1:24 Scale B-Wing (WIP)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Staring to get down to the finer details:

20210227_142904.jpg

I don't have any actual B-Wing decals but I do have a small collection of super-accurate X-Wing, TIE, and Y-Wing plus a few random sets to pick from.

20210227_134922.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

bighead5

The bottom section is coming along great. I was initially going to go more 'accurate' on the colors for this, but I liked my Bandai build so much I said the heck with it, I really like the blue and grey.

The blue/grey is XF 82 (Ocean Gray 2), the Tan paneling is XF-55 (Deck Tan) and all the silver-colored parts are all Alcald Stainless Steel. I really love working with these Alclad lacquers. They go on crazy smooth, are pre-thinned to the perfect level, and clean up in minutes. The darkest parts are XF-69 Nato Black. Once I discovered and started using Nato Black, I almost never use straight black anymore, it's often too harsh for my builds.

Instead of XF 82, I used XF 23 (Light Blue) and gave it a nice black wash afterwards. It’s not as dark as yours, but I think it turned out pretty good.
IMG_4436.jpg

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Instead of XF 82, I used XF 23 (Light Blue) and gave it a nice black wash afterwards. It’s not as dark as yours, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Nice Build!

So, looking at your build I realized I made a fatal mistake putting my cockpit section together. I glued the 'inner' plug into place which sucks as this part came out so awesome! It's so obvious now that I see it :)

20210227_195135.jpg

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ooops indeed...easy to fix?

Well, depends on how you define easy :)

That part is welded together with superglue which sticks insanely well to PLA. I will need to re-print the 4 parts and re-do them. Not too bad overall. But I know if I just mount it one way statically I will be kicking myself later that I did not do the work to make it rotate...

I have a ton to do on the wings anyway so I will just shift focus there while these print in a few days.

bighead5

Nice Build!

So, looking at your build I realized I made a fatal mistake putting my cockpit section together. I glued the 'inner' plug into place which sucks as this part came out so awesome! It's so obvious now that I see it :)

Thanks! Glad I could help you figure it out even if it was inadvertently!

Do your wings stay open if you stand it up so the main wing is up and down? Mine won’t, but I’d like that option... I just haven’t figured out a way to do that yet.

Do you have any decals for yours? I wish I could get my hands on a set for mine!

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks! Glad I could help you figure it out even if it was inadvertently!

Do your wings stay open if you stand it up so the main wing is up and down? Mine won’t, but I’d like that option... I just haven’t figured out a way to do that yet.

Do you have any decals for yours? I wish I could get my hands on a set for mine!

Yeah, better now than when I glued the cockpit on and it was way too late...

Yes, they do stay open. I ground down a hollow aluminum rod until it just fit and the friction seems to be good, at least for now. I am afraid of making the fit too tight as PLA does not do well under a lot of pressure over time.

No... I have some really accurate 1:24 scale decals that are awesome, but they are technically for the X-Wing, Y-Wing, and a few TIE's. I am just going to use a few from some random old kits.

bighead5

Yeah, better now than when I glued the cockpit on and it was way too late...

Yes, they do stay open. I ground down a hollow aluminum rod until it just fit and the friction seems to be good, at least for now. I am afraid of making the fit too tight as PLA does not do well under a lot of pressure over time.

No... I have some really accurate 1:24 scale decals that are awesome, but they are technically for the X-Wing, Y-Wing, and a few TIE's. I am just going to use a few from some random old kits.

Very cool! My kit is resin and not cast by me, so pressure doesn’t really work on mine... plus I broke one of the tips of the wings where it pivots and I had to put a pin in it just to keep it together, so i’d be afraid that it would break with that added pressure.

Are the decals you have from Jason Eaton by chance? I have a set from him that he had made recently, but they don’t have some of the B-Wing decals I was hoping for.