1:24 Scale B-Wing **Completed**

The main body is done, finally!

I am in the process of re-printing one of the wing ends (it's resin and does not hold up like PLA to pressure fits..). After that, the wings are pretty much ready to go. Not I just need to come up with some kind of base and prepare for my favorite (and always the scariest part for me for some reason), weathering! I swear, even though I have a bunch of materials and at this point, I have weathered a fair number of models, these full-sized builds are a bit different and each time seems like it's the first time...

20210314_100556.jpg

20210314_100619.jpg

20210314_100726.jpg

Looking really good! Like you, I always dread the weathering part, and I probably don’t do enough when I do it, but it always ends up turning out better than I expected. I’m sure yours will turn out fantastic also! Can’t wait to see it finished!!

For the base, I didn’t have any mounts placed on mine, so I have it resting on three, clear acrylic posts that have clear, rubber cabinet bumpers on top to keep it from slipping off. Those posts are glued and screwed into partially drilled out holes on a nice piece of plywood I took from a stockpile of extra cabinet shelves. It works for me.

Cheap enough to experiment with!

Another (messy) trick is to use sticky wheel bearing grease. This is how those "soft touch" cassette decks worked back in the day... Maybe a "less-messy" material can be found... Maybe silly putty? Although that eventually runs. Not sure. Just spit-balling now.

Man, I wish I knew about all the tricks you mentioned when I was building mine! I’d have to break to many parts to do those things now. Oh well.

Looking really good! Like you, I always dread the weathering part, and I probably don’t do enough when I do it, but it always ends up turning out better than I expected. I’m sure yours will turn out fantastic also! Can’t wait to see it finished!!

For the base, I didn’t have any mounts placed on mine, so I have it resting on three, clear acrylic posts that have clear, rubber cabinet bumpers on top to keep it from slipping off. Those posts are glued and screwed into partially drilled out holes on a nice piece of plywood I took from a stockpile of extra cabinet shelves. It works for me.

I have one mount point on the back, and it's pretty solid but with PLA you need to be careful as it does not always hold up to stress over time. I think I will use a combo of the mount point in the back with an aluminum rod and then rest part of it on something like you described.

You know you are getting close when you start mocking up the display! The one I have pictured is just my 'jig' for working on many of my builds, but I think I know how this is going to work and I have ordered all the parts.

It's going on an upper shelf so I wanted to have it at a slight angle.

20210320_133534.jpg

20210320_133546.jpg

It's so nice to be out in the garage painting and enjoying the warm weather instead of huddled in one of my unfinished rooms! These are the last set of WIP pics, next update will be the finished kit. Probably about 2 weeks on that as I always let the paint dry for a very long time before gloss and then flat coating.

20210403_152526.jpg

20210403_160202.jpg

Yes, sir, it's a great little kit.

Working on the base for it, I am not a fan of the huge resin printed bases as I can never seem to get them right.

20210408_204609.jpg

20210408_204615.jpg

Also, I am sorting through my weathering kit so I can start in on the B-Wing, so many options! This is my favorite part of the build for sure. I never know exactly where to start, especially on this one as it's WAY larger than anything else I have done before.

20210408_204913.jpg

This is pretty close to the final product, I hit it pretty hard with the airbrush this morning. Thanks to Analyzer for the video link to some paint techniques and the suggestion of a mist coat on another thread, I used both of these processes in this paint job and it really helped.

I just need to give the oil paints about a week to dry and then I can flat coat it. I will start in on the base build today so that it will be ready for the final model when it's done.

20210410_125841.jpg

20210410_125911.jpg

20210410_125931.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back