1:24 Scale B-Wing **Completed**

I do that in the hardware store all the time, when someone walks up and asks if they can help, I just think to myself, no, I do not think so, unless you happen to be a model/prop maker :)
Well, it happened to me not long ago...the prop master from our big local theatre company was shopping/looking for "stuff" at Home Depot and he saw me with my tape...best conversation/tuto/tricks coming from this guy in the store. (y) (y)

I may have asked you this question before but what brand or model printer are you using? The quality of your prints is excellent.

I may have asked you this question before but what brand or model printer are you using? The quality of your prints is excellent.

Thanks, I am using a Prusa Mini and I really like it. I have printed a ton on it and I have not had any issues.

Here is my latest print at .07 this time. It seems to be a good mix of detail and speed. The .05 is great but the print times are crazy. The .25 nozzle has been working great. The .40 is just not able to get the panel lines and the smaller details on the sides of the hulls like the hoses.

20201206_151544.jpg

.40 vs .25 nozzle, the .25 excels when the detail if 'facing up' on the bed. As there is no real way to print this standing up, which would be ideal, this is as close as I can get.

20201206_151923.jpg

More progress on the big B-Wing :)

Print times are slowing way down as I learn to print some of these smaller detailed pieces. I assume I have at least 2 more weeks of printing before I get it 100% one and ready to go. I am having a real issue with a few of the parts, they would be easy with resin...

20201206_153709.jpg

Beautiful work and as I said earlier, your print quality is excellent. I just bought a Creality End 3 V2 and am interested to see how it responds to a .25 nozzle.

Beauty and the cockpit is the bomb! You're going to light up the whole thing also? (y) (y)

No, I was not planning to, until I was cleaning up some parts last night... I may reevaluate that plan as the cockpit is asking to have fiber run into it.

Always loved the bwing,very nice fork!
Are you using the files from cgtrader?

Yes, I have his Y-Wing also. They are pretty awesome files and when comparing them to my Bandai kits, seem pretty accurate.

I
No, I was not planning to, until I was cleaning up some parts last night... I may reevaluate that plan as the cockpit is asking to have fiber run into it.

Yes, I have his Y-Wing also. They are pretty awesome files and when comparing them to my Bandai kits, seem pretty accurate.
I’m printing the ywing now with my photon.

Some of the hoses and other really fine details did not print well, others didn't print at all. For some of these, I will use small aluminum pipes and bend them into the correct shape, for others, I am not sure yet. I need to come up with something that looks like a ribbed hose. If you have any ideas do share!

I use alu tubing or pvc tubing, bent to shape and then I run .3mm solder around it.
you won’t go wrong buying the largest roll of .3mm solder you can find. It works like magic.

I use alu tubing or pvc tubing, bent to shape and then I run .3mm solder around it.
you won’t go wrong buying the largest roll of .3mm solder you can find. It works like magic.

Ah, solder, I have a bunch of that, not sure why I did not think of that. I will give that a try.

Thanks

I

I’m printing the ywing now with my photon.

Awesome, I would love to see that. I have built the USS Sulaco, a 1:24 X-Wing and Interceptor among others. This B-Wing has the only part I have not been able to print so far... I have tried everything I can think of and no matter how I orient the part or play with speeds, the prints are just not great or they detach from the bed.

It's also driving me crazy as it's such a small part... but the shape and detail is oriented just so that getting it right with my current rig is eluding me.

I am really looking hard at the ELEGOO Mars Pro MSLA with UV curing stating. They are on sale right now via Amazon. I wanted to avoid jumping into the resin printer world, but for these smaller detail parts, it just can not be beaten...

20201208_190532.jpg

20201208_190017.jpg

So, I went back to the drawing board and I was able to get this to print, so far. I am working on the second more complicated print but after 4 failed attempts I was able to get this one. The real issue was getting an object with such a small footprint to stick to the bed. I re-calibrated everything and slowed the print speed down a bit and it seems to be working better.

I also used the honeycomb pattern for the supports which works a lot better when building thin vertical supports. My favorite part so far about the .25 nozzle is that the supports just fall off the print with zero effort and leave almost no trace. I did not clean up the part below at all except just taking off the supports.

RPF_Bwing.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work,can't wait to see more of this build!
Try a heavy build primer for that and sand out the lines from printing a bit more with a lesser coarse sandpaper.
I'm a collision repair guy,this way you could save a bunch of sanding time.

I downloaded the same model off of CGTrader along with the Y-Wing. Even though I have a Elegoo Mars, I'm going to wait until I get the Saturn when it comes out and the price calms down.

What scale did you print yours at skahtul ?

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back