1:2500 Enterprise D Bash

patrickivan

Sr Member
I've been working on this on and off for about 5 years now. I think I took the wrong approach in building it, but I'm committed now.

Sure, I should just use my 3d printer and whip up the section Ive been building, but im too stubborn.

My issue is that I can't get the shapes to smooth out. I fill and sand and fill and sand, and just keep getting streaks and chunks.

Anyway, here's some of it. It's my design. No influence other than a Miranda Class lineage in design.

The aft section is styrene, balsa, plastic and wood filler, and primer to see what needs to be filled in.

Clearly I wanted the organic style of the Galaxy Class that we don't have many ship designs of.

The point of this ship has always been (well before Lower Decks came out) for it to be a post new world discovery long duration exploration vessel. Not really for intellegent post first contact inhabited worlds. That's a different mission parameter.

This is for cataloging indeginous flora and fauna. Assessing the world for potential colonization or use as a Starbase, or to be left to develope without influence.

It has an array of larger shuttles with large shuttle bays aft of the bridge. Large industrial transporters and replicator. A large array of sensor platforms and supporting scientific research labs.The warp core power allocation is therefore primarily routed to support these systems and therefore it's not meant to be as fast or powerful as a Galaxy Class. But that's not an issue. Wars and conflicts are few and far between and in the vastness of space, the reality is that most of Starfleet never sees major aggression that they can't handle.

I don't know how I'll get decals. The US shipping to Canada is insane.

Attachments

• 20200830_111413.jpg
    20200830_111413.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 157
  • 20200830_111400.jpg
    20200830_111400.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
  • 20200830_111428.jpg
    20200830_111428.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
It may be too late now that you've gone this far but maybe wood filler was not your best choice. I like the overall look you've created but you're in for a long road in cleaning that up. I'd suggest AVES or bondo but I have no idea how that would interact with your wood filler...

Jedi Dade

You might be able to save it with Tamiya filler. Coat the filler with CA glue applied with a paper towel, to seal the wood filler.

Some wood filler has a high granularity that sands down quick so as not to mar soft woods. It's meant to fill holes but is poor for sculpting.

TazMan2000

Weird... I'm not getting notifications for replies. Best check my settings for changes.

A bunch of great replies and I missed them.

It may be too late now that you've gone this far but maybe wood filler was not your best choice. I like the overall look you've created but you're in for a long road in cleaning that up. I'd suggest AVES or bondo but I have no idea how that would interact with your wood filler...

Jedi Dade

I love bondo on larger things. I just find it far too much of a pain at this scale. But honestly, when I started it, I was experimenting with different things. And I broke a big rule by using materials that were too dissimilar. Particularly materials that are hygroscopic and also react to temperature changes that could result in dimensional changes at different rates from each other. Particularly the balsa, and different fillers I used.

But I'm committed and stubborn LOL.

I think the bondo would be fine over the wood filler. But again, I just think it would be such a pain to work with on such a small model.

I've never used AVES or any sculpting putty. Primarily because it's so expensive (in Canada anyway).

You might be able to save it with Tamiya filler. Coat the filler with CA glue applied with a paper towel, to seal the wood filler.

Some wood filler has a high granularity that sands down quick so as not to mar soft woods. It's meant to fill holes but is poor for sculpting.

TazMan2000

I used a higher-end low shrink wood filler, but I see where you're going with the CA.

This makes me think of a very high-end filler that I have leftover from redoing my stairs. It skims on beautifully, and if a latex-based material with no shrinkage.

JB Kwick! That is your best friend for model filler. Goes on and dries in 30 minutes, does not shrink and sands like a charm. Try it!

The JB Kwick wood epoxy putty?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back