 320mm diameter. Suits me fine!

According to this article http://www.fxguide.com/featured/real-and-raw-the-miniature-fx-behind-interstellar/

The studio model was 14' across ( 4.26 m) .... the picture the the crewman on the ladder next to the model would also indicate that it was not 7.5 m across ..... but just stick to the size you've choosen, and screw scale ... it's going to be awesome anyways :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back