1:24 Scale B-Wing **Completed**

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's time for another 3D printed project, this time around it's a 1:24 scale B-Wing. While I realize that the exact scale is always up for debate from model to model, the research I have done and input I have already received from members here is the B-Wing was really a 1:35 scale or around there, I am no expert on these by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have recently finished both my 1:24 X-Wing and TIE, so for me, it's more important that this fits with those other models.

This is my son's favorite ship. I am thinking about building this and my Bandai side by side so that I can compare the two models.

I also have on had a new .25 nozzle for my Prusa Mini and I am going to experiment and see what the limits of my printer are. It will go all the way down to .05, and with that new smaller nozzle I am looking to get some better prints for the really fine detailed parts like the cockpit. Or it will just be a big blob, only time will tell!

The other change I am making is that the few larger parts that will not fit on my printer I am just slicing in half... In my last few builds, a few items were not able to fit onto the printer so I used a larger printer that I have access to at my work. This time around I will try to improve my awful putty skills and hopefully make the seams disappear :)

Without further ado, here are the first items that have already come off the printer.

20201101_011849.jpg

20201101_210228.jpg

20201102_003846.jpg

I had to throw a few pictures of my printer on here as the prints that come off this machine really are fantastic. I am continually blown away by how little support it needs for most prints as it really handles some crazy overhangs with ease. This wing printed perfectly with almost no support...

20201105_152815.jpg

The small kit has the primer coat applied and I have a color scheme picked out. Since I will be doing a more traditional paint job on the 1:24 scale kit, I am going to take a few liberties with the Bandai kit :)

20201122_163732.jpg

20201123_231829.jpg

All of the large prints are done, now it's onto the small prints. It has been fun to build both kits at the same time, the modeler of the large kit did a fantastic job and it has pretty much all the detail of the Bandai kit. Also, the larger kit has no instructions so it has actually helped to have them both side by side.

20201123_230506.jpg

Some of the hoses and other really fine details did not print well, others didn't print at all. For some of these, I will use small aluminum pipes and bend them into the correct shape, for others, I am not sure yet. I need to come up with something that looks like a ribbed hose. If you have any ideas do share!

20201124_213327.jpg

20201124_213246.jpg

How big are those ribbed hoses suppose to be? Guitar strings might do the trick. If you have a music/instrument store near you, you could always check the size/scale in person (y)

I will check that out, there are a few different sizes.

Guitar strings come in multiple sizes. Not only are they different sizes for different notes, bu they come thicker or thinner depending on what you buy... so you might be able to find something that works.

If you have a music store near you, you could bring one of your printed piece and compare the scale right away;)

If you have a music store near you, you could bring one of your printed piece and compare the scale right away;)

I do have a music store here, I will have to check it out. And if I bring one of the parts with me, they won't look at me weird at all, right? :)

Nah...I do that all the time ( to my wife's chagrin :p) I usually walk into hardware/music/toy/store with a measuring tape (the soft one that you can roll up into a little ball) or pieces of models. Yes, some will do a double-take and others will try to help you find the piece or come-up with a solution to help you.;)

I do that in the hardware store all the time, when someone walks up and asks if they can help, I just think to myself, no, I do not think so, unless you happen to be a model/prop maker :)

I finally have all the larger parts printed so I was able to swap out the standard .40 nozzle for the .25, all I can say is wow! The part on the left was printed with the .40 at .10 layer height. The part on the right was printed with the new .25 nozzle at .05 layer height... Yeah, that's tiny!

Granted, I realized after I printed the part on the left that it was actually not 100% flat on the bed, so it looks much worse than it would otherwise since it was not flat on the bed.

20201129_185540.jpg

What layer lines? This part is so smooth it would require only about 30 seconds of sanding to get rid of the lines, which in person I can not see but I am sure primer and paint will reveal them.

20201129_211907.jpg

Does .05 layer settings print slow, heck yeah! But for these small parts, it's incredible how much better the print is. The .25 does not help in all situations, but when the part (like a few on this kit) have to be printed in an orientation that forces the detail to be face-up, it makes a massive difference.

I will post a few more as I have 3 more parts that I am currently re-printing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back